Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread has turned into The Usual Suspects, there are all these vague clues that will make perfect sense in hindsight when I get to the end and realise that Ben McKay was Keyser Soze all along.
You know, I had my suspicions it was Hojuman

I might be wrong but historically these things get announced when the window opens for free agency.

Edit: based on him leaving of course.

I skipped through it in 30 second jumps lol.
15 mins - Gave Sheez a pump up winning the Syd and said the B&F was a good night
29 mins - Big announcement is they have merchandise lol
42 mins - Ben talking about player agent courses Rama etc. and how it works in response to someone's question.

Hawthorn made a strong pitch to North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay at their Waverley Park headquarters on Saturday as the key back closes in on a decision on his future.
Essendon are seen as the favourites for McKay but all three suitors — the Dons, Hawthorn and Sydney — have put in financial offers which would secure first-round compensation for North Melbourne.

The Roos will secure picks two and three, with clubs now believing they could secure a mid-first round pick from the AFL at pick 11 — after the non-finalists — to help preserve the draft order which will be impacted by academy and free agency picks.

They could then decide to bid on Tasmanian mid Ryley Sanders without the league having to break its own rules to link him to the Roos.

Essendon is reported to have offered McKay a pitch which was a long as six years, with McKay having done medicals at all three clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn made a strong pitch to North Melbourne free agent Ben McKay at their Waverley Park headquarters on Saturday as the key back closes in on a decision on his future.
Essendon are seen as the favourites for McKay but all three suitors — the Dons, Hawthorn and Sydney — have put in financial offers which would secure first-round compensation for North Melbourne.

The Roos will secure picks two and three, with clubs now believing they could secure a mid-first round pick from the AFL at pick 11 — after the non-finalists — to help preserve the draft order which will be impacted by academy and free agency picks.

They could then decide to bid on Tasmanian mid Ryley Sanders without the league having to break its own rules to link him to the Roos.

Essendon is reported to have offered McKay a pitch which was a long as six years, with McKay having done medicals at all three clubs.

What? If we have pick 11 and use it to bid on Sanders isn’t that effectively breaking the rules as Victorian clubs cannot bid if someone is taken in the top 40. May as well just give us Sanders lol

What? If we have pick 11 and use it to bid on Sanders isn’t that effectively breaking the rules as Victorian clubs cannot bid if someone is taken in the top 40. May as well just give us Sanders lol
I think they are saying Sanders will go in the open draft and therefore he will be gone by Pick 11.

I can already smell a back room deal where the AFL have agreed to Pick 11 on the basis that it goes to West Coast with Pick 2 for Pick 1.

Wraps it in a nice neat bow.

West Coast get the local talent and another decent first rounder and Reid gets to stay in VIC.

Would have like the opportunity to match a bid on Sanders, but we are essentially being given access to Reid as assistance if that’s their plan?

Sounds to me like enough clubs have cracked the shits at the thought of us having exclusive access to Sanders.

I think they are saying Sanders will go in the open draft and therefore he will be gone by Pick 11.

I can already smell a back room deal where the AFL have agreed to Pick 11 on the basis that it goes to West Coast with Pick 2 for Pick 1.

West Coast get the local talent and another decent first rounder and Reid gets to stay in VIC.

Would have like the opportunity to match a bid on Sanders, but we are essentially being given access to Reid as assistance if that’s their plan?

Sounds to me like enough clubs have cracked the shits at the thought of us having exclusive access to Sanders.
Why do we want Reid again?

Ralph on Fox Footy just said he believes McKay has been offered a 7 year deal by one of the three clubs. If that's true, player contracts are out of control.

Then we should take Sanders at pick 3.

Does anyone know if he just wants out of NM or is it just a case of getting the highest offer?
I honestly don’t think anyone knows anything.
I’m almost certain Harry is the one going to the other clubs pretending to be Ben. It’s all just a jape and Ben signs on with us

Then we should take Sanders at pick 3.
If he is worth Pick 3 then I’m sure the club will go down that path.

He might not be that high on our draft board? We might have someone like McKercher in front of him.

We might be able to split 3 with GWS for 6 and 15-18 if we think Sanders will last that long and we really want him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back