Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps the morally outraged can provide a list of politically correct terms for sledging..... but then, bugger me if sledging won't get outlawed by the morally outraged because the sledgee's performance suffered because of the sledge and his feelings were hurt...
Piss ant works just fine , ticks all the boxes in terms of belittling someone to make them feel like a reprobate without being offensive to anyone else . I’d urge him to use that instead

Yep kids are getting less and less prepared for what life will throw them. The world is all about protecting people from what they are inevitably going to be exposed to. Little wonder they struggle to cop with things life throws at them.

Yep. No wonder mental health is an even bigger issue today.

I'd suggest that is because you have a child (ren) who are disabled and would rightfully be upset if they heard such a comment.
Just don't see the need to use that word.

It's a throw away word in the heat of a very adrenaline fueled environment. Take a chill pill. He wasn't targeting disabled people or any other group-it's Australian for f...wit or di..head.
And if he had called him a racist sledge would you say the same, because it is pretty much the same. I have no problem with the campaigner sledge, I am certainly not outraged by the disability sledge, just think that it is fairly indefensible these days and as Caddy himself said, should have handled it differently.

Yep kids are getting less and less prepared for what life will throw them. The world is all about protecting people from what they are inevitably going to be exposed to. Little wonder they struggle to cop with things life throws at them.
When I grew up kids made fun of mentally handicapped people, or locked them up in kew Cottages. My friends brother was down syndrome and he would make short work of anyone who said anything out of turn. I know it's just a word, but I've taught my kids not to use it, so neither should adults.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Words like ******* and ****** are no longer acceptable. Footy has to keep up with society. Caddy did the right thing apologising, just like Heath Shaw did last year when he called someone a ******.

In any case, I prefer sledging that is a bit more original and I think there is still plenty of scope to sledge someone without crossing the line. I was once called 'matchstick legs' in a game which hurt me deeply because I had been working out and thought my quads were coming along nicely, but I believe that is still an acceptable sledge. :oops:
Some pearlers in this article including one using ******ed, but it shows you can have a crack if you're clever without crossing the line.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...ting-insults-to-aspire-to-20131125-2y596.html

And if he had called him a racist sledge would you say the same, because it is pretty much the same. I have no problem with the campaigner sledge, I am certainly not outraged by the disability sledge, just think that it is fairly indefensible these days and as Caddy himself said, should have handled it differently.
Caddy had to say that. How many of these mea culpas do you need to hear or read before you see them for what they are? They are simply a public relations exercise forced upon sportsmen/women/entertainers by their management to defuse bad public opinion. I am sure the players shake their heads in bewilderment behind closed doors.

I can’t believe calling someone a s*****c is still a thing. That’s something an 8 year old would say at primary school pre-2000. It’s the lamest sledge you could possibly come up with surely. Added to that of course the sensibilities /offence caused by the term.

That said at least the apology was not a BS apology, but rather he took full responsibility for it and acknowledged his behaviour was a terrible look. :thumbsu:

Time to move on and look forward to our most punchable faced campaigner of a player’s next appearance Friday week!

Chiming in with the disability stuff.

The R and S words are the most hateful words for folk with or associated with folk with disabilities and it's akin to calling someone with a racial background the worst racial terms.

Personally, I hate those 2 words the most out of all disableist terms.

I have one myself and occasionally feel we are too soft but never with the R and C words.

In summary, R and C words should get the arse permanently but play on otherwise.

When I grew up kids made fun of mentally handicapped people, or locked them up in kew Cottages. My friends brother was down syndrome and he would make short work of anyone who said anything out of turn. I know it's just a word, but I've taught my kids not to use it, so neither should adults.
But there is a world of difference between an off the cuff word in the heat of a physical contest and deliberate ongoing bullying and taunting of someone in a school or work environment. Most people know it ,too. I have no doubt we would all be embarrassed if there was secret footage of us having private conversations/arguments at home or simply our reactions to a close game of footy. Context is everything.

I have a disability but I can laugh at funny comments about the disabled, including those targeting my own physical disability if it is spoken during a comedy routine. If the same thing was said to me on the street by an anonymous passer by, my emotional response would be very different.

Turn the mic’s off ffs. It’s annoying listening to players or umpires absolutely spent blurting out some bs that rarely offers any insights to the game

Record it if it might offer insights but air it later and make sure they don't release any of the offensive stuff. Like that 'sounds of the game' crap segment. It can't be hard to edit stuff out/not play the audio live.

I feel like every generation’s childhood sledges are becoming too offensive at an exponential rate. Like Grandpa’s when he was 50, Dad’s at 40, mine at 30, etc.

Makes you wonder what kind of comments will cause outrage in 10 years. You’d probably be ostracised for calling a single dude a tosser…

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back