AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

I definitely see something worth persevering with for a year or 2 more than you would for most developing forwards. But yeah, time will be against him if he doesnt show significant gains next season. I’d much rather see him hitting up those leads as far as the wings rather than seeing 2Metre constantly having to move that far up the ground to fill the void. Wright needs to ply his trade within kicking distance of goal which for him is up to 60m out. Not sure what our alternative option is at this stage. The Weid experiment might already be shelved. Baldwin is still in limbo. Voss is apparently slow and one-dimensional. Cox or Reid could be groomed but they are still in limbo-land too. Maybe Draper if Bryan continues to show improvement but you don’t want to have him running up and back all day.

Injuries to developing talls really do knock the stuffing out of a rebuild it has to be said.

Last edited:
I definitely see something worth persevering with for a year 2 more than you would for most developing forwards. But yeah, time will be against if he doesnt show significant gains next season. I’d much rather see him hitting up those leads as far as the wings rather than seeing 2Metre constantly having to move that far up the ground to fill the void. Wright needs to ply his trade within kicking distance of goal which for him is up to 60m out. Not sure what our alternative option is at this stage. The Weid experiment might already be shelved. Baldwin is still in limbo. Voss is apparently slow and one-dimensional. Cox or Reid could be groomed but they are still in limbo-land too. Maybe Draper if Bryan continues to show improvement but you don’t want to have him running up and back all day.

Injuries to developing talls really do knock the stuffing out of a rebuild it has to be said.
Spot on, if our young talls were healthy we would look so much better at the moment there’s a chance only maybe one or two of those talls make it and we are stuck in the cycle again

Some of you are being a bit harsh. Its only his 3rd year as a developing tall and he started off really well.

Nick Bryan was drafted the same year and is now only just starting to show the he can be AFL quality.

Yes and he hasn't had more than 2 in a game since then.

It shows its the outlier not the norm.
Because he hasn’t been fit. Hasn’t done a preseason in the last 2 years. Being able to do it twice in a year and then never being properly fit again does not mean it’s an outlier. If you’ve got the ability to take 5 contested marks at afl level, it’s a weapon not many players have.

Some of you are being a bit harsh. Its only his 3rd year as a developing tall and he started off really well.

Nick Bryan was drafted the same year and is now only just starting to show the he can be AFL quality.
Wouldn't necessarily question the talent or ethic. Kid can play and i really like his work rate
Id give another 2 years but he really needs some luck on the injury front

Yes and he hasn't had more than 2 in a game since then.

It shows its the outlier not the norm.
Weird take.

5 CMs is a proper haul.. you can't do it without the ability to do it. It would be much easier to kick five goals as a nupty because you can get a bit lucky. I don't reckon there are too many lucky contested marks in the AFL.

Sure Jones might not make it, but it's massively reasonable to assume that a developing tall will perform more consistently as he matures.

Weird take.

5 CMs is a proper haul.. you can't do it without the ability to do it. It would be much easier to kick five goals as a nupty because you can get a bit lucky. I don't reckon there are too many lucky contested marks in the AFL.

Sure Jones might not make it, but it's massively reasonable to assume that a developing tall will perform more consistently as he matures.
Its a weird take to say just coz he did it a couple of times doesn't mean he'll do it consistently?

I never said he won't make it, I hope he does. If he does I don't think it's as a contested marking forward, I think its more likely he'll get on his bike and burn blokes on the lead.

Disagree anyone's being harsh.

So far the only "negatives" are me saying you can't use 2 games in his career as evidence, someone else saying he needs to put size because hes unless in a contested scenario against blokes 10kg heavier (guess that might be harsh even though it's true) and someone else saying he looked scared in front of goals this year which I think considering his yips and reluctance to take a ping it's perfectly reasonable to suggest he needs confidence.

It would be much easier to kick five goals as a nupty because you can get a bit lucky
Futurama Squinting GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effectively been on pause for 2 years after looking like he could be anything. I have serious doubts his body can hold up to the rigours given all these stress related ailments, which aren’t good signs.

I’ve heard he’s a bit of a lad & focus can be questionable off field. Give him a year with a trigger for a 2nd if he hits performance based KPI’s & we’ll see what he’s made of.

He's massively important for spacing. Leads a hell of a lot smarter than anyone else we have tried to pair Wright with.

This is a really interesting point.

Because the fact is he does get on his bike and move around...genuinely close to more than any other key forward in the competition with the kms he racks up.
However, the knock on him has often been that he simply isn't involved in the game enough for a guy that cover that much ground. Like he's almost just running around as an endurance runner, but not running to the right spots to be a target and get involved.

Now, has Wright benefited from this, the ol' "Jones is drawing his defender away, leaving space for Wright"? Maybe. But there's been too many quiet, very quiet games from Jones to suggest it's all a positive.

His aerobic capacity does have him as a really good option to work up and back, be a target, take 8-10 marks a game. But I would argue he needs to be smarter at when and where he leads.

This is a really interesting point.

Because the fact is he does get on his bike and move around...genuinely close to more than any other key forward in the competition with the kms he racks up.
However, the knock on him has often been that he simply isn't involved in the game enough for a guy that cover that much ground. Like he's almost just running around as an endurance runner, but not running to the right spots to be a target and get involved.

Now, has Wright benefited from this, the ol' "Jones is drawing his defender away, leaving space for Wright"? Maybe. But there's been too many quiet, very quiet games from Jones to suggest it's all a positive.

His aerobic capacity does have him as a really good option to work up and back, be a target, take 8-10 marks a game. But I would argue he needs to be smarter at when and where he leads.

Hard to know how much of it comes from our delivery i50 being dumb where we just kick it to Wright constantly.

Since Wright has come back in we seem to have just given up on doing anything but trying to dump it on his head. If we know we've got other marking options who generally make smart leads (e.g. Langford) then use them. The more avenues to goal we have the better, even if it means Wright doesn't win a Coleman.

As much as I think he could be a very good forward, the solution might be sending him back.

It saved Hurley's career (injury wise), and the club still need tall, fit, marking defenders.
Hurley was an AA defender at under 18 level so it was a reasonable skill set for him to fall back on.
Not saying Harry could not do it but we are talking slightly different beasts .

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back