AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

FMD, so Jonesy carries the can for a set shot miss but Langford, Durham, Stringer, even Wrighty all had similar chances and missed. Geebus, Snelling can’t even make the distance from 30m out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will be a good experience for him.
No one will be beating him up more than himself.
Still love the player.

The loss was better for us in the long-term as there are big lessons to take from it. If we win that after coming back from that margin those things are lost.

Defensive transition.
Playing a kid as he sub for multiple weeks straight and then wondering why his game awareness is poor.
Goal kicking/taking your chances.
Turning off the TV after a quarter (raises hand)

All good lessons going forward.

Your claim was - if he doesn’t miss, the rest doesn’t happen. Sounded like you were inferring the rest was Jones’ issue. I mean I’m not denying he missed the shot lol.
There are always multiple things at various stages.
My claim is right. The first issue is not kicking a goal from straight in front. Take away the first issue and the second does not happen.
At the end of the day footy is about maximising your chances which is kicking the goals as well as the defensive aspects.

FMD, so Jonesy carries the can for a set shot miss but Langford, Durham, Stringer, even Wrighty all had similar chances and missed. Geebus, Snelling can’t even make the distance from 30m out!

Who is saying it is all his fault?
Pretty simple fact. He kicks it we win. With the time left that is the fact.

I definitely don’t think Jones should be the focus of the loss. Yeah he stuffed up the kick but there are plenty of things that contributed to the result ahead of him.

wouldn't say he is carrying the can. A lot of shit went wrong in the last 10 minutes.

But a key forward missing a set shot directly in front from 40m is poor at any time, let alone to win a game. HJ did nothing all game. That was his moment to step up.

He needs to do better, that's not to say many others also do as well.

The defensive transition of the final play will be damning in review.

Our set shot goal kicking in general is a real area for improvement. Durham, McGrath, Jones, Snelling all look uncomfortable.

Essendon has one of the worst Goal/Point ratio's in the AFL - dont know the direct comparison to set shots but we are woeful at taking opportunities generally.

1658703780072.png

Complete non-issue. Players miss set shots, it happens. To be honest I wasn't overly confident to begin with, he looked cooked when running after Howe. No biggie and he'll be better for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heppell misses a target. Burn him at the stake.
Jones missed a goal with 40 seconds left and we lose . No biggie.
Okay.

I mean maybe your logic would apply if I was spewing hate towards Hep - but I'm not, at all.

My point mainly being that it's still raw and these things happen, deep breath etc.

Or would you prefer we crucify the young lad instead?

The transition after the miss is what killed us in the end.

Jones will get better with time. He's a good kick, just needs to be a little more confident.
Still doesn’t change the fact that with under a minute to go kicking the goal wins the game despite the **** up that came after it.

Yeah, there's nothing like failure to help clear a mind full of screaming doubts. He'll bounce back bigger and better we always do.

You don't think there isn't countless examples of players who have had shockers while young which have gone on to be valuable lessons going forward? Or built some resilience in them at the least?

I mean maybe your logic would apply if I was spewing hate towards Hep - but I'm not, at all.

My point mainly being that it's still raw and these things happen, deep breath etc.

Or would you prefer we crucify the young lad instead?
I am not crucifying anyone.
I am not venting.
Just stating a fact.
Goals win games.
It is no different to when I comment on defensive structure failures or players failing to defend.
I do not do favourites. Do something good then get a tick and Harry did some good stuff but he gets a minus for missing a Brad and butter goal .

I am not crucifying anyone.
I am not venting.
Just stating a fact.
Goals win games.
It is no different to when I comment on defensive structure failures or players failing to defend.
I do not do favourites. Do something good then get a tick and Harry did some good stuff but he gets a minus for missing a Brad and butter goal .

Okay. Just seems like you are inferring that the blame lies on Jones, otherwise not sure what the point of that statement is? Of course ideally he slots it, but I'm definitely directing my frustration much more at the transition as opposed to the actual behind.

If your logic is 'if harry kicks the goal we win' then you should be saying the same about the other dozen or so chances that players had to kick the goal and didnt.

Really he couldve not had a shot at goal and we also win, which was probably a play and never considered

Stringer’s miss was worse. The kick out is a stuff up that’s worse regardless that’s it after the miss. Heppell’s pass was a shocker so were a few other kicks but yeah let’s blame the kid with the chase down missing a shot that other vets miss

You don't think there isn't countless examples of players who have had shockers while young which have gone on to be valuable lessons going forward? Or built some resilience in them at the least?
Lindsay Thomas eventually got through his yips IIRC. May have even kicked a game winner late in his career? Not sure. He only ever had the pressure of playing in games involving North Melbourne.

Lewis Jetta went on to be a two time premiership player, not certain how much he contributed on the big day.

Neon Leon's move to defence seemed to work for the big game jitters, until 12 months later.

Salt water welled in Nick Riewoldt's eyes after the siren against us, though he was a well established player by then, and then he was famously smothered in 2010.

Rhys Shaw dropping the ball.

Help me out a little?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back