Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its time he moved in the midfield, but now with Jnr out we need him up forward.

fahmi said:
I think its time he moved in the midfield, but now with Jnr out we need him up forward.
Nope, he plays his best football off a HFF. If we can rely on Harris, Firrito, Rawlings, Wells, Simpson and Piccioane in the centre square, then we could have the most dynamic half forward flankers in the AFL in Grant and CJ.

There is no way they will let him go.I think ppl can be a bit harsh sometimes but i would never trade a player like him.He has pace and he can kick a big goal when he has to.Plus he still has a lot of improvement and he will be a good player for us for yrs to came.

I think a few may have missed the fact that this is a thread dug up from August last year prior to trade period.

I'm happy to repeat my comments made after our opening Wizard Cup game against Geelong. Namely, that Corey is someone I have previously thought was over-rated by posters on this board BUT I think he has begun to deliver on his potential, which many of us could see, but were frustrated that he wasn't doing much with.

So far this year he has assumed more responsibility, increased his consistency and workload and shown leadership from the ranks of "mid-tier" players. In fact, based on his form so far, he has begun to move up into the top tier...

Corey, well done and keep it up! :)

Simple mathematics.

Good point Benno, when Hale went off with an injury in the last the Hawks got a bit of momentum happening.

Hale played well again. Good option in front of goals as well. Jones does some great things and kicks some great ones but misses some easier shots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danny Jacobs just got the towelling of his life by multiple opponents.

Jones, Hale & Grant all had great games - the best aspect of it are that these guys seem to be putting in week in- week out now and its that sort of consistency that has been the difference this year to last.

We don't seem to be dropping games to the weaker sides so far and if we keep this up we could almost be a little ahead of schedule than what we thought we would be

Everitt was fantastic around the ground, no doubt. But in the ruck, when Hale was sharing the load almost equally with Thompson the numbers;

Everitt 20
Taylor 5
--
Hale 17
Thompson 8

I'm very happy with that, and Hale had 8 which were directly to advantage, more than Everitt as Hawthorn had like 6 in total.

Corey Jones will be better than Chris Tarrant.
As much as i dont like Tarrant.. i think he's overrated.
I think Corey Jones plays alot like Tarrant.
*Both Strong over head marking targets
*Both booming left foot kicks
*Both strong leading forwards.

One thing Tarrant has over Jones is his superior pace, but one thing Jones has over Tarrant is his strength.

Does anyone agree?

All I can say is thank god you didn't put this question on the main board.

I think Corey is great value for us, but Tarrant is (or has been) a fantastic mark, one on one or in/over a pack, and a key reason Collingwood were propeled to two GFs. And Tarrant is a very strong guy - although I'm not sure he's got better as he's built up more. CJ has a bit of a gap to make up there.

Of course now Tarrant is having trouble kicking goals it may be easier for CJ to make up the distance. ;)

btw is CJ still topping the league in frees for? I was very pleased with that stat.

I think they are rather different players.

Tarrant is probably better in a pack and Jones better on the ground.

And i dont know about Jones being Stronger than Tarrant, granted Buff does not equal strength but Tarrant is surely bigger than Jones.

That said, i too, due largely to my overwhelming bias, prefer Jones, but if tarrant played for NMFC that would be a different story. ;)

wombles said:
I think they are rather different players.

Tarrant is probably better in a pack and Jones better on the ground.

And i dont know about Jones being Stronger than Tarrant, granted Buff does not equal strength but Tarrant is surely bigger than Jones.

That said, i too, due largely to my overwhelming bias, prefer Jones, but if tarrant played for NMFC that would be a different story. ;)

my thoughts exactly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back