Draft Review 21st Century draft game - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say we allow him time to take his 2 picks. We’ve generally allowed a bit of leeway here when mistakes are made thus far.
He did anyway haha. No stress.

Okay, reasoning time:

Sean Dempster: Sean is one of the more underrated medium defenders going around. He can shut down a range of opponents, having successfully quelled the likes of Eddie Betts and Stephen Milne in his time as well as guys like Jack Gunston. Not only that but his general reading of play and very good footskills meant he could damage the opposition the other way. I didn't think he'd last until my next set of picks so I jumped in earlier than I wanted to here to make sure I got him.

Callum Mills: I considered taking another defender or another small forward here but I saw that my list of balanced inside mids was dwindling and wanted to make sure I got him. He's the perfect addition because he's a solid ball winner but he also covers plenty defensively and uses the ball well, he and Ward are a very good balancing act to Watson and Rozee, and he can always move into defence if I need him to as well.

FBSean DempsterDarren Glass (vc)???
HBJordan RidleyMichael Hurley???
MFBrent StantonJobe Watson (c)Kieran Jack
HF???Jack RiewoldtRyan O'Keefe
FFTom PapleyTom HawkinsKurt Tippett
OBBrad OttensConnor RozeeCallan Ward (vc)
IC???Callum Mills
IC??????

Okay, reasoning time:

Sean Dempster: Sean is one of the more underrated medium defenders going around. He can shut down a range of opponents, having successfully quelled the likes of Eddie Betts and Stephen Milne in his time as well as guys like Jack Gunston. Not only that but his general reading of play and very good footskills meant he could damage the opposition the other way. I didn't think he'd last until my next set of picks so I jumped in earlier than I wanted to here to make sure I got him.

Callum Mills: I considered taking another defender or another small forward here but I saw that my list of balanced inside mids was dwindling and wanted to make sure I got him. He's the perfect addition because he's a solid ball winner but he also covers plenty defensively and uses the ball well, he and Ward are a very good balancing act to Watson and Rozee, and he can always move into defence if I need him to as well.

FBSean DempsterDarren Glass (vc)???
HBJordan RidleyMichael Hurley???
MFBrent StantonJobe Watson (c)Kieran Jack
HF???Jack RiewoldtRyan O'Keefe
FFTom PapleyTom HawkinsKurt Tippett
OBBrad OttensConnor RozeeCallan Ward (vc)
IC???Callum Mills
IC??????
You'll stretch a few teams with that forward line. I'm sending Macca at Hawk, Harley to Tippett and Davis get his preferred role on Riewoldt.

I have my projector out again for pick #259, and I'm going with Jason Horne-Francis.

This guy is a future Brownlow Medallist, and will be a fantastic midfield rotation with the likes of Bontempelli (who can rest forward), Daicos (who can set up forward thrusts from half back), and triple premiership captain Cotchin.

Welcome to Collingwood, JHF!

Last edited:
I'd prefer we not pick immediately after someone makes an error in their selection. Let's at least give them a chance to correct it before we plow on please. People that are busy may have done the right thing and quickly made a selection and not hung around because they don't have another selection for a while. Once the normal time limit expires (from the previous pick, not the erroneous one), we can keep picking.

I know we are all super keen to take our next pick but I think we maintain a bit of leeway.

(In this instance, it didn't impact anyone as reggie had sent me his picks last night and the players taken after him were not on his preference sheet so all good!)

Bolton is a great pick, even if he arguably should be delivering higher on his potential. Put him in a dynamic team and he'd be dominating the league.

I wanted to pair him with Wingard but accepted he would go well before my next pick.
Thanks mate...I was thrilled to land him. My forward half has come together nicely.

I'd prefer we not pick immediately after someone makes an error in their selection. Let's at least give them a chance to correct it before we plow on please. People that are busy may have done the right thing and quickly made a selection and not hung around because they don't have another selection for a while. Once the normal time limit expires (from the previous pick, not the erroneous one), we can keep picking.

I know we are all super keen to take our next pick but I think we maintain a bit of leeway.

