AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe the Cats are in the prelim, how did they manage to replace the goals Hawkins kicked for them?
Special compensation from the AFL to add an extra 4 goals per week 👍

How many goals you need also depends on how many you let through.

Stringer is a good shot at goal, but when he isn't kicking them he becomes a defensive liability. He'll try to shrug off a tackle almost every single time and will get done for HTB or let it go. Other times he'll fail at chasing until it pings back out. This gets worse as the game progresses, in which he'll go missing/lag even more and we're essentially a man down. The season in totality plays out the same in the latter stage of the year.

He's not the cause of our overall defensive shortfalls as a team, but when you're one of if not the most sought in the F50, and we're making league-leading i50 entries and you don't capitalize most of the time then you're usually a significant source of it. Our games became perennial shootouts because they unfortunately often needed to be.

We either have to bank on Stringer having two proper seasons in a row for the first time since '18/'19, or we put someone in his place who'll at least try to keep the ball in the F50/dispose to advantage and get a pick for him while we can.

Last edited:
He lacks competitiveness, like Wright.

He shits on Wright for competitiveness. He may not be a raging bull but when he’s up and going he cracks in and throws himself at marks most wouldn’t.

He was way off in the second half of the season but it has been revealed he was hampered by a knee injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please tell me that we beat Carlton.

How many goals you need also depends on how many you let through.

Stringer is a good shot at goal, but when he isn't kicking them he becomes a defensive liability. He'll try to shrug off a tackle almost every single time and will get done for HTB or let it go. Other times he'll fail at chasing until it pings back out. This gets worse as the game progresses, in which Stringer will go missing or lag even more and we're essentially a man down. The season in totality plays out the same in the latter stage of the year.

Of course Stringer is not the cause of our overall defensive ability as a team, but when you're one of if not the most sought in the F50, and we're making league-leading i50 entries and you don't capitalize most of the time, then you're usually a significant source of it. Our games became perennial shootouts because they often unfortunately needed to be.

We either have to bank on Stringer having back2back proper seasons in a row for the first time since '18/'19, or we put someone in his place who'll at least try to keep the ball in the F50/put it to advantage and get a pick for him while we can.
This sort of post all sounds fine and logical until you factor in the reality that we if we converted shots on goal late in the season to an average or normal extent then we would have made top four and stringer would have close to 50 goals. Do we get rid of him then?

This sort of post all sounds fine and logical until you factor in the reality that we if we converted shots on goal late in the season to an average or normal extent then we would have made top four and stringer would have close to 50 goals. Do we get rid of him then?

Yeah and if I chose a 7 instead of a 4, a 12 instead of a 9 and 23 instead of a 16 then I'd be writing this post while flying on a G6, but the world doesn't run on ifs.

The simple fact is despite him being a decent player who can kick 49 to 50 goals we are not a side that is capable n the verge of winning a flag.
He goes and we play Langford and Perkins as the medium forwards.
Then maybe we also move on from that.

Yeah and if I chose a 7 instead of a 4, a 12 instead of a 9 and 23 instead of a 16 then I'd be writing this post while flying on a G6, but the world doesn't run on ifs.
I think it’s the only way to run. You look at the key indicators like contested ball, forward entries, shots on goal etc in order to know where a team needs to improve. If those indicators are strong but the uncontrollable variables skew the result then the only logical thing to do is suck it up. It’s madness to throw away a plan that yields the core data results you are looking for.

I think it’s the only way to run. You look at the key indicators like contested ball, forward entries, shots on goal etc in order to know where a team needs to improve. If those indicators are strong but the uncontrollable variables skew the result then the only logical thing to do is suck it up. It’s madness to throw away a plan that yields the core data results you are looking for.

The lottery is also an uncontrollable variable. Are you saying if I keep playing I'll definitely win the jackpot?

Didn't we spend a few seasons trying to wreck Langfords career by trying to make him this inside bull we apparently constantly need?
Yep, just bloody recruit one!

We all knew he was a natural forward. Playing players in their BEST positions is something we are not good at. We try and mould the list to fill holes that recruiting has overlooked.

Yep, just bloody recruit one!

We all knew he was a natural forward. Playing players in their BEST positions is something we are not good at. We try and mould the list to fill holes that recruiting has overlooked.
Might be a part why we destroy so many guys.

We did recruit a big bodied mid a few years back (Hibberd) but he didn't actually play as an inside bull. Dodoro just saw a big body and midfielder, and assumed that = inside bull. Then you hear Judkins go into detail why he recruited Dane Swan to Collingwood and you can see he understood what he was doing.

Might be a part why we destroy so many guys.

We did recruit a big bodied mid a few years back (Hibberd) but he didn't actually play as an inside bull. Dodoro just saw a big body and midfielder, and assumed that = inside bull. Then you hear Judkins go into detail why he recruited Dane Swan to Collingwood and you can see he understood what he was doing.
Did he? I don't really recall Hibberd playing inside midfield much in either the AFL or VFL side. He was like a big, slow winger. I thought it was mainly the fans here who saw his height and weight, and 'midfield' as his position, put 2 and 2 together and got 6 when his role was always on the outside.

Similar thing happened with that guy with the egg

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back