AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

100% agree with this and its a more succinct version of what I said directly after. Im really worried about the guys in the 25 -30 bracket like the ones you have mentioned, unfortunately most of them are on longer contracts so it would take some real balls to ask them to seek trades.
I think there has definitely been a change in the characteristics they have looked at with the recent draftees, Caddy/Hobbs/Roberts/Duz/Martin/caldwell all show some real competitiveness and/or leadership traits.
Yeah i get you i worry about the same thing

Glass half full is that McGrath is actually a good lockdown defender when his on and sticks to his man and Parish isnt the worst player on our list and i am not a massive fan of neither

The real bad one for me is Wright i think 2022 was an outliner and he really upsets the balance his archetype doesnt match his skill set if he was a good contested mark i think he could stay in the side

Why so hostile? Stringer did nothing wrong to the club.

In fact, he wanted to stay longer. The club just didn't want to extend his contract beyond next year.

I don't get any ill will or hostility towards Stringer and Laverde. They don't deserve that.

Seems about as useful as asking Tex Walker for commentary on list management.

It's going to really suck next year if Stringer fires up a team far into the finals. 42 goals..

Still, it's bemusing reading the backtracking from a few of these pies supporters are now doing from the slagging that came that way.

It's going to really suck next year if Stringer fires up a team far into the finals. 42 goals..

Still, it's bemusing reading the backtracking from a few of these pies supporters are now doing from the slagging that came that way.
If he’s going to collingwood, then he’s hardly the reason. They’re already a very good team

Why so hostile? Stringer did nothing wrong to the club.

In fact, he wanted to stay longer. The club just didn't want to extend his contract beyond next year.

I don't get any ill will or hostility towards Stringer and Laverde. They don't deserve that.
Laverde?? The audacity to think he deserves another contract extension now when he’s already contracted for next year. Who does he think he is, bloke is a park footballer

I don’t think Stringer is the problem. It’s the mix overall that’s the problem. You can’t have Langford and Stringer and Caddy and at least 1 of Wright/2nd ruck while also probably wanting to play Jones. It’s enormous, and not the way good sides play.

Stringer is far from the biggest issue there. It’s probably Wright. But if he’s the one to go, so be it. We need change up there.
I could also see a situation where he really could dominate in Collingwood’s forward line, and we have to be okay with that. Their current mix of smalls and pace far greater allows for the addition of a guy like Stringer.

It’s the mix overall that’s the problem.

This.

People keep fixating on whether Stringer himself is decent or not. We know he can play. We know he'll kick goals, some of them unbelievable.

What we don't necessarily have if we keep him, is a balanced, reliable, forward structure.

We desperately need some decent small forwards with leg speed to generate pressure at ground level in the forward-line and that can generate scoring opportunities. Stringer has (some) currency, and is at the stage of his career where it's pretty unlikely he's playing in our next Premiership side. He's the obvious guy to let go if he can find a suitable home, and he'll probably contribute well wherever it is he goes because they'll likely have a mix better suited to fit him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laverde?? The audacity to think he deserves another contract extension now when he’s already contracted for next year. Who does he think he is, bloke is a park footballer
A 28 year-old 131 game-player that missed 3 games in the last 4 seasons (88 games) asks to extend a contract at a club he's played for his whole career and supported his whole life.

Why does he deserve any hostility for that? He has suitors outside of the club and if the club declines an extension (which they have), then it's fine. There's nothing problematic about asking for an extension.

I don’t think Stringer is the problem. It’s the mix overall that’s the problem. You can’t have Langford and Stringer and Caddy and at least 1 of Wright/2nd ruck while also probably wanting to play Jones. It’s enormous, and not the way good sides play.
Yep
Too many fwds of similar profile. Same could be said of our midfield team.
It's a worry that Langford drop off this year, and Caddy not converting a few sitters. Hopefully next year we see improvements.

A 28 year-old 131 game-player that missed 3 games in the last 4 seasons (88 games) asks to extend a contract at a club he's played for his whole career and supported his whole life.

Why does he deserve any hostility for that? He has suitors outside of the club and if the club declines an extension (which they have), then it's fine. There's nothing problematic about asking for an extension.
Because he’s lucky to even be on the list, he’s a terrible footballer. Play out your contract in your contract year, if you’re deserving and play well you’ll get an extension. Laverde / management realises they have to cash in now though because he ain’t going to continue to get games if he kept up his current form and essendon will be looking past him pretty quickly

How have Stringer (recently) and especially Laverde been dickheads? I don't believe they have been.
Both act like faux tough guys. Well they probably are tough, but they both puff the chest and mouth off.

Stringer was a (redacted) while married, but yes people can change.

Yep
Too many fwds of similar profile. Same could be said of our midfield team.
It's a worry that Langford drop off this year, and Caddy not converting a few sitters. Hopefully next year we see improvements.
Looks like Langers played injured towards the end (should never happen at this level IMO unless just niggles) so hopefully has a better year.

With Stringer, on the surface $400k is unders for a 42 goal player but he is also a reason other forwards struggle. We don't have the speedy small forwards to make Langford and Stringer work and Jake's poor games kill us.

Stringer would probably do well at the Pies with Bobby Hill at his feet.

On one hand would love Stringer to have another year but we also need to move on as he ain't part of the future.

Because he’s lucky to even be on the list, he’s a terrible footballer. Play out your contract in your contract year, if you’re deserving and play well you’ll get an extension. Laverde / management realises they have to cash in now though because he ain’t going to continue to get games if he kept up his current form and essendon will be looking past him pretty quickly
So if Essendon are going to be looking past him pretty quickly, as you say, wouldn’t it therefore be in his best interests to seek opportunities elsewhere which give him longer term security?

Seems a bit ridiculous to resent a player who has given his all for the club for simply doing what is best for his career.

Don't really get what we are doing here. Collingwood have nothing of value. Moving out 42 goals for Kako points seems a bit weird. We'll probably finish low enough that future points deduction wouldn't move us a single place.

But why wouldn't he seek that as a 28 year-old? I don't get it. You're projecting your views on him as if he needs to consider himself a spud (and therefore not seek an extension) when he has played pretty much every week for 4 years now.

I don't agree with him being extended and I don't think he is a good footballer, but he doesn't deserve to be ridiculed for requesting an extension. He didn't do anything to the club.

Yeah, but he adds anotger 42 goals to the "For" column on the ladder for them. Would be a percentage boost if nothing else.
Could also see it worth while paying Stringer to be on our list next to years, playing no senior games, just so another team aren't benefited with him. EPL seem littered with those stories.

The likely draft trade return from Stringer to Pies is so piddling.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back