(In this instance, it didn't impact anyone as reggie had sent me his picks last night and the players taken after him were not on his preference sheet so all good!)

It's all been sorted now hasn't it, so Fadge is up?

I do agree with what you said though, we should not just plough on if someone makes a mistake. The further we go the more likely it is too.

Neither but I don't mind.
So my song contest tagging is worthless?

Btw if you guys get bored waiting. Come join us in the sc and nominate a song. Dm me a youtube link of a song title, artist or album that is a city, or town. I will let you know if song is eligible.

Got 10 songs so far. Its addictive so come join us.

I have my projector out again for pick #259, and I'm going with Jason Horne-Francis.

This guy is a future Brownlow Medallist, and will be a fantastic midfield rotation with the likes of Bontempelli (who can rest forward), Daicos (who can set up forward thrusts from half back), and triple premiership captain Cotchin.

Welcome to Collingwood, JHF!
Future Nathan Buckley. One of my fav players. Seeing my first AFL game in a year on Saturday and hoping he rips through Sydneys midfield.

I wanted him for my final player

Some people are so impatient

WCE pick 260
Justin Westhoff

I wanted a bloke who can play wing but also give extra marking and scoring power to the forward line and drift back to help out.

He can play nearly anywhere.

Highly skilled for a tall bloke, aerobic beast with a great footy nous.

All about balance, I think a perfect match

WCE pick 260
Justin Westhoff

I wanted a bloke who can play wing but also give extra marking and scoring power to the forward line and drift back to help out.

He can play nearly anywhere.

Highly skilled for a tall bloke, aerobic beast with a great footy nous.

All about balance, I think a perfect match
Too considered him for swingman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reason

Jed Adcock
Was looking for a small defender with a bit of run, a little bit of a panicked selection after falsely selecting Montagna but overall I think is an underrated player who would play very well in a good side.

Jarrad Waite
For a guy that played a bit of everywhere he has an impressive goal tally and could also pinch hit in the ruck or go down back if needed as well. Ryder majority ruck with Waite and Daniher for short stints is a pretty solid combination I think.

My side so far
Very happy with the defence, I have some stars and also some great ball users now. I think for my back pocket I will look for a pure small defender who is great at shutting opposing smalls down.

Midfield Camporeale on the wing is a real bonus I like the idea of him and Corey with Corey patrolling the midfield era and more defensive and Camporeale running forward and getting a lot of clean inside 50 on to O loughlin and Brown leading up.

Forward
Daniher is my star Key and Waite and Ryder to be the other target if Daniher can have some days out and the other two can 50/50 contests and be along bomb option who pops up for 3-4 occasionally I would be very happy with that. I want Micky O as the prime leading target out of deep forward with also the ability to have one of Didak or Brown as a high half forward and the other pushing into the square to lead up or crumb as well, I would prefer them to rotate the roles where one plays high and the other plays deeper and they keep swapping throughout games to add confusion. One more forward pocket to come.

Bench- This will be fun to select, I’m not sure who yet but will take some risks.

I'm going to start going through each draft pick so I can start to do some write ups before I vote. I think it's going to be tough so I think we should give reasonable time to rank the teams.

I know there's a few players coming up that I'd forgotten about or hadn't really noticed in the past like Sean Dempster so I'll need to look over some of their highlights and what they bring to the table. And Brad Sheppard, I couldn't remember if he's the guy that used to get Robbie Gray on gameday.

Players like Clements were very narrow in their game but with a star studded team that's all they need to do and everyone else can do their job so I'm inclined to think a player like him will be very valuable.

I think there will be a lot of personal influence in this and arbitrary metrics. We've all go our players that we followed growing up. I had a lot of influence on the Brisbane/Collingwood/Port/Saints of 01-04, WCE and Sydney in 05 and 06, Hawthorn for the rest of time, Saints 09-12.

I've been a Port fan for life and started following the Dockers 2 years ago. Understandably the players I picked were somewhat personal more than they were smart.

I'm going to start going through each draft pick so I can start to do some write ups before I vote. I think it's going to be tough so I think we should give reasonable time to rank the teams.

