AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

God what a useless sack of shit. campaigner drills a goal from outside 50 and proceeds to spray every single thing he touches like a kid with the seat down.

I think I'm just about over the once in a month performances. It's not worth the trade off in the other 3 when you move like a bag of shit and make poor decisions forward of centre.

Move on please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.
They won't do that, but if there is any player that sums us up, it's him. Best is very good, worst is pathetic and you can't turn up every week and be certain what you're getting.

Anyway.. we'll give him a 3 year deal within the next 2 weeks guaranteed.

Would be a very good player for a side with less holes to fill. If you're say a Melbourne where you have (or at least had) a strong midfield and defence but needed more scoring power he'd have been a great fit. You don't want to 'need' him to win games, but as a guy that can rip a game apart in a quarter there's few that can do what he can.

Unfortunately, right now we're needing the cake, not the icing.

This.
They won't do that, but if there is any player that sums us up, it's him. Best is very good, worst is pathetic and you can't turn up every week and be certain what you're getting.

Anyway.. we'll give him a 3 year deal within the next 2 weeks guaranteed.

I'd put him on a 1-year deal, if he doesn't like that. Let him walk.

But i agree, the gap between his best and worst is just abysmally large.

1 year deal. His best is good enough to keep around. he's 30 and we arent going to get a lot if anything for him. 1 year and if he wants out then wish him all the best

Time to get something for him while he has a bit to offer someone else . Would sooner be playing Perkins going forward.
The talk seems to be that Perkins wanted to play midfield and was given that oppurtunity all year at AFL level. He started the year ok in the role too but it obviously got to the point he was a liability and dropped. Is that experiment now over? Its been said by many probably including yourself but if the midfield attempt is to continue then he may need to play a fair bit of VFL for development purposes. If its decided that he is a half forward only (which i think he is) and he and club are on the same page with that then i agree. There's only room for 2 out of Stringer, Perkins and Langford in the starting 22 forwardline for balance purposes as of round 1 next year.

Earlier in the year I was all 'Offer him a max of two years...'

Now there's no way do we offer him 2 years. No way. He's just not worth that.
He can take a year and prove he deserves a spot, keep his hunger alive, much like Crawford did at Hawthorn.

List management needs to be ruthless from here on for mine

I don’t entirely disagree with the sentiment here, but if he’d drilled a couple of those late goals would people be saying the opposite? Seems like a thin line

I don’t entirely disagree with the sentiment here, but if he’d drilled a couple of those late goals would people be saying the opposite? Seems like a thin line
It's a very fair point, however isn't that a bit of the narrative with Jake? He's probably the biggest ''What If?'' player we have. Feel like since 2021 it's been ''What if he's not hurt" or ''What if he's fitter'' or ''What if he plays well''

It's a very fair point, however isn't that a bit of the narrative with Jake? He's probably the biggest ''What If?'' player we have. Feel like since 2021 it's been ''What if he's not hurt" or ''What if he's fitter'' or ''What if he plays well''
Realistically he’s got the runs on the board this year. He hasn’t been the solution we needed but he also hasn’t been the problem

Realistically he’s got the runs on the board this year. He hasn’t been the solution we needed but he also hasn’t been the problem

I wouldn't say he's been the problem, but at the end of the day, he's still been too inconsistent with his output to invest anything longer than a 1-year, incentivized contract, especially for a guy that is likely not in our next flag side.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back