Traded #25: Jake Stringer - 📦 Traded to GWS for Pick #53 - 16/10

Remove this Banner Ad

His games in the last two weeks have been what we've desperately needed from Stringer.

It's good to seem him put that big arse into gear and use it to get the ball forward.

I'm disappointed in myself because I should have seen it earlier. I usually love players who can't help themselves, and that's Stringer. That run down the wing last week when he took about 3 bounces after the ball was called back said it all really, bloody hilarious.

Like Woosha said think they’re getting better at working out how to use him
Completely agree. I think his performance last night was his best for the club.

Using him as a mid/forward helps the team so much more than having him play mostly forward. We've actually started to develop a bit of a midfield in the last couple of weeks by playing Langford as well as rotating Laverde and Stringer through centre bounces and stoppages on occasion.

That first clearance Stringer got is a great example of the kind of thing we simply haven't been able to do. In the past, we might've won the clearance, but it'd be shallow and easy pickings for the swarm of opposition defenders to pick off or force to ground. Stringer's kick made them all irrelevant by going over the top and Baguley was smart enough to read it.

Like the fact we are using him as the big body at center bounces but he is still playing a greater percentage forward.
i like that role. While he's fresh, get him in there to get the ball moving forward.
He's not far off where Dusty was a few years back. Though has a bit of form and fitness to gain. But i see a lot of similarities in the two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i like that role. While he's fresh, get him in there to get the ball moving forward.
He's not far off where Dusty was a few years back. Though has a bit of form and fitness to gain. But i see a lot of similarities in the two.
Also needs to learn to play his role even when the team is struggling to be considered anywhere near the level of Dusty. Looks a million dollars when the team is winning but will vanish the minute we start to struggle.

Also needs to learn to play his role even when the team is struggling to be considered anywhere near the level of Dusty. Looks a million dollars when the team is winning but will vanish the minute we start to struggle.
yep.

Endemic of a lot of our team
How much better do Saad and McKenna look when we're up and about
And Zaka, Goddard, Tippa.

Can count on one hand the number of players who put in the effort when the results are going against us.

yep.

Endemic of a lot of our team
How much better do Saad and McKenna look when we're up and about
And Zaka, Goddard, Tippa.

Can count on one hand the number of players who put in the effort when the results are going against us.
Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Smith, Fantasia and McGrath are the ones I’d confidently name. Daniher and Merrett have done so for the last couple of years but have had their respective issues this season.

Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Smith, Fantasia and McGrath are the ones I’d confidently name. Daniher and Merrett have done so for the last couple of years but have had their respective issues this season.
Cant give you Heppell. but my hat off to him when he went to the development group and took onus for the form slump of the seniors. Changed my opinion of him as captain.

The other 5 were who i was thinking.

He is starting to enjoy himself and mature a bit i feel... i didnt get to see 6 minutes of the last quater v GWS as i was watching 15 mins delayed and my Foxtel went postal so missed a few things he did etc...

That post game interview is very telling IMO that he feels accepted and is realising that if we play well and win then the rewards of playing in a winning big 4 team are substantially beneficial to why he is is a pro footballer...

I've never seen him speak so humble ever in an interview in general... Once the penny drops that his efforts set his path I'd say look out...

There are many similarities to Dusty i didn't notice until now, its just that he needs to be stimulated the right way to flush them out...

One little thing he did in the game on the weekend really impressed me. Got the ball in the pocket and was moving towards the boundary under a lot of pressure and you could see him shaping up to have a very low % shot but then he seemed to change his mind and just let himself be shoved over the line so we could lock it in. Very unselfish.

Dusty is a class above, I don’t think Stringer will quite hit those heights. Jake has the strength and power and is a great finisher but doesn’t quite have Dusty’s exquisite touch around the field (by foot especially) and desire to break lines. Still loving what he brings though.

One little thing he did in the game on the weekend really impressed me. Got the ball in the pocket and was moving towards the boundary under a lot of pressure and you could see him shaping up to have a very low % shot but then he seemed to change his mind and just let himself be shoved over the line so we could lock it in. Very unselfish.

My take on that play was he was using his footy smarts to avoid being pinged for deliberate, Jake is quite an intelligent footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #25: Jake Stringer - 📦 Traded to GWS for Pick #53 - 16/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back