Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, and don't forget Wellsy's goal with 8 secs on the clock (obviously not a Sydney time keeper on duty that day ;) )

I'd have to say that a 'on song' CJ would have to rate in the Top 10 AFL players in the AFL. Surely alot of his natural instincts and grit get washed away with his inconsistancy. My Swans supporting bro-in-law said he would instantly trade for CJ over many other AFL player and that's not based on that Infamous Goal he kicked in the dying minute of the Swans game last season.

If the game is close and we're leading v Essendon, I'd have no doubt of which player to chose to have his hands wrapped around the ball and making those monkees from Windy Hill sweat for the eternal moment that CJ knows how to milk down. :D

Woodson said:
I'd have to say that a 'on song' CJ would have to rate in the Top 10 AFL players in the AFL. Surely alot of his natural instincts and grit get washed away with his inconsistancy. My Swans supporting bro-in-law said he would instantly trade for CJ over many other AFL player and that's not based on that Infamous Goal he kicked in the dying minute of the Swans game last season.

If the game is close and we're leading v Essendon, I'd have no doubt of which player to chose to have his hands wrapped around the ball and making those monkees from Windy Hill sweat for the eternal moment that CJ knows how to milk down. :D
Top 10 in AFL? Nope.
At NMFC? Certainly.

The man oozes ability. HF flankers aren't ment to be insanly consistant anyway. If he kicks 30 goals this season he has done his job.

Woodson said:

I agree with you, it is a pity he is on song only for like 3 games a year. Some more consistancy would be helpful.

He has kicked 18 goals in 13 games, is on track for about 30. He should be around 50-60 goal player, espeically without a whole host of other tall targets for the midfielders to go to. He has the ability to kick 2-3 goals a game on average, not just the 1.3 or whatever it is.

I wish we could get him playing more towards his ability more frequently.

CJ is a real barometer. When he plays well, we almost always win. He is a genuine loose canon though. You never know what the hell he's gonna do in any given situation. I liked his comment after he kicked 3goals 3behinds against Collingwood I think this year when he said, "Yeah, nah. I kicked 3 goals 3, I could've kicked 8 or 9."

Good article on CJ

Like his dog, Jones gets the job done
Scott Coghlan
June 29, 2005
KANGAROOS forward Corey Jones is as unfashionable as his dog Russ, a regular at training at Arden Street.

Russ is allegedly part-labrador, part-border collie, but Jones's team-mates reckon it looks like a greyhound. And even its owner admits he's a bit uncertain.

"I think something must have jumped the fence," Jones said.

But like Jones and the unfashionable Roos, Russ gets the job done.

"He's a great dog. He thinks he's human," Jones said.

If Russ could talk, he could probably shed a fair bit of light on Jones, who shies away from publicity and has followed an unusual path through the early stages of his career, but nonetheless has emerged as a vital player for the Kangaroos.

From the Victorian town of Wycheproof, which has a population of only 800 but boasts an astonishingly successful team in the North Central Football League, Jones played in an NCFL league premiership when he was just 16.

He played for Bendigo in the under-18s but was not surprised he was overlooked by AFL clubs at draft time.

However, his gamble on a season with Sturt, in the SANFL, paid dividends.

"I didn't want to play in the VFL and had heard Adelaide was a great spot with a good competition," Jones, 24, said.

"I was young and had no ties, so I thought I may as well have a crack at it.

"I high-tailed over to Adelaide by myself. I packed up my gear and headed off in my car.

"It was pretty daunting, but they were a great bunch of blokes and we had a good year.

"I thought it was 50-50 on draft day (2000) and only went at No.60, but I was rapt when my name got read out."

Like his pooch, the former Geelong supporter proves looks aren't everything.

Socks down, jumper out and often gasping for air, the 187cm Jones is more about substance than style.

He's not blessed with the explosive pace of a Daniel Wells, but has strong hands, boasts a sharp football brain and there is even a touch of the freakish within him.

Jones kicked one of the goals of the year against Carlton while being slung in a tackle early last season and then etched his name into Arden Street history with his last-minute goal from the boundary line to snatch victory over Sydney in Glenn Archer's 250th game.

Jones's goal in 2005 was to provide a more reliable output.

Although he's played every game, is on track to achieve his pre-season aim of 30 goals (18 so far), and is averaging 14 touches a game from half-forward, Jones believes he still needs to do a little more.

"I set myself to achieve a higher level of consistency," Jones said.

"I've been solid, but I haven't been great. I've had a couple of down games and I've had a couple of better games.

"I'll hopefully step up from here but the main thing is that the team keeps winning."

Things are going well for Jones at the moment, but it hasn't been all smooth sailing during his time with the Roos.

Partial to a red wine, his first season ended with a disciplinary suspension for being drunk at the club's Team of the Century function.

Last year Jones was only on a one-year deal and was set to skip the club's first pre-season session as negotiations dragged on.

But a phone call from coach Dean Laidley had Jones on the track and a new contract was subsequently signed.

Now 71 games into his AFL career, Jones admits club and player are a good fit.

"There are a lot of country boys, like me, and they are good to mix with," he said.

"We are pretty tight and we stick together a fair bit."

Russ won't be there, but Jones will have an important role to play when the Kangaroos renew their rivalry with Essendon at Telstra Dome on Saturday night.

Good on you Scottywiper! Now we know why Scotty was asking all these questions on this board about Corey Jones's goal against Carlton last year...Looks like the Australian is going to have the most North articles out of all the BigFooty papers...They obviously don't share the view that we aren't important...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are bonus features!
This was on the end but got cut for space reasons:

Another win and both Jones and the new generation of Kangaroos will have edged significantly closer to a finals berth few outside the club predicted.
“Outside opinions don’t really worry us,” he said.
“We are on track for the goals we set at the start of the year.
“The majority of the group have been together for three years now and we do want to play finals.”

Loved the dog in the pic, as Corey said he thinks he's human, I had a dog like that once, they are great fun when they think they are humans, dogs that is.

scottywiper said:
There are bonus features!
This was on the end but got cut for space reasons:

Another win and both Jones and the new generation of Kangaroos will have edged significantly closer to a finals berth few outside the club predicted.
“Outside opinions don’t really worry us,” he said.
“We are on track for the goals we set at the start of the year.
“The majority of the group have been together for three years now and we do want to play finals.”

Bloody Australian. Just after I've ginven them a rap for "having the guts" to publish two North articles in as many weeks, they cut out important part of the article... :mad:

vlad76 said:
Bloody Australian. Just after I've ginven them a rap for "having the guts" to publish two North articles in as many weeks, they cut out important part of the article... :mad:
I wouldn't be too concerned. if there are space concerns it's usually just a chop off the bottom.

Nice one Scotty!

Now i saw you talk to CJ for an hour in the club rooms after the great win over the Dockers last week , so what else have you got for us BF posters?

Well, in that case, great job Dudley ;)

Keep up the good work mate..............hell.............someone needs to be plugging us!

ONYA

T'toes

edit: Is CJ on yet another ONE year contract for 2005? Or is this one different? I can't remember..........cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #21: Corey Jones - drafted w/ #60 in '00 ND - retired during '10 season - thanks CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back