AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Having underworld figures in the inner sanctum of the club is not insignificant, and certainly not in the eyes of the AFL. There's a massive issue worldwide of organised crime infiltrating elite level sports - certainly drawn by the massive sums involved in sports gambling and the opportunities to exploit that. AFL warning totally fair enough for mine.

Yeah even though it's definitely not what happened it makes you wonder if Stringer shanking goals from directly in front & giving up so badly at the end of the year was part of betting.

Yeah even though it's definitely not what happened it makes you wonder if Stringer shanking goals from directly in front & giving up so badly at the end of the year was part of betting.
This is exactly the point. It's as much about the perception of integrity in the sport as it is about the reality of integrity. If you have situations that make people start to question actions on the field that's a massive issue for the AFL in itself.

Jake Stringer (Essendon)

Collingwood or Sydney? Or stay at the Bombers?

“He’s told people that he’s played his last game at the Bombers but there’s still every chance he ends up back at the Bombers.

“At the moment he doesn’t have a suitor coming for him. He’s got the contract for next year.

“Collingwood have looked at it and there’s no doubt about that. Craig McRae has had interest in him because there’s an appealing factor about it. He could probably produce 50 goals in Collingwood’s forward line, but there’s other factors too.

“I don’t see it as the Pies now, I don’t see it as the Swans either as I don’t think it’s something on their radar.

“If you’re a club that’s really keen on Jake Stringer you might not be saying it right now because it’s clear that he’s on the trade table so just wait a bit longer and something could pop up later in the period.”

AFL Media's Cal Twomey

Jake Stringer (Essendon)

Collingwood or Sydney? Or stay at the Bombers?

“He’s told people that he’s played his last game at the Bombers but there’s still every chance he ends up back at the Bombers.

“At the moment he doesn’t have a suitor coming for him. He’s got the contract for next year.

“Collingwood have looked at it and there’s no doubt about that. Craig McRae has had interest in him because there’s an appealing factor about it. He could probably produce 50 goals in Collingwood’s forward line, but there’s other factors too.

“I don’t see it as the Pies now, I don’t see it as the Swans either as I don’t think it’s something on their radar.

“If you’re a club that’s really keen on Jake Stringer you might not be saying it right now because it’s clear that he’s on the trade table so just wait a bit longer and something could pop up later in the period.”

AFL Media's Cal Twomey
i have lurked on bigFooty for a while so i respect your views and opinions on here they are usually spot on

What are your thoughts as a whole on keeping Jake or getting rid of him?

i have lurked on bigFooty for a while so i respect your views and opinions on here they are usually spot on

What are your thoughts as a whole on keeping Jake or getting rid of him?
I think he will end up staying but that is just my uninformed opinion at this stage. Does not seem to be much interest in offering him two years from anyone.
Personally I would let him go. I just do not think the current forward mix works. Not saying it is all his doing but it is time for change the set up and look to the next stage. I am not seeing a flag anytime soon. What I am seeing is a small window in the next 3 years to stay in the top end of the draft and move a few of the older guys on. Not smash the list but move two or three each year over the next three years.
Stringer would work if we had a decent FF , no Langford and a couple of zippy small forwards. He can kick 40 to 50 goals.
But then Langford would kick you 50 in the same circumstances.
I am not against letting him go. He is still a decent player but our forward mix is not right.

I think he will end up staying but that is just my uninformed opinion at this stage. Does not seem to be much interest in offering him two years from anyone.
Personally I would let him go. I just do not think the current forward mix works. Not saying it is all his doing but it is time for change the set up and look to the next stage. I am not seeing a flag anytime soon. What I am seeing is a small window in the next 3 years to stay in the top end of the draft and move a few of the older guys on. Not smash the list but move two or three each year over the next three years.
Stringer would work if we had a decent FF , no Langford and a couple of zippy small forwards. He can kick 40 to 50 goals.
But then Langford would kick you 50 in the same circumstances.
I am not against letting him go. He is still a decent player but our forward mix is not right.

I have some other issues with him but your main point is spot on

Also agree that a list rebalance while being in he top end of the draft is the right play

Dont see us being a finals contention team until around 2027-2028

Geez after actually watching that Roaming BT vid alarm bells are going off in a big way. Only known him a few months but catch up with him all the time and he's 'taking care of me and Jakey'. Does that not just reek of how those organised crime types operate? (Caveat everything I know about organised crime is from movies and tv shows).

Geez after actually watching that Roaming BT vid alarm bells are going off in a big way. Only known him a few months but catch up with him all the time and he's 'taking care of me and Jakey'. Does that not just reek of how those organised crime types operate? (Caveat everything I know about organised crime is from movies and tv shows).
That’s right - it looks 100% dodgy.
Dodgy+ even.

My healthy cynicism aside, there is still a chance they catch up at coffee shop and old mate looks after them with good advice.

But in the kangaroo court of my mind … guilty as.

Guilty of what?
That’s right… guilty of what?

there’s a perception that it looks that they (Hind & Stringer) have an association with a dodgy people with unspecified dodgy activities…

Watching the video and doing 2+2 to equal dodgy. It gets me… but it’s just as likely to be a beat up.

A good Collingwood supporting mate told me on the weekend that if this bloke comes to Collingwood he's done with them.
Genuinely hilarious they're ok with people in the past like Didak et al and more currently someone like De Goey but Jake is somehow 'too far'
When you say “they’re” your referring to just your mate and not assuming his response applies for the other 100,000+ Collingwood fans though… correct?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I hope we keep him for 1 year and then see where things are at at the end of next season. I don't think we'd get much in a trade for him given his age and off-field history (seems a bit of a beat up for the most part except for his poor training standards).
I think the biggest issue our forward line had was our small forwards. None of them were much chop this year. If we can get some improvement in that area then the whole forward line will just function a lot better.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back