AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

If he'd spent more time before the head knock not being fat and lazy...
Should have been doing extra work in preparation for being kneed in the head .;)

I agree with others that the club probably didn't strike the right balance between keeping players health issues private and a bit of disclosure to say he has a bit of an issue that's keeping him from doing as much work as is ideal which could delay his start to the season.

They don't need to tell us everything but if you say nothing people fill in the blanks which can be worse.

It was nice to see Jake up and about yesterday.

Never saw that knee to the head - but remember guys on here saying it was nasty and Pickett could have avoided it. Hips, knees and head to head clashes at speed particularly risky for long term injury. Sounds like some healing in the brain has happened but once again long term effects who knows. Hopefully there are therapies coming out that can stop things progressing the wrong way over time. It would be awful living with a ticking time bomb.

I heard from a relative of his that he got Covid as well over the preseason so that might have set him back a couple of weeks of prep on top of his other issues.

Paywalled but Stringer discusses battling with the aftermath of a serious concussion at the end of last season and the impact on his preseason

“People can say what they want, but you’ve got to put your health first and I had to do that for that period and I’m just grateful to be able to run out and put on the red and black and do this club proud.

“The first part (of the pre-season), I was battling a concussion from the last game of the year where I got kneed from Marlion Pickett.

“I couldn’t do much running at all and it was a very slow build-up. Then it wasn’t until December that I started to actually feel back to normal, so it was a fairly long 16 weeks going through that.
In your ****ing face Kane Cornes

Crickets from a few of the critics .
He’s so naturally gifted. And yep, he’s fit enough now to be playing league football.

I still reckon he could work on improving his diet when he’s injured. Body type or not, concussion or not, you should be able to come back not overweight.

Does it matter if he performs like he did on the weekend?

I reckon Jake would actually be the best player in the comp if he was in the top 25% of fit players rather than always being just fit enough to play.

The following can all be true:
  • his attitude and professionalism have been ok
  • he’s got himself ready to play well
  • he could be more professional particularly with diet, and maybe he would have less soft tissue injuries and be even more dominant

Not going to lose any sleep over it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone praising Jake for playing 1 good game in 5 are missing the point. He has the talent to do that more often and more consistently. His fitness and conditioning prevents him doing that.

People pointing that out are “critics” I guess. And if others can’t see it or don’t want to admit it, we will just agree to disagree

Until something changes, we will probably see Jake feasting on crap sides, and being extremely quiet against good ones, like today.

Everyone praising Jake for playing 1 good game in 5 are missing the point. He has the talent to do that more often and more consistently. His fitness and conditioning prevents him doing that.

People pointing that out are “critics” I guess. And if others can’t see it or don’t want to admit it, we will just agree to disagree

Until something changes, we will probably see Jake feasting on crap sides, and being extremely quiet against good ones, like today.
Said it at the start of the season
Id drop him until his fitness and effort warrants selection

Playing him off daicos was silly.

Langford, perkins, snelling, davey.
We've got some good goal threats.

For all of the talk of what jakey can do, we don't see it enough to make up for the liability he can be against hard running sides

Those who want to agree to disagree will not admit they where wrong about certain aspects of his pre season this year. They where all in on him being unprofessional again when it was not the case. Some of us who have an unbiased view acknowledge that he has had periods in his career where he has not helped himself with the level of commitment but also know injury and other circumstances have also played a part in the last couple of seasons.
As I said. Crickets. You where wrong about his pre season this year! Not that I expect much more . Must be a sad existence to just feel the need to post in the Jake thread. And yes this is a cheap shot :thumbsu:

If you where at the game today you would have seen how hard he was actually working both ways but it did not go his way. Did not stop him from working pretty hard defensively despite him having a quiet day on the offence side of things. Langford won the day as he ended up with the main role. Jake just had to play second string.

Those who want to agree to disagree will not admit they where wrong about certain aspects of his pre season this year. They where all in on him being unprofessional again when it was not the case. Some of us who have an unbiased view acknowledge that he has had periods in his career where he has not helped himself with the level of commitment but also know injury and other circumstances have also played a part in the last couple of seasons.
As I said. Crickets. You where wrong about his pre season this year! Not that I expect much more . Must be a sad existence to just feel the need to post in the Jake thread. And yes this is a cheap shot :thumbsu:

If you where at the game today you would have seen how hard he was actually working both ways but it did not go his way. Did not stop him from working pretty hard defensively despite him having a quiet day on the offence side of things. Langford won the day as he ended up with the main role. Jake just had to play second string.

His critics are not wrong. I’m not going to continue arguing with you, because you’ve made your bed

You’ve made no compelling arguments for why Jake continues to be inconsistent in form and fitness 10+ years into his career.

I love Jake, I just wish I could see him use his immense talents to our advantage more often

That’s all I have to say about that.

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

cant see that without hearing the accent.
back to Jakey, it does need to be more than waiting for things to happen and start making them happen.

wasn't at the game so ill cede the point on the defensive workrate.
Coach has said it is not all about Jake getting the cream every week. The set up this week was more about Langford. Stringer is never going to be effective as a marking forward so sometimes he will just have to play a role and if he gets a few breaks then he gets his turn.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back