AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

If he wants the 1 year deal, fine. But I think it’s time for Perkins and Caddy to fill the void.

Stringer isn’t winning us a premiership next year.

We need to completely revamp the forward 50 with high pressure types. Langford, Stringer, Wright, Jones and occasionally Draper just leak pressure imo.

It would be insane for Essendon to lose a 42 goal player. It compares to when Hooker retired, we had no replacement and the whole team slumped a bit. We lost games we previously would have won.

He's easily worth one year, even 2.

We need to fix the delivery from our mids.
Yeah but the point is that his output was in a contract year. Give him the comfort of 2 years and what type of output would you get?

Needs to be 1 year going forward to keep him on edge

If he wants the 1 year deal, fine. But I think it’s time for Perkins and Caddy to fill the void.

We need to completely revamp the forward 50 with high pressure types. Langford, Stringer, Wright, Jones and occasionally Draper just leak pressure imo.
Correct.

The issue isn’t whether Stringer is any good or not. He has his faults, but he can play.

The issue is our forward structure and the fact that he and Langford are basically variations on the same theme as players.

I’d be looking to trade him if there is interest.

I think it's a good move.
He has trade value right now. With his body, it’s quite likely he falls off the cliff next year.
So we are going to Mount Buffalo for a training camp 😛

I'm only giving Jakey up if swans give up one of their first rounders and I think they'll come for him if they get knocked out and not kicking enough goals is a big part of that.

Otherwise just keep him on rolling contract, 40+ goals is still an immense effort and if we had a better kicking midfield and forward structure he could've got 60+. People saying we can replace 42 goals are just being mental, did you forget the years we had Monfries leading our goalkicking with 24?

I'm only giving Jakey up if swans give up one of their first rounders and I think they'll come for him if they get knocked out and not kicking enough goals is a big part of that.

Otherwise just keep him on rolling contract, 40+ goals is still an immense effort and if we had a better kicking midfield and forward structure he could've got 60+. People saying we can replace 42 goals are just being mental, did you forget the years we had Monfries leading our goalkicking with 24?
And we will keep rolling with a forward line that has two medium blokes as its main targets.
So he kicked 42. Langford kicked 50 the year before. Wright kicked 50 the year before that.
Jake is not going to net a first round and he is very unlikely to be part of our side that becomes a top 4 contender.
Who really cares if no one player gets the 42.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talk aboit 42 goals like just anyone can pop up kick them every year...I'm no Stringer fan but here is our last 15 years prior to Stringer's 42 this year.

I'm no Stringer fan but his ability to get his hands on the footy in dangerous spots and then finish is reasonably handy I would have thought? $400 k per year is bloody cheap too. You aren't replacing his output with a second round draft pick. An incentive based contract based on performance would be the way to go, surely?

More stats for people to flippantly dismiss - IMG_2046.jpeg

Despite taking a lot of tough shots… kicked 42.25

Plus 13 goal assists… equal 4th for us.

People talk aboit 42 goals like just anyone can pop up kick them every year...I'm no Stringer fan but here is our last 15 years prior to Stringer's 42 this year.

I'm no Stringer fan but his ability to get his hands on the footy in dangerous spots and then finish is reasonably handy I would have thought? $400 k per year is bloody cheap too. You aren't replacing his output with a second round draft pick. An incentive based contract based on performance would be the way to go, surely?
2017 looks like a bit of an outlier

People keep saying he’s cheap and only on $400k. That contract was front loaded.
He was probably on more like $700k. There is no way he will play for $400k.

People keep saying he’s cheap and only on $400k. That contract was front loaded.
He was probably on more like $700k. There is no way he will play for $400k.
Plus, he signed the contract! Off the back of a year where he made the AA squad.

He’s not being short changed.

Both he and Langers fell away but they got little support from our small forwards and Langers was injured (should have not been playing IMO).

42 goals is a good effort and worth another year.

Get some speedy small forwards, 2MP back to his best and Langers fit, with Stringer's 42 goals and it looks much better.

Caddy will improve faster with Stringer in the side IMO.

Jones played like a man possessed inside 50. I thought his second efforts and tackling pressure was outstanding early in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back