Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

With due respect, you've pulled that out of your ass haven't you? :p

You can't see sexual orientation. Homophobic slurs are hidden by those standards.

The R word is hidden. You can't see how fast someone's mind works from the outside and not everyone has identifiable physical features associated with being slow to learn.

"You're a <insert homophobic slur>"

"Oh I didn't know you were homosexual, I couldn't see that. Now that you've informed me, I won't call you that again, but I'll continue to use the term as an insult towards others".

It's a slippery slope and your logic cannot exclude "soft****" from being offensive, as it's a legitimate medical problem and you're making all men everywhere who suffer from erectile dysfunction feel worse about themselves every time they hear that term used as a derogatory term. You can't escape this fact.

And once you're willing to accept that "soft****" is offensive to millions of men, then any adjective "soft" used to describe a footballer is also offensive if society has that word at the front of their mind. It's discriminating against millions of men with a medical condition and making them feel worse about their condition.

That's why it's stupid to go down the slippery slope of banning words.
Why the hell should homosexuality be a slur in the first place, just like disabilities. Long bow to draw the soft**** and the cerevbal palsy comparison (earlier). Even to the homeosexuality line, gay people have been drawn and quartered for centuries and still have to put up with shit just because they are gay. All us blokes will be softcocks eventually through age or availability, so hardly a comparable insult.

I have taught my kids things that I in no waty expect others to do. I think making such a comment is living in dream land .
Well why did you bother. Mutual respect is just that. If others don't care, that is their business, but society is always changing. ****ta bashing was a weekend pastimes in my days for some. Now is is considered unacceptable to all but the oafs. Our kids get it, and they are better off for it.

more inappropriate as opposed to just being inappropriate...?!?
Yes. That's generally how adverbs work. :D
giphy.gif

I think the line 'You have the football IQ of a potato' needs to be used more often.

That’s still insulting someone on the basis of their intelligence which is no different to putting a single word to that insult such as the R or S words.

It’s exactly the same derogatory communication, but in a longer sentences.

It means “you’re a worse person than me because you have a low IQ”, implying that being a low IQ person is a bad thing.

The individual words don’t matter and it’s obviously a slippery slope, hence we all need to accept that insults are OK in context!

Why the hell should homosexuality be a slur in the first place, just like disabilities. Long bow to draw the soft**** and the cerevbal palsy comparison (earlier). Even to the homeosexuality line, gay people have been drawn and quartered for centuries and still have to put up with shit just because they are gay. All us blokes will be softcocks eventually through age or availability, so hardly a comparable insult.

A slippery slope doesn’t mean all insults are of the same severity. Slippery slope. It’s a gradient.

There’s no line between what is and isn’t okay as an insult and that’s the point. soft**** is further down the gradient but it’s exactly the same logic.

A slippery slope doesn’t mean all insults are of the same severity. Slippery slope. It’s a gradient.

There’s no line between what is and isn’t okay as an insult and that’s the point. soft**** is further down the gradient but it’s exactly the same logic.
Yes things have gotten more politically correct, however the C and F words are more prevalent now, so there is the opposite gradient. Society has tightened on what is considered derogatory to certain categories (race, disability etc) and more lax on language. He should have called them both c'ts.

Yes things have gotten more politically correct, however the C and F words are more prevalent now, so there is the opposite gradient. Society has tightened on what is considered derogatory to certain categories (race, disability etc) and more lax on language. He should have called them both c'ts.

Yeah that’s true, the more some words are banned the more other words take their place.

Caddy also called him a “dumb C”, which is technically offensive to both low IQ people and females anyway, it’s just society hasn’t chosen to be triggered by those words....... yet.

Therein lies the insult conundrum.

How do you put someone down without putting others down too?

Unless 1 person is the only person in the whole word who can relate to a particular trait, there will always be others who can relate to the term used.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s true, the more some words are banned the more other words take their place.

Caddy also called him a “dumb C”, which is technically offensive to both low IQ people and females anyway, it’s just society hasn’t chosen to be triggered by those words....... yet.

Unless 1 person is the only person in the whole word who can relate to a particular trait, there will always be others who can relate to the term used.
Sure, the C word is offensive to women, or used to be, but so many women use it now, (my mother probably wouldn't). it is a swear word, these always offend but in that respect society has gotten more accepting, less so with words with correlate to specific people/minorities etc... although the C word has a bit of that.

By being clever...with Intelligence...wit and humour!

Isn't it funny that the people who dislike swear words, who seek to stop people using them give the words their power? It's a bit like a greek tragedy. So desperate to stop something that you're the one that caused it!! ouuffff

I still say s and r occasionally, but I feel like a complete dick when I do

I grew up with a family friend with CP, have family who lost much of their cognitive abilities due to stroke or dementia. had others with a range of physical disabilities as well

most of them were much better people than I have ever been, and I'd probably punch anyone who called them a r or a s because it is offensive and insulting to all the shit that they have to endure on a daily basis

we can do better

I still say s and r occasionally, but I feel like a complete dick when I do

I grew up with a family friend with CP, have family who lost much of their cognitive abilities due to stroke or dementia. had others with a range of physical disabilities as well

most of them were much better people than I have ever been, and I'd probably punch anyone who called them a r or a s because it is offensive and insulting to all the shit that they have to endure on a daily basis

we can do better

Great post mate. There's a big difference between "called them a r or a s" and the mere use of the swear words at other times though.