I know there's a few players coming up that I'd forgotten about or hadn't really noticed in the past like Sean Dempster so I'll need to look over some of their highlights and what they bring to the table. And Brad Sheppard, I couldn't remember if he's the guy that used to get Robbie Gray on gameday.

Players like Clements were very narrow in their game but with a star studded team that's all they need to do and everyone else can do their job so I'm inclined to think a player like him will be very valuable.

I think there will be a lot of personal influence in this and arbitrary metrics. We've all go our players that we followed growing up. I had a lot of influence on the Brisbane/Collingwood/Port/Saints of 01-04, WCE and Sydney in 05 and 06, Hawthorn for the rest of time, Saints 09-12.

I've been a Port fan for life and started following the Dockers 2 years ago. Understandably the players I picked were somewhat personal more than they were smart.
I like your selections for your forward line Reiwoldt was a big move that high and to pair with Curnow it’s a nightmare for defenders to go with them. But your flanks and pockets are close to my favourite Heeney, Giansiracusa, Breust great balance and smart players that do more than kick goals which you already have covered.

Time for me to take 2 x AA Austinn "Aussie" Jones

FB - Prestigiacomo Smith
HB-Jones Lake Houli
C Cooney Priddis Kelly
HF Bell Lucas Robertson
F - Fevola Pickett
R Goodes Francou Brayshaw
Int - - - -
Sub -

I like your selections for your forward line Reiwoldt was a big move that high and to pair with Curnow it’s a nightmare for defenders to go with them. But your flanks and pockets are close to my favourite Heeney, Giansiracusa, Breust great balance and smart players that do more than kick goals which you already have covered.
Thanks. Shannon Grant was the missing piece. My only concern, maybe I'm overthinking it is my two tall defenders. I think they're great but they aren't as good as Scarlo. I think you're realistically defending 3 talls. The third is usually a 1.95m tall third man up. I think Howe has good smarts and awareness for ball tracking and provides a quality third man up defender, and don't undestimate Birchall to defend either. Hurn is a solid choice too. My last defender I'm not entirely sure what I want now that Kade Simpson is gone. I'd like to experiment with Ballard but he's still a way to go.

Not sure how much I missed this by, but up early to watch the Olympics.

With a need to fill both a back pocket and a forward pocket, why not select a player who has received All-Australian honors in both?

He also has a highlights package up there with the best of them.

With pick #252, we welcome back to the Collingwood Football Club, Leon Davis.

Over to you, reggie
Flopped in the Grand Final

Pick 262 - Windrunners - Brad Green

Kicked 350 goals across 254 games as a high half forward, providing a lead up target, crumbing option and plenty of grunt/forward pressure.
An especially pleasing number of goals considering he played much of his prime in a severely poorly performing Melbourne team.

Was renowned for his toughness and leadership, even going on to captain the Australian team against Ireland.

Unlucky not to make All Australian (did make the squad - but hardly any of these types of players make the team!) but was a club B&F winner.

FB: Enright - Weitering - Maxwell
HB: Sinclair - Talia - Goddard
C: Merrett - Mitchell- McCluggage
HF: Parker - Darling - B. Green
FF ? - Walker - ?
R: Gawn - Pendlebury - Thompson
B: ? - ? - ? - ?

RedmanWasHere you’re up

Pick 262 - Windrunners - Brad Green

Kicked 350 goals across 254 games as a high half forward, providing a lead up target, crumbing option and plenty of grunt/forward pressure.
An especially pleasing number of goals considering he played much of his prime in a severely poorly performing Melbourne team.

Was renowned for his toughness and leadership, even going on to captain the Australian team against Ireland.

Unlucky not to make All Australian (did make the squad - but hardly any of these types of players make the team!) but was a club B&F winner.

FB: Enright - Weitering - Maxwell
HB: Sinclair - Talia - Goddard
C: Merrett - Mitchell- McCluggage
HF: Parker - Darling - B. Green
FF ? - Walker - ?
R: Gawn - Pendlebury - Thompson
B: ? - ? - ? - ?

RedmanWasHere you’re up
Great pick. Was debating him or Mills

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 21st Century draft game - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad