Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - finishes 5th in the 2024 SBM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom showed Cunners-like 4D chess vision in his first year, but has seemed to throw those goggles of a cliff sometime since then.

Comparisons with Ben10 will fall well short because of two reasons:

Strength: Tom just does not have the innate strength in the contest that Ben had which allowed him to release handballs while drawing two oppo players.

Defensive intent: now we have to remember Ben started his first 4 years playing with our all-time tackle record holder Swallow. But I’m saying that, Ben showed three times the intent and capability to hunt, tackle and shut down anything that moves within 5 metres.
Going by his old man, Tom has a reasonable chance of getting thicker as he ages.

I really like him but he does need to get more desperate to reach that next level.

Last edited:
I don't think I could find a single human however who would believe Massimo, Reid or Weddle had a worse year than Tom.
Dunno about Reid. When i saw him play he took a speccy but that was about it. Mckercher was heaps better.

Really surprised he finished top 5, as he had some really good games and so downright terrible games, just goes to show where we are at.

Hopefully he can add some running capacity and some speed to his game next year. His footy IQ is so obvious but he just needs the athleticism/tank to go with it.

Really surprised he finished top 5, as he had some really good games and so downright terrible games, just goes to show where we are at.

Hopefully he can add some running capacity and some speed to his game next year. His footy IQ is so obvious but he just needs the athleticism/tank to go with it.
Not to be disrespectful, but he, Cam and LMAC probably shouldn’t have been in the top 10. TP could have scraped in at 9/10. Like you say, he played some great games, but was probably as consistent as Jy.

There's some clowns on here that think Waddler Phillips is better than him!!! 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - finishes 5th in the 2024 SBM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back