AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it, the more I think he’s just got to go. I was never a fan of the overweight stuff/not fit stuff. But when you look back at the way he presented himself, the comments around how he’d never run a 2km in pre-season and now teams are deterred from offering him a deal becuase of how lazy he is off the ball… you realise how far off it we are in creating a professional culture.

I mean, he’s an EXTREME example of us not having a professional culture, and it’s taken this long to hold him accountable. what about the more subtle examples of not running two ways/pressuring/doing team things… ie like a parish? Are we getting closer to holding him accountable? Have we ever tried to? Just so frustrating.

The more I think about it, the more I think he’s just got to go. I was never a fan of the overweight stuff/not fit stuff. But when you look back at the way he presented himself, the comments around how he’d never run a 2km in pre-season and now teams are deterred from offering him a deal becuase of how lazy he is off the ball… you realise how far off it we are in creating a professional culture.

I mean, he’s an EXTREME example of us not having a professional culture, and it’s taken this long to hold him accountable. what about the more subtle examples of not running two ways/pressuring/doing team things… ie like a parish? Are we getting closer to holding him accountable? Have we ever tried to? Just so frustrating.

Good points hopefully if Parish doesnt rock up next year and do the standards that are being set he is shipped off as well

I don't think it will hurt Essendon, what I have been told you guys need a culture shift.

If it's 2 years I don't see it as to much of a risk.

2 years and you know if he is fit you'll get atleast 1 good year out of him, that's all we need him for then it's probably rebuild time.

I wouldn't want to offer 3.

I think it helps us immediately just with the forward mix - we need to get with the times and implement some forward pressure. Langford, Stringer, Caddy, Draper and Wright don't fit together, especially when Gresham is the small.

Agreed - 2 years I think is fine for you guys. 3 given his age and history is too many.

Good points hopefully if Parish doesnt rock up next year and do the standards that are being set he is shipped off as well
Every thread lets go at parish
At what point in time has parish not rocked up to standard. A lot on here rag on him non stop when he is only doing what the coaches are asking of him. If he wasn't he wouldn't be getting a game. Every ****ing forum its parish fault that we are shit and we win when parish is out and lose when he's in . It gets boring to read
Do some real analysis im sure there is more than one change in personnel between our wins and losses.

At what point in time has parish not rocked up to standard. A lot on here rag on him non stop when he is only doing what the coaches are asking of him. If he wasn't he wouldn't be getting a game. Every ****ing forum its parish fault that we are shit and we win when parish is out and lose when he's in . It gets boring to read
Do some real analysis im sure there is more than one change in personnel between our wins and losses.
No need to have a go at me if you don't like my view ignore it

Rish isnt awful by any means but he would get us currency to help speed up this mini rebuild if we keep him we keep him if we ship him out we ship him out

Last edited:
Love him and expect he'll do well elsewhere but this should just be the start of the list shake -up the club needs.
Same.

I'm grateful for the joy he's brought so many of us, not so much in regards to the equal parts frustration, however if he can get two to three years elsewhere he should absolutely leave.

This club needs to get serious about what the standards it's actually setting.

What are you doing on here, Darcy? Your flight to Arizona departs in less than an hour...

For me it's not necessarily about a player's faults. I want Stringer out but not because of anything to do with him - I want us to build an elite team to have a crack at a flag at some stage.

Are we better off with him or a half-decent draft pick in a strong draft?

The latter.

It's the same with Parish. If we could get the right trade I'd definitely support trading him. In the AFL you have huge restrictions on salary and list spots. You have to work within that to produce a team that can win a flag. There's far more to it than just piling up as many quality players as possible, which is what Dodoro wanted to do.

You have to use the capital you have to make it happen. Dodoro was petrified of ever dealing out a player who might actually be half-successful elsewhere. It was only ever done when they absolutely demanded to be traded. He and the club looked at it the wrong way. It's not about collecting toys. It's not the Premier League, you don't have unlimited spots.

Of course there's some exceptions such as your leaders and important players structurally, but otherwise a team in our position (finished 15th / 11th / 11th) needs to be trading and drafting because we're demonstrably nowhere near good enough. If someone like Stringer goes and has a great year elsewhere in 2025 I don't really give a shit. If we get a player who better fits a list build in terms of age and team balance then it's a win for us. Win-win trades are very possible. As I've said before, do people think Collingwood are crying their eyes out because Treloar is now an All Aust and Grundy is pretty close to it? Maybe their tears are filling up their premiership cup.

Stinger? Shiel? Parish? Draper? Redman?

What can we get for them that would fill major holes elsewhere?

Do we want nice things or a winning team? Would we give a shit if they played great footy elsewhere, if we're closer to what we need to be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it's not necessarily about a player's faults. I want Stringer out but not because of anything to do with him - I want us to build an elite team to have a crack at a flag at some stage.

Are we better off with him or a half-decent draft pick in a strong draft?

The latter.

It's the same with Parish. If we could get the right trade I'd definitely support trading him. In the AFL you have huge restrictions on salary and list spots. You have to work within that to produce a team that can win a flag. There's far more to it than just piling up as many quality players as possible, which is what Dodoro wanted to do.

You have to use the capital you have to make it happen. Dodoro was petrified of ever dealing out a player who might actually be half-successful elsewhere. It was only ever done when they absolutely demanded to be traded. He and the club looked at it the wrong way. It's not about collecting toys. It's not the Premier League, you don't have unlimited spots.

