Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis - has signed a three-year extension until end of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Has well and truly got the body and strength now, just needs to up the tank to go with it.

Would love it if he came out and was top 5-10 in the pre-season time trials.

He'd be an absolute animal he could cover the ground better.
He needs a foil so that he isn’t the only one chasing in the front half. Getting the Ks in the legs this off-season will make a huge difference however.

No wonder I goi nuts when folk state x and x are good, this fella was a sick campaigner , as we darn well say.

Love him to death
LT is another stake in the heart of the "Brad Scott overachieved with a shit list" argument.

You look at the 2013-16 sides now and wonder wtf we were doing.

LT is another stake in the heart of the "Brad Scott overachieved with a shit list" argument.

Harvey, Wells, Dal Santo, Higgins, Cunnington, Waite, Petrie, Ziebell, Thompson, Firitto, Brown….

Give that list to a competent coach and it wins flags.

To not get that side into the top 4 before finals and a realistic shot at a flag was criminal.

We'd built beautifully into a window of opportunity and then promptly shit the bed.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Harvey, Wells, Dal Santo, Higgins, Cunnington, Waite, Petrie, Ziebell, Thompson, Firitto, Brown….

Give that list to a competent coach and it wins flags.
Absolutely this!

With capable bit players around the edges, with Gibson, Thomas, Swallow etc.

The amount of shit I hear from campaigners about how bard overachieved with that list is the most deadshit drummed in koolaid getting around

Has well and truly got the body and strength now, just needs to up the tank to go with it.

True, but I reckon his biggest issue isn't his tank. It is above the shoulders. He struggles to concentrate for long enough, has similar brain fades multpile times and gets easily frustrated. I think if he can get over those mental issues, he could improve his output by 20% immediately

I think he'd be more likely to kick 200 goals next year than finish top 5-10 in the time trials. Not one of his strengths at all, and to this point not something he seems to have been a huge fan of working on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and well I think youse all know what I think of General B Scott.

1725264193396.png I reckon Harry Magoo as the main banana hasn't kicked 53 goals in a season. Probably one of the most underrated footballers ever is LT.

oh and I just remembered was having a chat last week, and wasn't overly invested in said chat. And it came up and I will revisit said chat when this chap returns from Paris.

Paul Curtis was saying he was NGA for Western, but nothing eventuated. oh boy wowsers. I don't recall him every being spoken about as an NGA.
His mum of course is from Tonga, same as Reid for the Eagle.

oh and I just remembered was having a chat last week, and wasn't overly invested in said chat. And it came up and I will revisit said chat when this chap returns from Paris.

Paul Curtis was saying he was NGA for Western, but nothing eventuated. oh boy wowsers. I don't recall him every being spoken about as an NGA.
His mum of course is from Tonga, same as Reid for the Eagle.
Yes he's a Melton bloke so would have been in their zone. However, I think the Bulldogs only have African/Asian/Indigenous eligibility. If that excludes Polynesia then that's a huge miss given the amount of talent out there. Goes for North too as we have a zone right next to it.

Yes he's a Melton bloke so would have been in their zone. However, I think the Bulldogs only have African/Asian/Indigenous eligibility. If that excludes Polynesia then that's a huge miss given the amount of talent out there. Goes for North too as we have a zone right next to it.

Wow AFL racial profiling, I like it lol.

Think Paul was a tad befuddled by the situation, and yes of course he's happy at North. Who wouldn't be if your name wasn't Jason Horne Fabian Francis

I was almost permanently frustrated and didn't enjoy that period as much as I should've. Largely because I knew that list had serious capability, but picked and chose when it would apply maximum effort.
Bard never addressed that, or even potentially was the cause of it through lax standards at the club.
The inconsistency led to mental fragility and that group always seemed to lack belief in it's own ability.

So many of our current problems have been bedded in since then.

I was almost permanently frustrated and didn't enjoy that period as much as I should've. Largely because I knew that list had serious capability, but picked and chose when it would apply maximum effort.
Bard never addressed that, or even potentially was the cause of it through lax standards at the club.
The inconsistency led to mental fragility and that group always seemed to lack belief in it's own ability.

So many of our current problems have been bedded in since then.
You were more perceptive than most footy fans at the time. Looking back now, we should've been in the Hawthorn/Freo/Sydney bracket. ****ing easily. Somehow I didn't think that at the time because the mental fragility had rubbed off on me. Jeez

You were more perceptive than most footy fans at the time. Looking back now, we should've been in the Hawthorn/Freo/Sydney bracket. ****ing easily. Somehow I didn't think that at the time because the mental fragility had rubbed off on me. Jeez
We proved on many occasions just how good our best footy could be over that period. But we were never able to produce it consistently, and the gap between our best and worst rivalled the Grand Canyon.

Still remember losing to a very poor Brisbane side in 2014, then ripping peak Hawthorn a new one the week after.
We were devastating when we were on, but had wild fluctuations in effort not just week to week but also within games.

It was unfortunate our peak between 2013-15, coincided with Hawthorn's. Beating that side to a flag would've been tough, but we really should've made a GF with what we had. Anything can happen if you get there.

2016 was a wide open year, but we fell over the cliff halfway through. Then have proceeded to screw up almost everything we've touched since.

Despite the talent we had, we were a hard side to trust. Because the penny never quite dropped and Bard has to take the ultimate responsibility for that.
Was easy enough to believe we weren't capable, because you just didn't know what North you'd get in any given week.

Unfortunately, I think those teams ranked about right, mostly because of the mental fragility or lack of killer instinct. Started really in 2012, when we got smashed by 90+ points away in the EF against an underwhelming Eagles. In 2013, we were easily a top 8/borderline top 4 side but shat the bed too many times and missed the finals completely. In 2014, we reloaded with Dal Santo and Waite, found form late but left it too long - get smashed by Sydney away in the PF. 2015 was a complete underachieve finishing 8th, get done by West Coast away in the PF. 2016 became a disaster, hang on to 8th before getting dismantled by Adelaide away in the EF.

I guess you can start at the top with Scott, or even JB. But that side was too experienced to play so inconsistently. I think we just lacked leaders in that side - we had elder statesmen in Harvey, Petrie, Firrito, Dal Santo, Waite, Wells, Higgins, et al that were great players but weren't leaders. Swallow was an only ok leader, ditto Ziebell. Which was unfortunate but that capped our potential.

We never finished higher than 6th after the H&A season. Peaked at a 14-8 record, which we managed twice - damningly once in the first of our finals years in 2012. We finished 8th in 2012, 15, and 16. We were eliminated every year away from home, because we couldn't play well enough in the H&A to earn home ground advantage. I think we smash the Eagles if we played them in Melbourne in 2015 and give Hawthorn a far tougher test in the GF. If we played better in 2014, we probably play the Hawks in Melbourne rather than Sydney in Sydney. You're right, we should have been the real rival to the Hawks in those mid-2010s. I remember that 2016 game where we simultaneously bullied the Hawks and shrunk mentally when the game was hottest. Ah if only... then we could have reloaded and stolen the thunder from the Tigers in the late 2010s...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #25: Paul Curtis - has signed a three-year extension until end of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back