AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to know how much of it comes from our delivery i50 being dumb where we just kick it to Wright constantly.

Since Wright has come back in we seem to have just given up on doing anything but trying to dump it on his head. If we know we've got other marking options who generally make smart leads (e.g. Langford) then use them. The more avenues to goal we have the better, even if it means Wright doesn't win a Coleman.
i think a large part of that is we generally don't have those options. Teams worked us out weeks ago to zone defence us and let us chip about.
We don't create the space in our F50 the way others seem to do to us.

On Jones, i think he's Stringer's natural replacement. We lose the mid rotations, but get a guy who can run up and down the ground all day.

im warming to the idea of a Wright (1), Langford (2), Jones (3) tall forward line. What Langford lacks in overall height he makes up for in game prowess and forward craft.
Then surround them pressure players.
Run Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs, Merrett, Parish as Mid/HF's. Until the midfield steps up to lock the ball inside 50 and get on the scoreboard, we're gonna struggle.
3 smaller fwds in Menzie, Davey and Mass.

i think a large part of that is we generally don't have those options. Teams worked us out weeks ago to zone defence us and let us chip about.
We don't create the space in our F50 the way others seem to do to us.

On Jones, i think he's Stringer's natural replacement. We lose the mid rotations, but get a guy who can run up and down the ground all day.

im warming to the idea of a Wright (1), Langford (2), Jones (3) tall forward line. What Langford lacks in overall height he makes up for in game prowess and forward craft.
Then surround them pressure players.
Run Perkins, Caldwell, Hobbs, Merrett, Parish as Mid/HF's. Until the midfield steps up to lock the ball inside 50 and get on the scoreboard, we're gonna struggle.
3 smaller fwds in Menzie, Davey and Mass.
Because even when we chip chip chip we still aren't really building patiently. We chip chip chip then try and burst quickly and kick long so teams hold their zones because they know what the end result will be regardless of the build up.

Because even when we chip chip chip we still aren't really building patiently. We chip chip chip then try and burst quickly and kick long so teams hold their zones because they know what the end result will be regardless of the build up.
yep
And i think that's largely because we aren't good at creating space.
i'd say 8/10 fwd entries for us would be to packs with a lot of chaotic football.
Conversely, it seems at least half our opponents entries are into space and our defenders can't defend it all and the players streaming into it.

yep
And i think that's largely because we aren't good at creating space.
i'd say 8/10 fwd entries for us would be to packs with a lot of chaotic football.
Conversely, it seems at least half our opponents entries are into space and our defenders can't defend it all and the players streaming into it.
I think you've missed my point mate.

The space is created when you mix up your entries and have teams uncertain. I'm saying we don't do that hence no space.

I think you've missed my point mate.

The space is created when you mix up your entries and have teams uncertain. I'm saying we don't do that hence no space.
yeah agree. I think it's a lot of things
clubs working out they can let us have the possession out from the back
Once we start that, we don't patiently wait for space to open
the forward structure doesn't create those opportunities
And we tend to kick to the same pack.

As you say, our outlets to goal are pretty limited - Wright taking a mark. Langford finding space. Redman from outside 50. Or a scramble.

Its a weird take to say just coz he did it a couple of times doesn't mean he'll do it consistently?

I never said he won't make it, I hope he does. If he does I don't think it's as a contested marking forward, I think it’s more likely he'll get on his bike and burn blokes on the lead.

Hmmm I think with young key forwards you look for hints of what will come regularly once they’re grown men.

In most cases the good things they do occasionally will become more regular.

Jones is no Levi Casboult. But he jumps hard at the ball and is particularly effective at coming from the side.

Maybe we have different takes on the term consistently. I don’t mean… every week. Just more often.

One thing that shows he is invested in the club has been the fact that during his time out he has been working with the VFL coaches and been in the box on VFL game day. Talking to the players during the breaks.

Cal on Gettables saying he things Jones will sign on with Essendon
He's a young KPF that has shown something at AFL level previously, at a club with a dearth of KPF who have shown something at AFL level.

Diabolical doesn't even begin to describe how badly the list management would have to be to let him go.

He's a young KPF that has shown something at AFL level previously, at a club with a dearth of KPF who have shown something at AFL level.

Diabolical doesn't even begin to describe how badly the list management would have to be to let him go.
Agree. But there were some that though about moving him on. Would be dumb. but this clubs ..who knows

We have had such a good run finding and developing KPFs. Wont be hard to find another :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice they gave him another chance.

I really want things to click for Harry, both with his confidence and his body... Showed glimpses of real talent in his first year. Second/Third year looked a bit lost and also dreadful injuries...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back