AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

How have Stringer (recently) and especially Laverde been dickheads? I don't believe they have been.

Individually they are fine.

The 3 of Merrett, Laverde and Stringer are ***** when together.

I cant remember if it was you who originally passed this news on but if it was is your source normally on the money?

Yep I posted the stuff about the 3 men,
4 hours later McClure released an article in regards to Merrett.

This source that works at Essendon knows most of the situation.

It's a big deal without being a big deal.

The 3 haven't done anything really serious, unfortunately they act like immature shits when together and the club just believes that it's best for everyone to break them up.

Both Stringer and Leverde have been told once the contracts end, both won't be offered new deals.

The 3 haven't done anything really serious, unfortunately they act like immature shits when together and the club just believes that it's best for everyone to break them up.

Both Stringer and Leverde have been told once the contracts end, both won't be offered new deals.
Thanks for responding really appreciate it

Yeah we really cant have that environment if we are trying to push for a serious football club again that holds players and staff accountable in an elite environment

Thanks for responding really appreciate it

Yeah we really cant have that environment if we are trying to push for a serious football club again that holds players and staff accountable in an elite environment

I'm sure I'll get smashed in here but that's the situation.

GWS and Pies offered 2 years.

He wants 3.

Stringers on field attitude in the back half of the year was abysmal. Laverde's attitude seems fine, he just sux
this is a media beat up.
Only 4 weeks from season end Stringer had 10 inside 50 tackles against freo. Name me one other essendon player that has put up those numbers all year, doesnt seem like a bloke with a bad attitude, more like a bloke who's body has let him down. And honestly I think thats on the coaching team as much as Stringer, he was used way too much in the middle even when we got Parish/Shiel/Hobbs back from injury which blunted his impact up forward.

How do Pies fans feel about the prospect of Stringer?

IMO - if you accept that there'll be some bad that will come with the good, you'll like him. When he's on, I don't know if I've ever enjoyed watching a player more. It doesn't quite happen often enough, but when it does it is 10/10 level entertaining. He gets some hate, which I can understand on some levels (especially fitness), but I reckon he's good for the sport.

If he does leave, I genuinely believe it can be a win-win.

this is a media beat up.
Only 4 weeks from season end Stringer had 10 inside 50 tackles against freo. Name me one other essendon player that has put up those numbers all year, doesnt seem like a bloke with a bad attitude, more like a bloke who's body has let him down. And honestly I think thats on the coaching team as much as Stringer, he was used way too much in the middle even when we got Parish/Shiel/Hobbs back from injury which blunted his impact up forward.

Not to speak for Petrify, but I think he might more mean his demeanour. He did a lot of pointing and yelling and if a kick was slightly off he'd crack the sads.

this is a media beat up.

Yes I'm not talking about his tackling, I'm talking about him throwing his arms up and complaining every single time someone moderately missed him. Commentators even compared him to Richo back in the day.

That, and he got pretty fat toward the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO - if you accept that there'll be some bad that will come with the good, you'll like him. When he's on, I don't know if I've ever enjoyed watching a player more. It doesn't quite happen often enough, but when it does it is 10/10 level entertaining. He gets some hate, which I can understand on some levels (especially fitness), but I reckon he's good for the sport.

I don't think it will hurt Essendon, what I have been told you guys need a culture shift.

If it's 2 years I don't see it as to much of a risk.

2 years and you know if he is fit you'll get atleast 1 good year out of him, that's all we need him for then it's probably rebuild time.

I wouldn't want to offer 3.

The dream scenario is hes fit and could rotate with DeGoey mid-forward. Would be a dangerous combo. The likely scenario is not this

this is a media beat up.
He's conditional, has been every season besides the back half of 2021. For every good game he plays 5 average to poor games.

Sounds like a lot of current Essendon players TBH, but not many of them have the same match winning ability Jake has.
I agree. He's better than a lot of our players. I'd gut the list, happy to spend years at the bottom, but that's not happening (years at the bottom might) so I'm settling for shifting our older blokes, who help us win meaningless games to avoid our true position, the bottom 4.

I agree. He's better than a lot of our players. I'd gut the list, happy to spend years at the bottom, I'd settle for shifting our older blokes who help us win meaningless games to avoid our true position, the bottom 4.
There is a list here its not great but i do see some good players here the problem is in my opinion is its the guys 27 or older except Merrett who are the guys who let us down Parish Wright McGrath Redman etc when it comes to consistency and standards at the football club they are not awful players but you never get there best work for long enough

I think we got some good young guys but i would rather be building around them

I agree. He's better than a lot of our players. I'd gut the list, happy to spend years at the bottom, I'd settle for shifting our older blokes who help us win meaningless games to avoid our true position, the bottom 4.
yeah overall agree but where I probably defer is I think I would rather we look at the guys in the next age bracket that are looking like more of the same when it comes to lack of physicality and poor onfield leadership traits.
I think with that bracket they have more trade currency and it would really indicate to me that the coaching team are done with the current culture of the club. Im being pessimistic but it feels to me like Stringer/Lav are the easier option where it doesnt cost much to move them on but optically it makes us as fans and the media think they are making a change.

yeah overall agree but where I probably defer is I think I would rather we look at the guys in the next age bracket that are looking like more of the same when it comes to lack of physicality and poor onfield leadership traits.
I think with that bracket they have more trade currency and it would really indicate to me that the coaching team are done with the current culture of the club. Im being pessimistic but it feels to me like Stringer/Lav are the easier option where it doesnt cost much to move them on but optically it makes us as fans and the media think they are making a change.
I understand what you are saying but we cant unload all these guys in one year

Stringer and Lav make sense due to there contracts coming to an end i think you will see some more senior type guys be traded/delisted next year

There is a list here its not great but i do see some good players here the problem is in my opinion is its the guys 27 or older except Merrett who are the guys who let us down Parish Wright McGrath Redman etc when it comes to consistency and standards at the football club they are not awful players but you they are not consistent enough

I think we got some good young guys but i would rather be building around them
100% agree with this and its a more succinct version of what I said directly after. Im really worried about the guys in the 25 -30 bracket like the ones you have mentioned, unfortunately most of them are on longer contracts so it would take some real balls to ask them to seek trades.
I think there has definitely been a change in the characteristics they have looked at with the recent draftees, Caddy/Hobbs/Roberts/Duz/Martin/caldwell all show some real competitiveness and/or leadership traits.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back