Not to derail your nice post but I think people get carried away with words traditional meaning and then the outrage culture follows. Words evolve all the time, that's why English is so completely bizarre as one example. The word "gay" used to mean happy, then it meant "homosexual"...now it can mean homosexual in some context, and it can be a relatively light insult amongst mates. The list of words like this are endless...pig, dog, shit, campaigner etc. If people are desperate to be offended at those words, which they surely will, then that's ok. They have the right to be.

If people are going to pretend that Caddy as an example wanted to be offensive to anyone other than Howe then that's just ridiculous. And the origin of the word is also irrelevant because we all know what he was trying to say was, "You were not smart in that moment...you silly campaigner, your football ability is in question".

Swearing in front of people and using the S and R words in front of disabled people would be extremely bad manners and bad taste...but wow are we all getting a bit silly about these things. We should not, no we cannot ignore context and meaning of words in their present state or the entire language cannot function. Yes, we can all be nicer people and be more polite.

Great post mate. There's a big difference between "called them a r or a s" and the mere use of the swear words at other times though.

Not to derail your nice post but I think people get carried away with words traditional meaning and then the outrage culture follows. Words evolve all the time, that's why English is so completely bizarre as one example. The word "gay" used to mean happy, then it meant "homosexual"...now it can mean homosexual in some context, and it can be a relatively light insult amongst mates. The list of words like this are endless...pig, dog, shit, campaigner etc. If people are desperate to be offended at those words, which they surely will, then that's ok. They have the right to be.

If people are going to pretend that Caddy as an example wanted to be offensive to anyone other than Howe then that's just ridiculous. And the origin of the word is also irrelevant because we all know what he was trying to say was, "You were not smart in that moment...you silly campaigner, your football ability is in question".

Swearing in front of people and using the S and R words in front of disabled people would be extremely bad manners and bad taste...but wow are we all getting a bit silly about these things. We should not, no we cannot ignore context and meaning of words in their present state or the entire language cannot function. Yes, we can all be nicer people and be more polite.

s still has the same meaning it always did

when trump mocked the journo, he did the same face and arm movements kids were doing when referring to "s's" 40 years ago, nothing has changed

on it being cool to say it to other people than those with a disability, i disagree as well.

when we had the whole argument over the "homo" chant by the grog squad, my opposition to it was on one simple ground. We 100% have gay richmond fans and gay richmond players. using the word homo as an insult to opposition is spitting in the face of our own fans and players. Calling opposition players s or r is also insulting to passionate richmond fans, who frankly dont need to hear that from one of their own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he played a great game.

It’s not the hanging offence it’s been made out to be. I’m sure he would have been pulled aside internally even if it handnt been made public given how close to the edge he was playing.

Loving his contested marking at the moment. Had a great year.

Is society really better today than when I grew up?
Of course it is! That's all due to role models that take the time/effort to educate/communicate!
No society is not better today than it was years ago. Social media and helicopters parenting has allowed the late Gen Y's and millennial grow up emotionally stunted and with more self image problems than any generation before.

I honestly believe in 20 odd years we will look at social media as one of the biggest mistakes.

Good on you for your ability to live with whatever disability you have, my partner likewise, and we can have some fun with it as adults using humour... but a 8 year old sitting by the fence or at home listening on the TV might not have such a grasp of context.
In some ways it is a rather trivial, I'm sure most people can relate to it being a off the cuff remark and put it in context, but better off it not happening at all. Hence the apology and get on with things. But it should be called out when it happens, as you say context is everything.
The arguement "what if a kid heard that" should be examined and actually ripped apart. It has caused the other bullshit argument used against gay marriage "how would you explain to your child a couple with 2 men/women?". The simple answer is "be a ****ing parent".

In this instance it is the parents job to explain to the child the context around the comments if they wish to. That is literally the parents job. Help their kid interpret the situation and gain context from it

It’s not the hanging offence it’s been made out to be. I’m sure he would have been pulled aside internally even if it handnt been made public given how close to the edge he was playing.

I don't think anybody has called it for more than it is, a slip of the tongue. On this thread anyway. Haven't followed it on the outside world, no interest in hyperbolic beatups.. if that is what has been happening.

Thing I noticed the last few weeks regarding his marking. Took those big pack marks 3 games back and spent the next week trying to repeat it. Hawks game he was leading and moving around much more and played a great game because of it. Reckon he might of copped a bit of feedback about trying to do the JackR to often.

The arguement "what if a kid heard that" should be examined and actually ripped apart. It has caused the other bullshit argument used against gay marriage "how would you explain to your child a couple with 2 men/women?". The simple answer is "be a ******* parent".

In this instance it is the parents job to explain to the child the context around the comments if they wish to. That is literally the parents job. Help their kid interpret the situation and gain context from it
Of course they do. When I was about six I came home from school and made some comment about wogs to my mother who hauled me over the coals. I have never forgotten that, about 50 years ago. So yes it is the parents job to parent. But better if I never used derogatory words in the first place. Calling someone a s...tic was stuff we did as kids and I'd have hoped that it would have died out by now, obviously it hasn't. There are so many more apt words to use, although 'you clumbsy bunt' doesn't roll of the tongue as easy.

I don't think anybody has called it for more than it is, a slip of the tongue. On this thread anyway. Haven't followed it on the outside world, no interest in hyperbolic beatups.. if that is what has been happening.

That is whats been happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Back