Of course there's some exceptions such as your leaders and important players structurally, but otherwise a team in our position (finished 15th / 11th / 11th) needs to be trading and drafting because we're demonstrably nowhere near good enough. If someone like Stringer goes and has a great year elsewhere in 2025 I don't really give a shit. If we get a player who better fits a list build in terms of age and team balance then it's a win for us. Win-win trades are very possible. As I've said before, do people think Collingwood are crying their eyes out because Treloar is now an All Aust and Grundy is pretty close to it? Maybe their tears are filling up their premiership cup.

Stinger? Shiel? Parish? Draper? Redman?

What can we get for them that would fill major holes elsewhere?

Do we want nice things or a winning team? Would we give a shit if they played great footy elsewhere, if we're closer to what we need to be?
**** ME DEAD NOW I'M FIRED UP!!! TRADE EM ALL!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

AFL trade news: Jake Stringer stuck in trade limbo with interest in forward ‘modest at best’​

He’s the biggest rollercoaster in footy, and Essendon is looking to ditch the ups and downs of the last two decades. JAY CLARK has the latest on if Jake Stringer and the Bombers part ways.

Brad Scott put it on the agenda in March.
The senior coach in his pre-season sit-down said quite plainly he wanted Essendon to “ditch the rollercoaster ride of the past two decades”.

And when it comes to Jake Stringer, 30, there is arguably no bigger rollercoaster in footy.

It might sound unfair on the man himself who must feel like he takes the blame for his footy side’s problems for as long as he has kicked a Sherrin.

Essendon’s two decades of doom certainly aren’t Stringer’s fault.

But the reality is the man who can win games almost as regularly as he can go completely missing is searching for his third home.

[PLAYERCARD]Jake Stringer[/PLAYERCARD] is reportedly unhappy with only having a one-year deal. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Jake Stringer is reportedly unhappy with only having a one-year deal. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

The interest at this stage from rivals is modest at best, and Stringer still remains much more likely to stay at Essendon in 2025 than leave the club, as things stand.

While former Magpies’ president Eddie McGuire linked Stringer to Collingwood, and it is hard not to think ahead to the possible Anzac Day storyline, the Magpies are a bit surprised by the reports.

They had a cold bucket of water ready to pour on the whole Stringer proposition.

And no other clubs have come forward for him, yet.

Is Essendon better off without Jake Stringer?​

Yes - he doesn't do enough off the ball
64 %

No - he has too much X-factor
36 %
731 votes

The former Bulldog has one more year left on his deal at Tullamarine, but is currently exploring his options for a third home in the hope of a multi-year deal on upwards of $500,000 a season.

In this year’s trade period, he is the electric fence. The wet paint. List managers are looking at it, knowing the warnings, but still, it won’t hurt, will it?

Stringer booted 42 goals, one less than Jamarra Ugle-Hagan this year. Imagine him in a good side, playing closer goal, his friends are saying.

But what about when the other team has the ball? That is when the intensity drops off.

In finals, these pressure forwards and speedy goal kickers are rising above, and Essendon ranked 17th for ground balls inside forward 50m this year, according to Champion Data.

The way the game is played these days – that is a doozy of an alarm bell.

It is why coach Brad Scott is maintaining the hard line. Jake Stringer, Jayden Laverde and Dylan Shiel can all stay in red and black, on the one-year deals currently outlined in their contracts.

[PLAYERCARD]Dylan Shiel[/PLAYERCARD] could find a third home this off-season. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Dylan Shiel could find a third home this off-season. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
[PLAYERCARD]Jayden Laverde[/PLAYERCARD] is on rival clubs’ radars. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Jayden Laverde is on rival clubs’ radars. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Then a one-year deal after that and a one-year after that. Stringer’s body is a risk, and the club know it.

So that is Essendon’s position and it is not budging, and this is a club with a decent amount of salary cap space after front-ending a spate of recent contracts.

The Bombers hit-up four experienced players in last year’s trade period, but are taking a different approach this year as they hit the draft.

Caddy looks set to be given the keys to the forward 50m next year, alongside Kyle Langford, and if he can rediscover some form, spearhead Peter Wright.

It’s a big ‘if’ for ‘Two-Metre Peter’ who had a shocking year after the big bump against Sydney rattled him.

Peter Wright had a disappointing season for the Bombers. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Peter Wright had a disappointing season for the Bombers. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

The Bombers also want Archie Perkins in the team, and they’ll get the best small forward in the crop this year, Isaac Kako, as part of the academy program.

He will be ready sooner rather than later.

The Bombers weren’t a young team this year, playing on average seventh oldest and sixth most experienced side based on their 23 picked every week.

They would get younger if Zach Reid, Nick Bryan, Elijah Tsatas, Ben Hobbs and Kako (plus they have pick eight in this year‘s draft) get some more regular game time.

But to find their way in, others have to drop out.

Stringer won’t be booted out of the Bombers, but the ‘for sale’ sign is definitely up.

The question is whether there are any takers, and the answer midway through September is ‘not yet’.

Serious question, guys:

If you could have the time over again, would you still want the club to trade Jake in?
Absolutely ..two second round picks was pretty cheap

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - The lo, rumour mill spins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back