Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst thing is we can't even go along to say farewell. Bloody Covid.

Club needs to organise round 1 next year something special.
Demand a home game round 1 and all fans to come down to see off others guys.
The lap, through the banner, everything. They deserve it.

Club needs to organise round 1 next year something special.
Demand a home game round 1 and all fans to come down to see off others guys.
The lap, through the banner, everything. They deserve it.

This.

We knew it was coming but that doesnt make it any easier. There's no way to really say thank you for what he's given the club, which was absolutely everything he had since he arrived. A finals win in front of fans was the dream finish and he deserved it the most. 33 goals in his final season means he goes out on top. Do it for Chook now boys.

"I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity the club has given me and I will leave the game at the end of the season knowing I left no stone unturned to give the club, my teammates and the fans everything I had," Hooker said.

"To have been part of something bigger than myself, something that is so important to so many people, has been such a privilege and an honour. Representing this jumper is something I will never take for granted.

"I love this football club and I just want to thank all my teammates, coaches, staff, volunteers and all the members and supporters who have been with me throughout this journey."

A truly great Essendon person. Thanks Chook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Special human, special player. Absolute pleasure to watch him play.

Iā€™m going to continue to drive this train, the clubman of the year award should be renamed for him

Outside of the amazing moments on the field (including numerous match-winning goals), I think it's also worth remember that (if I recall correctly), he was the first of the banned players to re-sign and commit to the club long-term at a time when the whole world was crying mass exodus. Make no mistake, I think that was a huge show of faith, particularly when he had a juicy contract with Freo to go home and I reckon it started a snowball effect that may have flipped a few of the other guys back with him too.

Thanks for everything Cale, heart and soul.

ā€œIt just felt right to help the club rather than be a person to leave the club.

ā€œThe reason Iā€™m going back to Essendon isnā€™t out of anger or to prove anyone wrong, itā€™s just to help the club become great again.

ā€œAnd if I have kids, if they go to the club, they can be proud of the club.ā€

ā€œIt just felt right to help the club rather than be a person to leave the club.

ā€œThe reason Iā€™m going back to Essendon isnā€™t out of anger or to prove anyone wrong, itā€™s just to help the club become great again.

ā€œAnd if I have kids, if they go to the club, they can be proud of the club.ā€

Seriously dead set Essendon legend ā¤ļø

Just a great servant of the club. One of those guys that tried to drag us a across the line and gave his all. Even this year, to have led our goal kicking for most of the year, when he was supposed to play in defence. Went out and lost some weight in last off season to give himself every chance of getting back in the seniors after being dropped at end of last year. Am sure he has been invaluable for the development of Wright and Jones that we have seen.

I wanna be your kid you big magnificent bastard.

Hooker, Hurley and Jobe, in no particular order, are the ones that I really wanted to see at least be part of something which reflected their talents and standings, etc.

Hopefully Hooker can be the spark for the finals win that has eluded us to this point. That would be the only fitting end to his career at this point in time.

He's one of the defenders of his generation who we switched forward, to be a more than capable forward, at a point in his career when he would otherwise have been able to collect enough AA jumpers that would put his status beyond doubt (I think Hooker is better than McGovern, for example, and certainly belted him the few times they played on each other).

All reports are that Hooker was a heart and soul player. He was also an excellent key position player. He walks in to any Essendon team I have seen play.

For the records, I will reiterate that if he retained the speed he had (tested 2.88 in the 20m sprint and a 7.94 in the agility test at the 2007 draft combine) without the spate of hamstring injuries he suffered between 2008 and 2011 he would arguably have been the best defender we've seen in the last 30 years. We've never really seen the quick version of the 6'5 intercept and contested marking beast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Back