AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Like a few others have said, we cant afford to have him on our list when he performs once out of every 5 games or so. Trade him while he still has some decent value

Unless it's a one year deal, it's time to move past him. We're not good enough elsewhere to carry a mercurial player who only occasionally shows up.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was time to move past him in 2017, and the bulldogs did. It isn't just inconsistency of effort/ability to stay fit. The guy plays a style of football that belongs in the late 00s and earlier, when forwards had isolation and

The pseudo talls that get the job done these days are the ones who can read the flight better than other players and make good position for the ball drop. Or they work up and down and find/create space. Or they have great acceleration and beat their man on a lead.

Of those qualities, he really only tries to be the last one, occasionally. But you rarely see him with any separation. I think he prefers a standing marking contest he can out muscle his opponent. He calls for it on his head too often for this not to be the case.

I've banged on about this but people still see it as a strength that his flashes of individual brilliance look really good. It all just completely ignores system and reliability. Help defence/zonal intercept players would be absolutely licking their lips when they see us in the fixture. Stringer basically invites the outnumber, he's a dinosaur.

I reckon there's a correlation between his performances dropping off and Davey coming out of the side.

There needs to be a faster live wire up front to create pressure or perceived pressure.

If Stringer is the deepest lying forward running from one mark to another as opposition defenders chip the ball around, then he'll quickly burn out and lose interest.

0 centre bounce attendances, plays close to goal, kicks 3 and looks a million bucks. 10 tackles as well.

Relaxed Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

0 centre bounce attendances, plays close to goal, kicks 3 and looks a million bucks. 10 tackles as well.

Relaxed Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Exactly.

Last week he attended 72% of center bounces, Caldwell 34% and we got smacked.

This week Stringer attends 0% of center bounces and Caldwell moves up to 67% of them.

Mids perform better, forwards perform better. No brainer that he needs his tank full up forward, can't be wasting tickets in the middle where he's not that impactful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

Last week he attended 72% of center bounces, Caldwell 34% and we got smacked.

This week Stringer attends 0% of center bounces and Caldwell moves up to 67% of them.

Mids perform better, forwards perform better. No brainer that he needs his tank full up forward, can't be wasting tickets in the middle where he's not that impactful

Yeah fully agree, much better profile. There is enough depth in that midfield group now that he really shouldn’t have to.

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall in the coaches box for that last centre bounce though, I reckon that if they had the chance they would have put him in there for it.

Scott all but confirms he’s about to re-sign.

Poor decision for mine. He’d have some interest from other clubs and would land us a second-rounder I reckon.

Right time to move him on, we have Caddy, Jones and Langford (plus Wright if he ever gets back).

We need picks with so many draft failures in recent years.

Two things which he was clearly reprimanded for - career high tackles, and didn’t bake his teammates.

I’d like to think the changes will be permanent but at his age I doubt it.
Will be an interesting watch over the next 3 weeks . From some reports the coach gave him a bit of a bake so if we play him as a deep forward and he works on making 5 or so tackles and a couple of goals then I am sold for 2 years if that is the plan. No more midfield . Hard working forward. We will see.

Will be an interesting watch over the next 3 weeks . From some reports the coach gave him a bit of a bake so if we play him as a deep forward and he works on making 5 or so tackles and a couple of goals then I am sold for 2 years if that is the plan. No more midfield . Hard working forward. We will see.
I was wondering if he was one of the guys that got the bake after the saints game.
Im a bit torn on this one, im probably a little biased as I love watching Jake when he is on but to me it feels like his output has been pretty consistent when he has played predominantly forward.
Of course Sunday was his best tackle/inside 50 tackle numbers by a fair stretch, but from memory earlier in season he had good pressure act/tackle numbers too. Since they started upping his CBA numbers the forward pressure has dropped off, is that on him or the coaching team for continuing to use him in the middle when it wasnt working? Hopefully there is a bit of honest 360 feedback between both parties.

Of course we sign him again. Only 12 players have kicked more goals than him and he's probably played 30% midfield time. Every chance he'd have another 7 goals on the board and be top 5 as a pure forward this season. The expectation on him is a bit ridiculous. He's averaging 15.6 pressure acts, only forward above 191cm to do so. I don't think we set him up to succeed the way we've been throwing him around.

If it wasn't for him we'd have lost last week. Or a plenty of the games earlier in the season. Don't think we're ready yet to push him out. Otherwise we'd have had someone else take his spot by now. With Heppell and Goldy hopefully due to hang up their boots, and maybe Shiel, we need all the experience we can keep.

Mentally picturing him kicking 3 on us gives me an icky feeling too.

Nobody takes his spot, because his spot is stay at home medium forward. He can look great every few weeks when opposition allow him isolation, press high and don't flood back like Freo did. But every other week we will piss and moan about f50 entries, opposition intercept and disconnect between mids and forwards, and his form will drop and we'll call for another rocket up him. Rinse and repeat.

When he goes, everyone else gets more space to lead and shift the opposition zone. If we're serious about 4 quarter effort across 23 rounds of football, we move him on.

It’s not like you’d delist him or not offer him a contract, of course.

But if you can swap him for a decent pick, it’s something we’d seriously have to look at.

We need elite youth.
Nobody is giving us a decent pick for him though. If they were, we'd have heard about it by now.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back