Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness, I think Brad tried to give him a good go. However, once Tarrant and Scotty T were available, it became difficult. In a weird way, Ben’s experience in early 2019, probably, set him up for his second crack this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Brad stuff is getting overstated but I think the lack of exposure for Durdin and McKay can be put on his shoulders.

He played a pure best 22 most weeks and left us none the wiser to these guy's prospects because of selecting so conservatively.

The Brad stuff is getting overstated but I think the lack of exposure for Durdin and McKay can be put on his shoulders.

He played a pure best 22 most weeks and left us none the wiser to these guy's prospects because of selecting so conservatively.

True. “Unfortunately”, Taz and Thommo were always very hard to leave out. Durdin got more opportunities than McKay, though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I stated that about two weeks ago, but supercoachers are gunna supercoach on regardless.

I'm very concerned that Melbourne will seek to package up Polec with Ben - its been hinted in the media but they probably think they can get deal of the century for zilch - I want this period done with Anderson signed, Polec and Taz still here and good ins for Higgo and Ben ASAP

I'm very concerned that Melbourne will seek to package up Polec with Ben - its been hinted in the media but they probably think they can get deal of the century for zilch - I want this period done with Anderson signed, Polec and Taz still here and good ins for Higgo and Ben ASAP

I would stop doing that for starters.

lol, True - I wish you drank at the bar as me, i'd be much more relaxed.

JUst start tallying how many AFL media "rumors" or "comments" amount to nought and then apply common sense.

JUst start tallying how many AFL media "rumors" or "comments" amount to nought and then apply common sense.

The difference with this one is I really feel that if I was them, I would do it for sure. A pretty good young team that can add two quality humans that add what they need for 3-5 years= no brainer to me.

Which is why its a no brainer that we should keep them:) Higgo I can kinda cop, almost but not these two. Proffessional clubman that can play high quality football for 4+ years

If we get great picks for them , sure...............but still.................

The difference with this one is I really feel that if I was them, I would do it for sure. A pretty good young team that can add two quality humans that add what they need for 3-5 years= no brainer to me.

Which is why its a no brainer that we should keep them:) Higgo I can kinda cop, almost but not these two. Proffessional clubman that can play high quality football for 4+ years

If we get great picks for them , sure...............but still.................

Polec & Tarrant aren't on the market, so Melbourne may as well have daydreams about Leigh Matthews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has packed on 2-3kg's in the off season. Is a genuine monster now.
was it last off season that there were pics floating round of similar muscle gain? not a criticism, just reminded me of that

Showed good composure and spoiling ability in later games after getting towelled up by Weideman earlier in the season.

Essential that BMac continues to improve in 2021 as both a key lock down tall defender but that he also gains confidence to take the game on and use the ball more effectively.

Our defensive 6 as a group needs to have a more positive mindset and as a group must get better at ball use - BMac is a key component of that.

Looking forward to seeing BMac take real control of a key defensive position.

Chuck him on the Number 1 forward.

Taz marshalling the rest of the troops and brickwalling anything coming in too high.

Corr to take the 3rd tall and float off/intercept and then rebound.

LMac to take a genuine small and continue with his aerial interference then distribute on the way back out.

Atley lock down the most dangerous small forward and get the ball in some space on the counter.

Perez/Kyron/Young fighting it out for the 2 remaining defensive posts.

J Walker if one of the talls goes down is straight in the team

That's a super balanced defence in terms of players/structures that they can cover. Good mix of lock down to rebound and experience to youthful exuberance.

Now if the midfield makes it semi contested on oppo I50's it should be pretty stingy.

Chuck him on the Number 1 forward.

Taz marshalling the rest of the troops and brickwalling anything coming in too high.

Corr to take the 3rd tall and float off/intercept and then rebound.

LMac to take a genuine small and continue with his aerial interference then distribute on the way back out.

Atley lock down the most dangerous small forward and get the ball in some space on the counter.

Perez/Kyron/Young fighting it out for the 2 remaining defensive posts.

J Walker if one of the talls goes down is straight in the team

That's a super balanced defence in terms of players/structures that they can cover. Good mix of lock down to rebound and experience to youthful exuberance.

Now if the midfield makes it semi contested on oppo I50's it should be pretty stingy.

Great post.

Only thing I'll say is have a feeling Walker will already be in the team.

However he was delisted under Nobles watch with Fagan so maybe he doesn't rate him, not sure.

Here's some statistics for you people

Ben McKay this year had a defensive contested loss rate of 25.5%

However, this number is deflated by one poor game against Fremantle where he had 6 defensive contested one on ones and lost 4 of them.

If you were to take this number out of the equation, then his defensive contested loss rate is 14.7%

Comparing that to all of the AA40 and AA best 22 key defenders, that 14.7% is better than all of those AA players, every single one

Here's some statistics for you people

Ben McKay this year had a defensive contested loss rate of 25.5%

However, this number is deflated by one poor game against Fremantle where he had 6 defensive contested one on ones and lost 4 of them.

If you were to take this number out of the equation, then his defensive contested loss rate is 14.7%

Comparing that to all of the AA40 and AA best 22 key defenders, that 14.7% is better than all of those AA players, every single one
Yet some nuffies on here want to stick him in the forward line because he played it at under 18s level.
He's a defender plain and simple and will continue to get better in the position with experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back