Player Watch #24: Trent Rivers – midfield gun (imagine my surprise)

Remove this Banner Ad

Young and Rivers ironically on similar trajectories having moved into midfield full time in 2024.
Yeah this is a good point. Bigger types who can both defend and launch the ball.

Young the better kick, but Rivers is a bit quicker and more evasive. Both clubs did well out of that draft.

Funny how the inside out mid we wanted was on our list the whole time.
I still think Oliver, Riv and McVee would be an incredible trio moving forward..very good spread of inside and out capabilities with the bull in Oliver mixed with 2 young studs who can run, carry and more importantly hit targets. McVee and Riv have great speed out of a contest too. I'll be fn gutted if Goofy doesn't put time into McVee as a mid.

I still think Oliver, Riv and McVee would be an incredible trio moving forward..very good spread of inside and out capabilities with the bull in Oliver mixed with 2 young studs who can run, carry and more importantly hit targets. McVee and Riv have great speed out of a contest too. I'll be fn gutted if Goofy doesn't put time into McVee as a mid.
Time to quit on the idea Oliver can still be great until proven otherwise, it's not just fitness, there is a complete lack of desire right now in every 4/5 games.

I'm not 'totally' writing Oliver off, and am aware we very likely won't trade him come end of year.

However if he doesn't go back to being an elite mid next year off a full preseason we need to move the contract ASAP

I'm not 'totally' writing Oliver off, and am aware we very likely won't trade him come end of year.

However if he doesn't go back to being an elite mid next year off a full preseason we need to move the contract ASAP
Yeah, don't think there's any chance we're moving him on tbh. Elite contested ball winner that's still only 26. I'll back him in to have a big preseason and lead that midfield next year. If he's used purely as an in and under stoppage beast, and we surround him with blokes like Riv, Judd and Koz, then his impact can still be great. Big offseason for him and the fitness staff to get him up and going again. Unless there's a huge offer from a club, I can't see him going anywhere.

Time to quit on the idea Oliver can still be great until proven otherwise, it's not just fitness, there is a complete lack of desire right now in every 4/5 games.
Why though? He's had only half a season of just average footy with no preseason and mental health issues. Hey, he might be a bust from here on in, but I'm still positive about what he could bring based on what he's achieved at such a young age and over several years. Get his head and body right, and he'll be fine. I reckon we'll back him in.

Rivers would still be wasted in a back pocket if Petracca didn't get injured, Goodwin would be rolling the carcass of Luke Dunstan through the centre bounces if we were sitting higher on the ladder, such is his appetite for risk, fortunately his hand was forced to give Rivers a crack

Just need Clarry to cop a stint in Guantanamo Bay in the last few weeks of the season and we'll finally see our version of Josh Kelly in red & blue dominating the midfield in Judd McVee form

Why though? He's had only half a season of just average footy with no preseason and mental health issues. Hey, he might be a bust from here on in, but I'm still positive about what he could bring based on what he's achieved at such a young age and over several years. Get his head and body right, and he'll be fine. I reckon we'll back him in.
No question we will back him in, we have no other option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interested to see if we could rest him deep forward alongside his midfield stints. He's strong, explosive and good overhead. Would be nice to have a mid who could rest forward and clunk some grabs.

Might also help when teams start tagging him because they will be tagging him pretty soon.

I would swap McVee with Windsor tbh

Not that I don't think McVee is incapable of performing well in that role, but I just really like him at half back.

Would be interested to see if we could rest him deep forward alongside his midfield stints. He's strong, explosive and good overhead. Would be nice to have a mid who could rest forward and clunk some grabs.

Might also help when teams start tagging him because they will be tagging him pretty soon.
No reason he can't, good players are just good players no matter where you play em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back