Draft Review 21st Century draft game - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

DAMN!

Astronaught falls due to sudden reacquaintance with gravity.

You weren't going to pick him were you? I assumed I'd finally selected someone that no one was about to pick, given where everyone's lists are at (which probably suggest I should have gone elsewhere first but was just keen to sort my structure finally).

Naughton's always annoyed me as a player.

His goalkicking action is a car crash scene where you can't help but look.

Lukosius is more fluid for mine.

Twinkletoes movement emanates from Luko.
Yeah that's fair enough, I have had similar reservations over players whose stats/output more than holds up but either didn't excite me that much or had flaws that annoyed me. Naughton has sort of polarised during his career, especially when his goal kicking accuracy goes haywire.

For my forward line, I wasn't sure if Pavlich-Naughton-Hogan looked clever or crazy. The latter two I could see getting in each other's way, but the Bulldogs are finding ways to make 3 genuine key forwards work. JUH's mobility helps.

You weren't going to pick him were you? I assumed I'd finally selected someone that no one was about to pick, given where everyone's lists are at (which probably suggest I should have gone elsewhere first but was just keen to sort my structure finally).

Nah never in my plans.

Just thought I'd try a pun.

Pick 249 - Windrunners - Scott Thompson (Adel)

All Australian
2xB&F winner
29th all time Brownlow Votes
Top 17 in all time in all of tackles, clearances, CPs providing plenty of grunt work.
Great overhead for a midfielder
Goal kicker
Massive biceps

Allows Merrett to rotate a bit more into the outside receiver role as well which would just be excessively delightful.

FB: Enright - Weitering - Maxwell
HB: Sinclair - Talia - Goddard
C: Merrett - Mitchell- McCluggage
HF: Parker - Darling - ?
FF ? - Walker - ?
R: Gawn - Pendlebury - Thompson
B: ? - ? - ? - ?

boncer34 you’re up

All Australian
2xB&F winner
Top 17 in all time in all of tackles, clearances, CPs providing plenty of grunt work.
Goal kicker
Massive biceps

Allows Merrett to rotate a bit more into the outside receiver role as well which would just be excessively delightful.

FF ? - Walker - ?

boncer34 you’re up
In the Matthew Boyd school of "underrated midfielder - top 10 coaches/Brownlow votes territory for x amount of years" players. I already had an Adelaide midfielder but I was wondering when Thompson would drop. I was sort of waiting for bench spots to fill out my midfield depth but it seems people are prioritising candidates fairly heavily through these rounds.

Naughton's always annoyed me as a player.

His goalkicking action is a car crash scene where you can't help but look.

Lukosius is more fluid for mine.

Twinkletoes movement emanates from Luko.

Haven't watched closely enough this season but has Naughton fixed his action?

Cos he is kicking at 68% in 2024 - which Lockett/Dunstall/Breust level accuracy.

With pick 247, Hawthorn selects.....Aaron Naughton.

After just missing the elite key forwards in the 3rd round, I've chosen to focus on other areas, content with Gunston at full forward. However, I'm happy to welcome a young key position player into the line up this late in the draft as good as Aaron. Still just 24, Aaron started very impressively at CHB, followed by 3 years averaging 47 goals as a forward. He is an elite contested mark and is one of the game's leading key forwards as far as assists go as well. Welcome to the Hawks, Aaron

Also, public shout out to Mr Meow for your team dynamic advice.

RedmanWasHere
That forward line is dynamic

All Australian
2xB&F winner
Goal kicker
Massive biceps

FF ? - Walker - ?

boncer34 you’re up
I think picking inside mids last is a strategy no one else tried and worked beautifully for you. Getting both Tom Mitchell and Scott Thompson right at the end of the draft is amazing.

I was going to move Boyd out to the half back flank and pick one of those two myself (in the same order you did) but I avoided as I figured I would be criticised for having the wrong balance in terms of lots of slower, accumulator types, not to mention I've already been picking the highly credentialed yet unfashionable midfielder already (Boyd, Gaff, Macrae, even Grant).

Glad they weren't left out altogther.

I also think this emphasises what I was saying about not adding the extra 5 years. We're still getting Brownlow medallists and multiple AA players in the 250's. I'm glad we didn't add the early 90's as well. Picking still isn't that hard and all the teams look super strong.

Might be a risk given his injuries but his talent overrides his injury history.

I can't go past JASON PORPLYZIA.

PhoenixBonez is next.
I was so keen on him but would have taken him late due to injury but he was an absolute gem in the forward line for Adelaide

In the Matthew Boyd school of "underrated midfielder - top 10 coaches/Brownlow votes territory for x amount of years" players. I already had an Adelaide midfielder but I was wondering when Thompson would drop. I was sort of waiting for bench spots to fill out my midfield depth but it seems people are prioritising candidates fairly heavily through these rounds.
He was one of my personal favorites too so couldn’t let him slide any further 😅
Too good not to be selected yet.

Yeah that's fair enough, I have had similar reservations over players whose stats/output more than holds up but either didn't excite me that much or had flaws that annoyed me. Naughton has sort of polarised during his career, especially when his goal kicking accuracy goes haywire.

For my forward line, I wasn't sure if Pavlich-Naughton-Hogan looked clever or crazy. The latter two I could see getting in each other's way, but the Bulldogs are finding ways to make 3 genuine key forwards work. JUH's mobility helps.
I think a true CHF that can run up the ground all day and another tall then some dynamic forwards.

