AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you really judge players that harshly for 2020? it was extreme circumstances living in the hubs away from family. From all accounts Stringer was really missing his kids so can imagine he would have struggled with also having to rehab. He was in ripping shape at the start of 2020 and same this year which shows under normal circumstances he was putting in the effort during pre-season.

Is it judging him harshly not to want to pay him big money on a long term deal?

Stringer is clearly as talented player who I want to keep at Essendon but I don’t think he appeals to many other clubs and has proven multiple times that he isn’t great at staying in shape whilst also having a propensity for soft tissue injuries.

This isn’t 2017 we can’t just hand out big contracts to players for good feelings.

Ordinarily I wouldn’t care, but I think for whatever reason, it just frustrates me when it’s in regards to Stringer. He’s turned his career around, he’s been mostly excellent for us and it’s largely glossed over. It almost feels like backhanded compliments from the media as opposed to actually recognising that he’s quite consistent most weeks when he isn’t injured.
I get what you're saying but the media/commentary in general can often be dumb, slow to react, are often lazy with their opinions/research and love jumping on a bandwagon. None of it actually changes what Stringer does for the team so it doesn't bother me at all.

Are people just acting like the last half of 2020 didn’t happen. He came back from his ankle injury around 100 kg mark and was covering the ground like a suburban footballer.
Plenty struggled in the hub. Especially as he also has kids. Don’t define his four years with us with just those 8 or so weeks.

I don't think he should be getting 800k. I mean, come on. That is literally Merrett money. Give him 2 million over three with a trigger for another 2 years.

Something that BrunoV said struck me; Jake just played a game only maybe 5 guys in the league, total are capable of...

I tried to tally in my mind what players in the comp are capable of having 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 clearances, 10i50s, 690m gained and kicking 4 goals in a game? Be it once or routinely

I was thinking perhaps dusty, danger, trac, bont. Elite company. Brownlow medalists or current Brownlow favs. Possibly DeGoey who's more in the Jake camp I guess. Any others?

We really do have a unique talent on our books, dont wish him away with suburban footballer jibes!

Something that BrunoV said struck me; Jake just played a game only maybe 5 guys in the league, total are capable of...

I tried to tally in my mind what players in the comp are capable of having 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 clearances, 10i50s, 690m gained and kicking 4 goals in a game? Be it once or routinely

I was thinking perhaps dusty, danger, trac, bont. Elite company. Brownlow medalists or current Brownlow favs. Possibly DeGoey who's more in the Jake camp I guess. Any others?

We really do have a unique talent on our books, dont wish him away with suburban footballer jibes!
Fyfe can kick 6 behinds and get 30 possessions :D

im not totally for performance based contracts - it kind of flies in the face of team football and system based play. What does player a: do if he needs 2 more goals to trigger a rise and is on the boundary 50 out while a mate seems front 30 out infront? decisions decisions. amount of games is a fair trigger, not sure about performace
I'm happy to only have a few KPIs for Jake.

Games played
Skin folds
VO2 max

I think we let Jake dictate to us over the remainder of the season what he’s worth. He’s arguably in the best shape & form of his career the past month, so the challenge for him is whether he can sustain it??

I want to see no injuries & his best footy; particularly over the next fortnight against quality opponents before we start talking contracts.

As joey has said above, Fye. I also had Robbie Grey in mind though I'm not sure Grey does it with the same level of physical domination of his opponents.

Stats wise, there will be plenty who have done it, Zaharakis has done it twice, but it's not about stats as much as it is about the domination of the game and the psychological impact of that domination.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Zaharakis has done it twice. 😂

Merrett has done it too.

I think Zaharakis has done it twice. 😂

Merrett has done it too.
Anzac Day 2013: 34 touches, 1 tackle, 6 clearances, 6 inside 50s, don't have the metres gained, kicked 4.1.

Melbourne 2014: 31 touches, 1 tackle, 5 clearances, 9 inside 50s, kicked 4.1

Sydney 2016: 33 touches, 3 tackles, 7 clearances, 4 inside 50s, kicked 2.2

Just rolling down his page on AFL tables, the trick is getting both high clearances and goals in the same game, he usually gets one or the other, and rarely 6 and 4. He also doesn't seem to have the ability to lay more than one tackle in a game like that, which I suppose means he's been a bit of a front runner in those games where he's got on the end of them.

Would be a question for Swampthing I reckon, bloke must have AI or something with how quick he produces random af requested stats.

