Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he's our most valuable. But 7 years is hell of a long time. What happens if he gets injured ? What happens if we lose other players because we have too much salary cap tied up in long contracts

4 years is long enough to commit to our rebuild, plus we could re-sign him before the 4 years is up.

No player is irreplaceable either

I think it’s unders, let’s just say that.

The length of the deal is his security, but the reality is we can’t afford to lose him.

Give him another key back (trade or FA), Corr as third tall, and our backine will improve dramatically both in quality and structure.

I'm a huge fan of McKay as he wins his contest per game more often than not. His lack of rebound is irrelevant, that's not his role.

Apply that win contest outcome across all our players and we will be winning many more games that we are currently.

Geez if left was right , I went right and got it so wrong with Ben.

What a player and was really an early second rd pick 21 from memory.

A super talent and hopefully we can find the CHB to compliment him. An astute drafting choice. I still don’t mind the fortnight at FF would have done him no long term damage. Actually still could see him being a dangerous fwd in a side that actually gets the ball on their terms .

But rapt with him at FB as well .

We crushed that trade period. We traded IIRC an early pick to the Hawks for Jed and got back the pick to draft Ben.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay will be a RFA when his current contract expires in 2023. If we are lowballing him and he goes into next year unsigned he is going to get some seriously massive offers thrown at him. Rawlings needs to sort this s**t out quick smart.
Surely we just match whatever offer. We must have plenty of cap space. Not that I understand this RFA business? i mean, he still made the decision to leave us but he has to sign with us because we match the offer????? Or will he then just ask for a trade?

i said it earlier but whispers i heard was collingwood is pretty much signed and sealed.

Obviously getting Clarko has a pretty big impact on that - must sign by mid year imo

Surely we just match whatever offer. We must have plenty of cap space. Not that I understand this RFA business? i mean, he still made the decision to leave us but he has to sign with us because we match the offer????? Or will he then just ask for a trade?
If he refuses to sign and another club come in with a $800k per year over 4 year deal, which we then match, he is under no obligation to sign with us. A trade will need to be arranged however given he will be a RFA.

These are the rules.

An offer to a Restricted Free Agent may be matched by their Club. Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade. Compensation in the form of AFL allocated draft picks will apply to clubs with a net loss of Free Agents, based on the formula determined by the AFL.

These are the rules.

An offer to a Restricted Free Agent may be matched by their Club. Should their original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with their original Club, they must enter the National Draft or seek a trade. Compensation in the form of AFL allocated draft picks will apply to clubs with a net loss of Free Agents, based on the formula determined by the AFL.
So we'll be looking at a late second?

Carlton would be getting a Top 10 for Ben though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back