AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield went like a busted arse in 2021 as did Cameron. As I read what happened there, they learned from their mistakes. Scott said as much.

The Cats couldn't get Cockatoo up and running. They will have had their fair share of players they have struggled to get right. Esava strikes me as one but I'm not prepared to die on that hill.

I'm as much a fan of Geelong, and respect what they do as much, as anyone who doesn't specifically follow them. They don't have a magic wand.

Stringer was essentially shown the door by a reasonably strong outfit that had just won a flag. Bevo punted him publicly in a moment of surgery induced stupor if I remember correctly.

It is not just our operation that has struggled with Stringer. The objective evidence is that he lacks professionalism. It is extremely close to being an incontestable fact that players who do not properly prepare themselves suffer injury problems.

In addition, not everything we do is wrong. Laverede, Ridley and Redman all started with a lot of bad luck and missed a lot of footy early. They have become very durable. Baldwin hasn't missed a beat in about 20 months after consecutive ACLs. Tex got through his first year unscathed off no base and injury problems.

Can do an ACL rehab standing on our arse, we have a very good record there and to be clear, I don’t doubt our ability to rehab a knee or a back or whatever else.

I doubt that we are smart enough to take a considered approach and think our way through managing a power athlete who will always have that lingering spectre of the broken leg hanging over him and his preparation and come up with a plan that doesn’t result in the same thing happening over and over again for the same reasons.

I doubt that we are smart enough to take a considered approach and think our way through managing a power athlete who will always have that lingering spectre of the broken leg hanging over him and his preparation and come up with a plan that doesn’t result in the same thing happening over and over again for the same reasons.
Nothing to do with his broken leg, or your Footy dept. being intelligent enough to manage him appropriately.. Stringer does put in the work, but it's always reactionary. The proactive recommendations he gets are not followed, nor does he present in good shape coming back from the off-season. When things go wrong, Jake does bust his chops to get back out there. Jake is extremely good at following rehab protocols.

Send him to Lance Whitnall's fat camp.
R.e85808d0df39a305b1845ad03b90edd5

Nothing to do with his broken leg, or your Footy dept. being intelligent enough to manage him appropriately.. Stringer does put in the work, but it's always reactionary. The proactive recommendations he gets are not followed, nor does he present in good shape coming back from the off-season. When things go wrong, Jake does bust his chops to get back out there. Jake is extremely good at following rehab protocols.

And as far as I’m concerned that’s a club wide thing for us, not a him thing.

Which leads me to believe it’s less than stellar management on our end.

the problem is prevention is better than reaction.

weight fluctuation is known to increase risk of injury.

is what it is, but it's still shit he doesn't get the message. But it's the club who accepts it, so it's their responsibility at the end of the day.

stringer looks pretty chunky....not good....
He's like Johncock, he comes back fat and works it off as the season goes.
Will he ever become the Gary Ablett Sr. he looked like he was going to be when he entered the league because of his work ethic? No.
Will he be an enigma that can turn games on its head on his own boot? Yes.
Have we had one of these players apart from Stringer since Hird retired? Nope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's like Johncock, he comes back fat and works it off as the season goes.
Will he ever become the Gary Ablett Sr. he looked like he was going to be when he entered the league because of his work ethic? No.
Will he be an enigma that can turn games on its head on his own boot? Yes.
Have we had one of these players apart from Stringer since Hird retired? Nope.
What are all these games Stringer has turned on their head for us?

What are all these games Stringer has turned on their head for us?

His form post-bye in 2021 was massive. Including the EF game where he struggled he averaged 19.6 disposals, 2.2 goals and 4.5 tackles per game.

That 2021 Hawks game he had 29 disposals, 4 goals, 7 tackles, 10 inside 50s and 3 Brownlow votes...

St Kilda 2021 first half, Gold Coast 2019, collingwood 2020, bulldogs 2020 his midfield work.
It’s not we’ve won a heap of games / how many he’s missed and it’s not like players that can change a game a few times a year are common.
Agreed it's hard to be a player who can win the game off their own boot if your team isn't any good. Not sure a couple of h&a matches + a purple patch of several weeks is quite "since James Hird" territory. We did have a guy called Watson who carried us week in week out at one stage. Stringer fits into the Jeff Farmer school of can be anything - even nothing when it counts the most.

Agreed it's hard to be a player who can win the game off their own boot if your team isn't any good. Not sure a couple of h&a matches + a purple patch of several weeks is quite "since James Hird" territory. We did have a guy called Watson who carried us week in week out at one stage. Stringer fits into the Jeff Farmer school of can be anything - even nothing when it counts the most.
I never agreed to the the hird comparison, just saying he’s one of the few we’ve had that can change a whole match in 15 minute patch and he’s done it plenty of times. I’m hoping archie is much fitter consistent match winning version of this.

Jake hasn’t turned that many games by himself. Hird did it season after season and left no stone unturned to present in the best possible shape every week. Just saw Stringer on the news and he is still miles away from being ready to play. Totally unprofessional and needs to be gone next year. The worst example for our younger players. Apparently Jones has been told to work harder, I am sure the reaction has always been ”look at stringer”, why should I? This is Scott’s chance to set standards that can’t be ignored.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back