Also as far as Stringer he's never got close to something like this game before.

Game against Carlton in round 7 he had 18 touches, 3 tackles, 6 clearances, 6 inside 50s and kicked 3.3. He did something similar against Gold Coast in 2019, and the year before his games against Brisbane (22 touches, 9 tackles, 4 clearances, 8 inside 50s, kicked 3.1) and Richmond (29 touches, 1 tackle, 9 clearances, 5 inside 50s, but only kicked a behind).

Those are probably the next closest. Yesterday is the first time he's put it all together in one game, playing the clearance mid and the goal kicking freak in the same game though.

Last edited:
For those saying he’s constantly injured I’m not sure why you think that…??
He’s played 58 games since 2018 during the 3.5 years he’s been with us. Compare that to ;-

Shiel - 62 : currently injured
Smith- 55
Heppell - 54
Hurley- 53: currently injured
Francis - 40
Laverde - 36

The reality is most AFL players get injured at some point- he’s no better or worse than most. Not everyone is like Tippa and can just play every week. I certainly wouldn’t say Jake is an injury prone player - whereas players like Laverde, and the recently departed Daniher and Fantasia (I felt sick typing those names) - they clearly are..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards don't stuff around with Jake, don't be silly like say Carlton, St Kilda, Norf style with offers but at all costs retain him and deep dive on what makes him flick that switch and go into beast mode...

I honestly think with Jake it's always between the ears with him and we need to remember his life outside of football has genuine commitments and challenges, coupled with a huge amount of idiots ripping into him for various reasons over some of his mannerisms and past personal challenges...

I get the feeling he feels safe with us and if his life is in order he plays some of the most exciting football achievable in the modern era, we have to sure him up!

This season has been a kind of break out year at the start of the second half of his career. He’s reached that age where he knows high fitness levels are paramount and has matured as a player with his repeated on field efforts to get the ball when required to move up the ground away from F50 and play around the packs.

There’s no doubt he’ll stay a bomber and come to an agreement with the club on a reasonable wage which both parties are happy with.

There’s a few key strengths Jake has that make him such a valuable and unique player.

His solid hips and legs make it almost impossible for opponents to bring him down and if he’s caught he’s smart enough to always get a quick handpass away to our advantage. If he’s getting held by one arm he’ll still have the focus to hold his stance and drop the ball into the boot with one hand and at least boot the shit out the footy forward to our advantage.

He’s super aggressive without giving away frees. Jake has matured as a senior player and remains focused all game and doesn’t lose his head if things aren’t going his way in moments.

His kicking skills are elite.

There’s no other player in our side that has so much confidence and calmness in his own kicking than Stringer.
Boundary shots..long range set shots..close in angled kicks...he can do it all without any stress at all. Nothing rattles him while having a ping at the goals.

His ability to find the smallest amount of time and space to snap for goal or go for a long drop punt is superb.
He only needs a few steps of clear space and he knows exactly where the goals are when surrounded in heavy traffic. That’s rare and valuable.

His one on one marking skills are very very good. Knows how to push off at exactly the right moment and hardly ever drops a mark that comes directly into both hands.
Also, even at his solid weight, he can still leap and jump when required and take a grab.

His pace has quickened this season with a bit of weight drop and conditioning.
His legs are in good shape and he can maintain a good steady gallop for 4 qrts.

And don’t underestimate his leadership abilities too. His likeable and out going personality is an asset to the side especially with the young kids we have.

Lastly...he loves to win. He loves to kick goals and thrives on the crowd roar.
He’s an exhibitionist and a show off but doesn’t go overboard with celebrations.
All signs of a matured Jake that we must have around for the next 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
I have faith that our front office will do the right thing by him and us. He wants to play for us which really helps. He's not going to do a Saad, Fantasia or Daniher on us.

It’s interesting that anyone is even looking back at those 3 now.
Because in my mind it was almost inevitable they would leave for their own personal reasons.

Saad - believed we weren’t going places as a side and CFC offered him good coin and some other unknown incentives that obviously appealed to the bloke.

Fantasia wanted to go back to SA. Pretty standard move for a lot of WA or SA born and bred players

Daniher- who the hell knows why he would want to go to Brisbane and live. Probably the same mindset as Saad and believed we weren’t going anywhere fast with our development as a side.

Stringer’s right now mind will be nothing like those 3. He looks very comfortable and happy as a bomber and I’m sure he’ll sign up without demanding some ridiculous high fee.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back