AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Integrity has warned Essendon to be vigilant over who it allows into its change rooms after concerns were raised about players’ associates.

AFL Integrity has warned Essendon to be vigilant over who it allows into its change rooms after concerns were raised about players’ associates.

It’s believed the Bombers were warned to be aware of associates of recently delisted Bomber Nick Hind, who is known to have a shared friendship group with teammate Jake Stringer.

It’s believed the associates regularly attend Essendon matches and were seen in the Bombers’ rooms more than once this season.

The AFL confirmed to the Herald Sun it had advised a club that friends of a player were not welcome in the club’s inner-sanctum, but would not confirm the club or the player.

The league did not disclose the reason the warning was issued.

The Bombers have been contacted for comment.

Stringer, 30, is reported to be in a stand-off with the Bombers and despite being contracted for another season, he is exploring a possible trade.

The Herald Sun understands that rival clubs are aware of the situation with Stringer, his friends and AFL Integrity.

After being linked to Collingwood in a possible trade, reports emerged that the Pies have cooled their interest in the dynamic forward.

Sydney is reported to the frontrunner if a Stringer trade plays out.

In an interview with the Herald Sun in May, Stringer said he began exploring Islam when he met a Muslim man at a sponsor’s barbecue in December last year.

The man invited Stringer to attend a mosque in Sunshine.

“I talk to him every day and see him most days since then,” Stringer said of the relationship.

“The guys there have been massive for me this year, just helping me to find a very good balance. Their brotherhood is amazing and it’s something I’ve loved from the moment I met them.’’

The AFL stepping in to ban an associate of a player is rare. In 2013, Richmond’s Jake King was advised to not bring bikie underworld figure Toby Mitchell into the rooms after Mitchell was seen in the inner sanctum after the club’s round 20 win against the Brisbane Lions.

It prompted the Tigers to tell King the association was unacceptable.

Then-AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said King’s decision to invite Mitchell into the club’s rooms was “pretty stupid” and, separately, raised concerns about undesirable people potentially “infiltrating” the code.

King tested Richmond’s patience when he was seen twice in public with the former bikie enforcer in the ensuing months.

Outgoing Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale conceded the club could not specifically ban King from associating with Mitchell.

“We’ve brought it to Jake’s attention that he should think long and hard about those sorts of friendships and connections and associations,’’ Gale said.

Just get rid of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point his more trouble then his worth

we want a cultural change
I thought we wanted a cultural change from the class prefect private school boys who don't have the scrap in them? Now we want to go back to that to avoid a bit of negative press?
Honestly this seems like the same old essendon backroom politics, can't just let him go and say "thanks for the service Jake" they have to leak negative crap to the media too to win the PR battle.

I thought we wanted a cultural change from the class prefect private school boys who don't have the scrap in them? Now we want to go back to that to avoid a bit of negative press?
Honestly this seems like the same old essendon backroom politics, can't just let him go and say "thanks for the service Jake" they have to leak negative crap to the media too to win the PR battle.
...whilst scaring away all the potential suitors?
None of it makes sense to me...

Why would they 'leak negative crap to the media' if they want him to go and not have to basically give him away for nothing like the exact way he came to us which was rightly laughed at by everyone except Footscray supporters?

Honestly this seems like the same old essendon backroom politics, can't just let him go and say "thanks for the service Jake" they have to leak negative crap to the media too to win the PR ba

The culture is more then just Private school boys etc its more to do with blokes content with just being an AFL Player

I wont lie i would much rather him be traded but its not due to the above article its to do with the toxic stuff he does on field and the unprofessionalism that comes from him

Last edited:
Why would they 'leak negative crap to the media' if they want him to go and not have to basically give him away for nothing like the exact way he came to us which was rightly laughed at by everyone except Footscray supporters?
I'm talking about the PR battle in regards to supporters.
I'd wager a large portion of the rank and file members love Jake and would be pissed that the club is letting go of a guy who just kicked 40+ goals.
I haven't heard any negative reports re jake at his time at essendon nor laverde nor merrett. And for the last two years we've been told merrett is laser focused on us achieving success and him and Scott are on same page.
But all of a sudden in the last month it feels like a negative story a week about these three guys.
And yes it's stupid to spread negative info when you are trying to offload him, but like you guys have said the Dogs did it with him previously and I hardly think we are a more competently run organisation than them.

The culture is more then just Private school boys etc its more to do with blokes content with just being an AFL Player

I wont lie i would much rather him be traded but its not due to the above article its to do with the toxic stuff he does on field and the unprofessionalism that comes from him
The term "toxic" has lost all meaning

The term "toxic" has lost all meaning

So when he does not get the ball and jumps up and down and whines throws his hands around yells at his teammates for not giving him the ball isnt toxic for the team?

His 31 next year our forward line is unbalanced if he goes you can slot another small in his spot moving him on would be a step back to go forward

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back