Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Kimbo said:
I agree with the assessments that with his body-type and skills he is (potentially) a very good player.

No doubting that he is a good player, he is a great mark for his size and a very solid build but at times either his decision making or kicking lets him down. On numerous occasions last year he would miss easy targets, missed some goals that 9 times out of 10 you would back anyone to kick. I just think that if he can get rid of the kicking yips and use the first option, not necessarily the best he will turn out to be a very good player for us wether it be midfield, forward or half back.

99GloryDayz said:
All the best for you too this weekend mate, should be a good game indeed.

What i live about Port is they have a history and tradition, which is what no other team from WA/ SA has.

Your spot on mate - but be careful saying such a thing around here -

99GloryDayz said:
All the best for you too this weekend mate, should be a good game indeed.

What i live about Port is they have a history and tradition, which is what no other team from WA/ SA has.

Maybe the Dockers should have been called the South Fremantle Dockers, then there would have been 100 years of tradition :confused:

i think corey jones is definitely a forward, hes a great mark and has a decent leap. i dunno if the midfield is for him, theres something about his style of play that is to slow for the midfield i think. plus i believe we have many capable midfielders as it stands

I don't quite know what to feel about Corey Jones. The game against Carlton last year when he had the foresight and confidence to grab the ball and take the shot at goal (because he was the only left footer near the ball?) and win the game - that was a man who has taken the next step.

Yet his name is always mentioned as trade bait and we seem unable to secure a long term contract with him. I think that's why I try not to get too excited about Corey, I'm always worried he may end up at another club and start killing us over the next 10 years. :eek:

X-Gen said:
I don't quite know what to feel about Corey Jones. The game against Carlton last year when he had the foresight and confidence to grab the ball and take the shot at goal (because he was the only left footer near the ball?) and win the game - that was a man who has taken the next step.

Yet his name is always mentioned as trade bait and we seem unable to secure a long term contract with him. I think that's why I try not to get too excited about Corey, I'm always worried he may end up at another club and start killing us over the next 10 years. :eek:
That was against Sydney (Archer's 250th), mate how could you mistake that game?

He becomes trade bait when he 'under-performs' and Kimbo has made a clear and concise opening remark that defines CJ. Can't agree more.

With the emphasis of keeping the pressure on as stated by Simmo (thanx sross) the likes of CJ have to think fast. I just think CJ takes way too long to make a decision, thus missing his open options. The goal from the boundary vs the Swans stands at his finest moment but I recall many other gutsy plays he has made in the heat of the moment that are 'right up there' with what makes a 'real champion'. Keep it coming (regular) CJ.

I bloody love him! He some some incredibly freakish things some times - like that incredible over the head goal last year but then goes missing. I might be a bit biased but I think there has been a slow incremental improvement in all aspects of his game over time and that he is becoming more consistent.

Thought Corey Jones was sensational Saturday Night. After what I thought was a good solid aggressive game for him against Geelong, he came out against Port building on that, kicking the ball well and even though 4.3 looks a little off he only missed one set shot, and none of them were very easy.

Is 2005 the year Jones can come out, kick 40 goals and reach his potential as a footballer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he may just be starting to believe what he is capable of. Also the added improvement of wells, harris and rawlings in the middle as well as harvey and grant playing in the forward line really help him in both areas on the field. He is not always matched up on somebody who can run with him and match him overhead. I think 2 goals a game average would be an outstanding return for him and the roos.

the word going around is that corey jones is out with a suspect knee. Was on blue view... so not sure if its just a hope from them or not

can someone please prove me wrong - would be much obliged if you could

bloody hope its not true, with him and motlop out we will have problems

jmain14 said:
ash to play this week - finally he gets a chance at it.

It would be a massive surprise to see Ash play. One game in the ones all pre-season.

Won't happen.

it would be a surprise bc he doesnt deserve to get a game at the moment. only played in the seniors team for 1 game during the pre season and didnt do much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back