AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re trying to pick a narrative to suit you however you’re actually making our point.

Our point is how Geelong went without Hawkin’s goals?
Yeah… sure… it’s some Dr Seuss Opposite Day thing right?

Hawkins - 36 yo - guessing he’s past it in 2024 now with that run of poor performances. If he’s not there next year… not losing much.

Stringer - 30 yo - shown in 2024 he’s not past it, so if he’s not there next year our goal kicking probably drops off.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy if he’s traded (even for little) for the long term benefit but suggestions we absolutely won’t lose out goals wise in the short term is beyond naive.

BTW - Who is “our” - am I up against some Illuminati or lizard people type alliance?

Last edited:
Did he? I don't really recall Hibberd playing inside midfield much in either the AFL or VFL side. He was like a big, slow winger. I thought it was mainly the fans here who saw his height and weight, and 'midfield' as his position, put 2 and 2 together and got 6 when his role was always on the outside.

Similar thing happened with that guy with the egg
You are right in not recalling him playing inside mid - he only did for a handful of minutes. He was drafted as an inside mid from Williamstown - the mathematical additions come from people who watch the VFL.

Did he? I don't really recall Hibberd playing inside midfield much in either the AFL or VFL side. He was like a big, slow winger. I thought it was mainly the fans here who saw his height and weight, and 'midfield' as his position, put 2 and 2 together and got 6 when his role was always on the outside.

Similar thing happened with that guy with the egg

Club general manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Hibberd's strengths and experience make him capable of having an instant impact at the club.

“Mitch is a premier player in the VFL competition, he is a big inside midfielder, has outstanding endurance and deserves an opportunity,” Dodoro said on Friday.

“Throughout this whole period we were looking for a ready-made inside midfielder and we believe we have found one in Mitch.

“We believe Mitch’s impact on the side will be immediate.”

Club general manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Hibberd's strengths and experience make him capable of having an instant impact at the club.

“Mitch is a premier player in the VFL competition, he is a big inside midfielder, has outstanding endurance and deserves an opportunity,” Dodoro said on Friday.

“Throughout this whole period we were looking for a ready-made inside midfielder and we believe we have found one in Mitch.

Love island!

Oh, lmao

You are right in not recalling him playing inside mid - he only did for a handful of minutes. He was drafted as an inside mid from Williamstown - the mathematical additions come from people who watch the VFL.
Yet he was a wing at North and anyone who bothered to have a look at his games at Williamstown would have see he was more a second receiver in the midfield than an actual bull at the contest. He had chances to prove that on the wing around stoppage but couldn’t .
It was a classic example of drafting a bloke hoping he could be sometimes else. Was more of a big bodied accumulator.

The simple fact is despite him being a decent player who can kick 49 to 50 goals we are not a side that is capable n the verge of winning a flag.
He goes and we play Langford and Perkins as the medium forwards.
Then maybe we also move on from that.

I agree. I think the saying ‘nature abhors a vacuum’ is applicable here.
Once he’s gone, others will get more opportunity, and eventually someone will step up their game to fill the void.

Also, true of our leadership - there were almost zero worthy candidates, but Hep steps down and Merrett steps in and goes up a few cogs.

The (my) first paragraph most likely won’t happen though with Stringer around.
He demands the ball in bad spots and has flying shots at goal that are 1/10 probability to come off. I think it’s a false economy to look only at the goals going out the door, as he does negative stuff too - the waste of energy and commitment from further up the field when he kicks 1.4, etc.
Others will get more ball directed to them (fingers crossed).
Sorry for the novel lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Homer Simpson Dancing GIF

No real negativity around the situation hopefully, I think he’s been alright for us, outcome here can very easily be good for all parties.
i'm thinking brad close or max holmes in a 1-1 swap? pretty fair imo

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back