AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

We keep Sheedy on the board, why wouldnā€™t we keep Heppell on the field?

Itā€™s simply extraordinary that they still cannot make hard decisions.

Opposite way, as an example, was Hawthorn with both Hodge and Mitchell.
Sheedy didn't vote for this. You keep that in mind when brad brings boomer harvey out of retirement.

I mean.

Roberts could be tried.

Hayes could be tried.

Cox could swing back.
why give youth a crack when we've got someone with 250~ games of experience.

no need to give them a shot

Looks like he is getting games anyway, so is there actually anywhere on the field we could use him/hide him.

Back up to wing more or as sub, comes on when everyone bit more tired or slows down. Or just ensure he matches up on any other mid 30 players who might be in last year as there bodies cooked. Might have to wait until port (boak), sidebottom (coll) games though.

or maybe not as I would have said a 30+ year old melksham off a acl was a good match up but he just got cooked by him.

Been a great servant but eye test says he gets exploited on transition too often now.

Heppellā€™s leadership is extremely valuable given how young our backline is. I believe the average age would only be about 27. Vice captain McGrath who was drafted for his leadership will get there eventually, but heā€™s only been in the system for 8 years.
So valuable, look where his leadership has taken us

We keep Sheedy on the board, why wouldnā€™t we keep Heppell on the field?

Itā€™s simply extraordinary that they still cannot make hard decisions.

Opposite way, as an example, was Hawthorn with both Hodge and Mitchell.
"It was the hardest conversation I've ever had to have, telling Dyson he's omitted. So yeah, I'm never having that conversation again."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately this is one of the visions that will live in my memory when I think about our celebration of mediocrity for the last 20 years šŸ™ canā€™t imagine Hodge or Selwood having this kind of enthusiasm for a close loss

Selwood had the luxury of playing at a club with one of the highest long-term W:L rates in history. I think Heppell is flawed but he's also had a very different career to guys like Selwood or Hodge through reasons not really of his own making.

You can see that he's still coming to terms with the fact that its over for him. He's got no confidence in his game any more. He hasn't since he was first 'rested'. Brad will again publicly say he's handled his next omission like a professional (trying to let him down gently) but in truth Dyson is now mentally shot as well as physically. You thank him for everything of course but he'd benefit this teams future the most by calling it himself immediately and saying farewell

If he was a true leader he'd drop himself and give someone else a go.

Won't.

FIGJAM and always was. Won the captaincy from a popularity contest because he let everyone do what they want and we're still trying to undo that damage to the playing culture to this day.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back