Ultimate fwd line would look like
If you threw say a Jack Riewoldt in there, it would get too messy

(Any third man up 1.95) Riewoldt/Pavlich Shannon Grant
Betts - Franklin - Breust

That forward line is dynamic

Thanks mate!! - it came together in the end after my early worries about missing the Hall, Curnow, Lynch, Roughead, Gehrig, series of picks just before mine. May have worked out better in the end as I prioritised good small and medium forwards moreso than if I may have if I got one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so remember how i selected adam simpson, then a bunch of people noted 'he's long gone'?

yeah, i didn't mean to pick adam; i wanted kade simpson

that's the half-back / wing that i wanted to provide defensive coverage, forward run, great skill, leadership, a john nicholls medal, and a jim stynes medal

whoopsy!

kinda amazed he's still available given his 342 games, 138 goals as a rebounding half-back

B: ? - Steve May - Jake Lever
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Tarrant - Kade Simpson
C: ? - Sam Walsh - Peter Burgoyne
HF: ? - Cam Mooney - Kane Lamber
F: ? - Tom Lynch - Aaron Davey
Foll: Todd Goldstein - Jordan Lewis - Jack Viney
I/c: ? - ? - ? - ?

over to you, Guardian Hawk
I was going to pick him with my last pick/s but went mid/forward thinking one of Simpson or Haynes would still be there.

Nutz

Angus Brayshaw ArdentEagle

FB - Prestigiacomo Smith
HB - Lake Houli
C Cooney Priddis Kelly
HF Bell Lucas Robertson
F - Fevola Pickett
R Goodes Francou Brayshaw
Int - - - -
Sub -

Last edited:
Tyson Stengle ArdentEagle

FB - Prestigiacomo Smith
HB - Lake Houli
C Cooney Priddis Kelly
HF Stengle Lucas Robertson
F - Fevola Pickett
R Goodes Francou Bell
Int - - - -
Sub -
Taken

Tyson Stengle ArdentEagle

FB - Prestigiacomo Smith
HB - Lake Houli
C Cooney Priddis Kelly
HF Stengle Lucas Robertson
F - Fevola Pickett
R Goodes Francou Bell
Int - - - -
Sub -
Already taken by sphynx

WCE pick 251
Shai Bolton

Shai Bolton has emerged as one of the most dynamic half-forwards in the AFL, showcasing a combination of skill, agility, and football IQ that sets him apart from his peers. His agility and acceleration make him a constant threat in the forward line, allowing him to create scoring opportunities through his quick, elusive movements. Bolton's capacity to evade defenders and make decisive plays is complemented by his exceptional ball-handling skills, which enable him to navigate tight spaces and deliver precise passes.

In addition to his physical attributes, Bolton’s football intelligence is remarkable. He has a keen sense of positioning and timing, which allows him to capitalize on scoring chances and make smart decisions under pressure. His ability to read the play and anticipate where the ball will be is crucial in both offensive and defensive situations.

Bolton’s versatility is another key asset. He can seamlessly transition between roles, adapting his game to suit the needs of his team. Whether it's pressuring the opposition, setting up teammates, or finishing off opportunities himself, Bolton's all-around game makes him a valuable asset to any team’s forward structure.

Overall, Shai Bolton’s blend of agility, skill, and tactical awareness makes him an exceptional half-forward who can influence the game in multiple ways.

Human write up to follow.

Stoked to land him, exactly what my team needed for balance forward.

Would be a real handful with Zorko on the flanks for oppo teams

WCE pick 251
Shai Bolton

Shai Bolton has emerged as one of the most dynamic half-forwards in the AFL, showcasing a combination of skill, agility, and football IQ that sets him apart from his peers. His agility and acceleration make him a constant threat in the forward line, allowing him to create scoring opportunities through his quick, elusive movements. Bolton's capacity to evade defenders and make decisive plays is complemented by his exceptional ball-handling skills, which enable him to navigate tight spaces and deliver precise passes.

In addition to his physical attributes, Bolton’s football intelligence is remarkable. He has a keen sense of positioning and timing, which allows him to capitalize on scoring chances and make smart decisions under pressure. His ability to read the play and anticipate where the ball will be is crucial in both offensive and defensive situations.

Bolton’s versatility is another key asset. He can seamlessly transition between roles, adapting his game to suit the needs of his team. Whether it's pressuring the opposition, setting up teammates, or finishing off opportunities himself, Bolton's all-around game makes him a valuable asset to any team’s forward structure.

Overall, Shai Bolton’s blend of agility, skill, and tactical awareness makes him an exceptional half-forward who can influence the game in multiple ways.

Stoked to land him, exactly what my team needed for balance forward
Oops. Was hoping he will be available to pick up later to fill the bench

WCE pick 251
Shai Bolton

Stoked to land him, exactly what my team needed for balance forward.

Would be a real handful with Zorko on the flanks for oppo teams
Bolton is a great pick, even if he arguably should be delivering higher on his potential. Put him in a dynamic team and he'd be dominating the league.

I wanted to pair him with Wingard but accepted he would go well before my next pick.

Might be a risk given his injuries but his talent overrides his injury history.

I can't go past JASON PORPLYZIA.

PhoenixBonez is next.
por_please_ya likes this

All Australian
2xB&F winner
Goal kicker
Massive biceps

FF ? - Walker - ?

boncer34 you’re up
Underrated player. Had him on my radar for later.
Angus Brayshaw ArdentEagle

FB - Prestigiacomo Smith
HB - Lake Houli
C Cooney Priddis Kelly
HF Bell Lucas Robertson
F - Fevola Pickett
R Goodes Francou Brayshaw
Int - - - -
Sub -
Ooh. Didn't see that one coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 21st Century draft game - full 22 edition