Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

You are under selling McKay’s potential. He was one of the best intercept markers in the game last year and that’s in a side that had no defensive system. He is only going to improve with the likes of Logue around him and with a more accountable midfield.

It’s never ideal to lose a key position player that’s only just coming into his prime, especially when we’ve put a s**t tonne of resources into developing him.

I’m the biggest fan of the draft, but as our drafting history has shown even a top 10 pick isn’t guarantee, plus for KP’s you have to pump 3/4 years of development into them before they even get close to matching McKay’s output.

If we are chasing mature talent we aren’t exactly the most appealing club to go to at the moment.

Even if we have to pay overs I’d much prefer to keep him.
Potential? I had potential too… now I am a rigger, talking shit on here and getting smashed.. potential isn’t worth shit. Mason Wood potentially is the greatest CHF to play the game… potential means nothing.

By no means do I say the draft is the answer if we lose buckets, the answer is to pull a defender from another club.

We already pulled a top 5 bnf player and defender from Fremantle. Clarko is a coach people want to play for. Don’t worry about Ben, if he wants to drink his own bathwater, good on him and good luck to the campaigner

People posting ITK and rumour file hearsay on Ben McKay's engagement with Clarko's program should perhaps check the use-by date on their information.

Potential? I had potential too… now I am a rigger, talking s**t on here and getting smashed.. potential isn’t worth s**t. Mason Wood potentially is the greatest CHF to play the game… potential means nothing.
As the great Ronald Dale Barassi famously stated:
“you didn’t earn your potential, it came from the eye of your old man’s c@ck, it’s what you do with it that counts”….or words to that affect!
His battle seems to be spending enough time on the ground to achieve it.

People posting ITK and rumour file hearsay on Ben McKay's engagement with Clarko's program should perhaps check the use-by date on their information.
The way I see it, is ben thinks he’s worth huge money, his management are putting a line in the water. Perhaps he is exploring other options.. it kind of reeks a little Ben Brown contract stuff. Meh. Couldn’t care less if he stays or goes. Club is always bigger than the individual

My favourite part of any rumour on here is when gokaren wanders in and pretends to have known about it for ages.
Not at all - as I said the rumours about Ben looking around were widely talked about last year. No scoop there. Plenty of players were unhappy with Noble and Ben was always touted as being somewhat unsettled. Doesn't make the rumours fact but they have been around.

My second favourite part is when gokaren doubles down with the "don't shoot the messenger" routine. Like clockwork.
Again - not delivering any message. But the rumours have been around - still don't know if true. This your third fave part?

Reliably informed that it is well known that McKay will leave at the end of the season. Fell out of favour with the club under Noble in 2022 and apparently no signs that anything has changed + put off all talks until mid season. Personally was surprised to hear this given is in leadership group, however it does make sense and this is a reliable source. First 4-6 weeks May be a good way of seeing what life without McKay is like.
1678706709432.gif

Massive loss but not the end of the world - can play one of Corr/Dawson. Just need the whole back six to play as a team and outnumber at contests. Hopefully Ziebell/Bonar don't get assigned the second key back role like we saw at stages last year 😬
Round 1 last year Mckay got injured early on against Hawthorn and we had Ziebell playing on Mitch Lewis 😫😫😫

Even Corr was undersized. Bonar as well is nowhere near a like for like replacement. Dawson is the best we have.

Reliably informed that it is well known that McKay will leave at the end of the season. Fell out of favour with the club under Noble in 2022 and apparently no signs that anything has changed + put off all talks until mid season. Personally was surprised to hear this given is in leadership group, however it does make sense and this is a reliable source. First 4-6 weeks May be a good way of seeing what life without McKay is like.

What a load of rubbish. From a Brisbane Lions supporter? Name names then if it is a "reliable source".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a North Member for 16 years mate. From someone within the club who has direct contact with McKay on a weekly basis !

Sounds a little suss, most players aren't so candid with their dislike of people or a place in the footy world I mean.
I know someone who is involved at North and he couldn't get anything out of Zurhaar as to whether he was staying or not.

It was a really shitty place to be, so I understand why someone would play the wait-and-see card. Also if your mind was made up why would you join the leadership group? Makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm either or fwiw, if he stays great, if he goes we get some decent compensation. It will be band 1.

Time will tell as we like to say.

Not really getting why Logue and Corr plus an athletic Bonar and 191cm with a leap Goater can’t cover the backs

And if Comben can get on the park, but not the scoreboard, well KPD option and play Ford forward

Sounds a little suss, most players aren't so candid with their dislike of people or a place in the footy world I mean.
I know someone who is involved at North and he couldn't get anything out of Zurhaar as to whether he was staying or not.
Some players obviously talk more than others. Wasn't there somebody putting up daily reports about Ben brown being 100% committed to North a few years back based on the word of close connections?

It was a really shitty place to be, so I understand why someone would play the wait-and-see card. Also if your mind was made up why would you join the leadership group? Makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm either or fwiw, if he stays great, if he goes we get some decent compensation. It will be band 1.

Time will tell as we like to say.
Tbf he didn't join the leadership group, he was shoved into it by his peers

Just going by his demeanour, not signing an extension, on field performance etc all points to a player that wants out.

Clearly speculation, so of course it would be easy to make up a rumour that’s closer to truth

Just going by his demeanour, not signing an extension, on field performance etc all points to a player that wants out.

Clearly speculation, so of course it would be easy to make up a rumour that’s closer to truth
There’s another plausible explanation, McKay and his management roll the dice to have a big year to up his contract, and he comes down with hot spots on his foot.
Placing the strategy in limbo.

Who knows how long he has known about it, could’ve been diagnosed with a wait and see approach around Xmas time.
Explains the demeanour and performance

Last edited:
Reality is he's a dour defender that's improved his intercept marking, but provides little going the other way. He's not a top of the market KPD and shouldn't be expected to be paid like one. If he goes, we'll likely get great compensation and will end up filling the gap. If he's on board, great. If not, we'll be OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back