AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Mind is willing, body wasnā€™t this time last year, let alone now.

Just as bad as Dixon on Friday night in the physically finished stakes, just goes to ground every single time.

The fact he was brought straight back into the side when he is clearly not AFL standard is beyond belief. You think Sam Mitchell would be letting this bloke get a game in that Hawks team ? Brad has to go. He continues to make idiotic decisions week in week out.

I just don't think there's another team in the comp that would have had this much trouble moving on from a half-back flanker who has been so obviously past it for so long.

Heppell is a great citizen from all accounts, he'll probably always be well regarded by fans once he retires, but it's unbelievable that his future at the club is still a conversation. It's astonishing.

He should get one more game as a send off once we're mathematically eliminated and then he should retire.

Scotty has experience getting older blokes to retire, time to work his magic on Hepp.

I wish he would do a David Myers and drop himself to the VFL. But instead we get a media report on Heppell being devastated at being dropped for a week, and then he's back into the seniors.

He should get one more game as a send off once we're mathematically eliminated and then he should retire.

Scotty has experience getting older blokes to retire, time to work his magic on Hepp.
He's done it gently but its already happened. Sub, 'managed', omitted, and then today not so gently leaving him on Mitch Owens to be absolutely slaughtered all afternoon. A month ago Heppell genuinely thought he was a chance to go on next year and probably hadnt ruled out 300 games. He'll be tapped on the shoulder if he doesn't call it himself

If he doesn't acknowledge that his time is up and still insists on playing on, drop him to the VFL and he can find a new club for next year.

If he gives it up give him a fairwell game. It's time to stop acting like he's some heart and soul player. He's unaccountable and shouldn't of been given this season let alone next.

Will he? Because this should have already happened last year. We seem like the club who will give him another year because he's a good bloke to have around.
If i had to bet either way id say yes he will be tapped if he doesnt call it. Lots of us think it should've happened a few years ago and we wouldn't be wrong. We'll see what happens.

I dunno if I took way to much out of his pre game 200 run out and getting around all his mates and family for so long that his team mates were left standing at the banner thinking what the **** is going on. I havenā€™t really looked at Hep the same since that night. Feel like from then till now heā€™s been an individual that hasnā€™t wanted to give it away because he loves the lifestyle of an afl player so much, and we have allowed him to do so.

I dunno if I took way to much out of his pre game 200 run out and getting around all his mates and family for so long that his team mates were left standing at the banner thinking what the **** is going on. I havenā€™t really looked at Hep the same since that night. Feel like from then till now heā€™s been an individual that hasnā€™t wanted to give it away because he loves the lifestyle of an afl player so much, and we have allowed him to do so.
Would not be far off the mark. At the minimum he should have finished at the end of last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are eliminated.

Just let it go.

I think he's just a bit simple and lacks self awareness rather than being selfish. The club has looked after him because of the saga and he struggles to recognise it as charity and laps it up

It did seem a bit OTT from afar.

Itā€™s unpopular to defend him, but he was far from our worst last night. The problems are woven into the sash at this point, and run a lot deeper than a man who is one of the few who gives absolute commitment and effort every time he runs out there.
Effort alone won't cut it at this level. You still have to be able to impact the contest.

Yeah, he had a few good games early but when the heat is on he can't pysically stay with the opposition. They run off him with ease. There is no intensity at the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell - Goodnight, sweet prince. What a legend! šŸ¤™ - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back