Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis - has signed a three-year extension until end of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Pfft, couldn't even push Stewy Dew off himself at that weight.
I reckon old Stewy would struggle to do a push up with the rig he's got going on there

Credit where credit's due - the recruiters taking him at 35. Where would he be in a hindsight draft? 9 or 10?
Don't reckon he'd get up that high, possibly 15-20 range?

Don't reckon he'd get up that high, possibly 15-20 range?

Yeah, but that’s only because people are still taking players like JHF or Darcy above him on potential.

On first year performance, I’d have him Top 10.

So let’s quickly look at what Paul Curtis has done this year:

1. Turned up at an AFL Club at 18yo
  2. Gotten a game.
  3. Kicked 12 goals in 14 games
  4. Performed consistently in
    • The hardest position to find consistency, in
    • The worst team
You just love to see it. Puh-lease let this not be a false dawn, because I want to see what this kid is capable of.

Kudos to Paul, and kudos to the recruiters who got him here.

He’s rated in the 5th on the player rankings for 19 year olds. It’s not the be all and end all of course.
Of course it isn’t, but he’s not scraping into the Top 10. Kind of proves what we’re thinking from the eye test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can see why he went second round and that would be due to the type he is. Nothing wrong with that FYI, it is just that we have become accustomed to horrible second round drafting.

Many a very good footballer is taken in the second rd by many clubs, just doesn't tend to be us unfortunately.

You can see why he went second round and that would be due to the type he is. Nothing wrong with that FYI, it is just that we have become accustomed to horrible second round drafting.

Many a very good footballer is taken in the second rd by many clubs, just doesn't tend to be us unfortunately.
I reckon if someone had no clue on where he was drafted they'd say he went somewhere from picks 15-25.

I reckon if someone had no clue on where he was drafted they'd say he went somewhere from picks 15-25.

Yeah I suppose if you wanted his type and you had an earlier second you'd be very happy. My point is, it is ok to expect a bloody good footballer with your second draft pick.

#22 Goater
#35 Curtis

#36 Lazzaro

#31 Comben
#34 Mahony
#35 Perez

#23 Will Walker
#34 Dec Watson
#36 Josh Williams

#31Ryan Clarke
#33 M Hibberd

#25 D Nielson
#36 EVW

#30 Trent Dumont

All of those are in the age group to still be playing footy. I will also suggest we are getting much better with our second round picks.

Yeah I suppose if you wanted his type and you had an earlier second you'd be very happy. My point is, it is ok to expect a bloody good footballer with your second draft pick.

All of those are in the age group to still be playing footy. I will also suggest we are getting much better with our second round picks.
I'm somewhat of an apologist at times given how compromised the post 2010 period was for picks, especially for clubs in our position around the middle of the ladder. I think there is an argument - with whatever weight you might care to give it - that we got in the habit of taking risks in that 2nd round (which in some years let's be honest was more a 3rd round given the compromises) because we recognised that we needed more of certain elite traits and were never going to get them with guaranteed talent using the picks we were ending up with. Each year that went on we were more and more desperate to fill the list gaps in quality around a list that was competitive. We kept recruiting to fill gaps and taking on injured players or those with a heap to prove but "potential" when arguably we should have just kept banking the best available rather than selecting for running or specific qualities we were lacking... I guess there's no way to know now whether it would have ended up better, worse or in the end mostly the same result.

#22 Goater
#35 Curtis

#36 Lazzaro

#31 Comben
#34 Mahony
#35 Perez

#23 Will Walker
#34 Dec Watson
#36 Josh Williams

#31Ryan Clarke
#33 M Hibberd

#25 D Nielson
#36 EVW

#30 Trent Dumont

surely we couldnt get worse?

Imagine if he played for a "big" club?

Curtis is a deadset gun imo and will be very dangerous as we improve as a team.

Mate who is a Richmond fan saw him play for the first time when we knocked them off and is now absolutely obsessed with PC every time we are playing.

Media: gee Archie Perkins looks good, get him a rising star nom

Also

Media: who’s Paul Curtis? Do you mean Curtis Taylor? Actually who’s Curtis Taylor?

Media: gee Archie Perkins looks good, get him a rising star nom

Also

Media: who’s Paul Curtis? Do you mean Curtis Taylor? Actually who’s Curtis Taylor?

It's big club shit. Just look at the wankfest for Nik Cox when he averaged a whopping 11.8 touches and 0.4 goals a game alongside not being threatening offensively. Just boasting about how he was tall but he didn't really use it to his advantage at all.

Same goes for Carlton's mediocre small forwards. Paul Curtis is already better than a few of them imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis - has signed a three-year extension until end of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back