Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Has played well the last 5 or 6 weeks. Deserves a call up to senior action. Infact hes played better than Stack and a number of other players who are fan favorites on this board.
Thanks mate

Has played well the last 5 or 6 weeks. Deserves a call up to senior action. Infact hes played better than Stack and a number of other players who are fan favorites on this board.
He has been good against the poor sides and average against the good sides. He was excellent yesterday. I think he just needs to keep playing regular VFL footy until he brings it against all opposition. I think he is building and we have no backup at all as inside mids so would be silly to delist. One more year won't hurt.

He has been good against the poor sides and average against the good sides. He was excellent yesterday. I think he just needs to keep playing regular VFL footy until he brings it against all opposition. I think he is building and we have no backup at all as inside mids so would be silly to delist. One more year won't hurt.

Agree, wouldn't go overboard but I think he is developing and improving. He seems to be getting more confident to. He is showing some versatility as well.

I think he is getting better with more game time and as his body is maturing which can happen with some.

He seems more upright with better balance

Question to the guys who are seeing him live at VFL - is he cooked whats going on?
He is really starting to monster smaller midfielders defensively and has got 30 plus a couple of times in the last month. He will be a beast with another pre season and begin to exert himself at AFL level in the same way we have seen him doing at VFL level the last 2 months.

Might just be shaping as the perfect pick in 2018 as there was no room in our midfield with Lambert, Caddy, Edwards, Dusty, Prestia and Cotch running through there.

Real possibility that he will be cherry ripe at the same time Cotch retires. Patience is a virtue!

Believe Vice Ganda GIF by Alaska Milk

Was strong at stoppages yesterday which is where Riley’s game is going to have to excel to make it at afl level.

Definitely has great size for a midfielder. I think with another very strong pre season he can find a spot in the midfield rotation.

Needs to find another weapon and a point of difference though. Looks a little generic with his decision making. Needs to find a bit of creativity in tight to release better runners.

There has been some obsessive s**t canning of this bloke which will be funny to see how they backflip if he continues to improve e.g. remember that dumbarse who was bagging Short every post.🤪

richoatthedisco ?

probably needs to string a few of these together before he can be considered. Can't see him getting a game at all in 2022, massive let down for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much a confidence type player. I do think we should reward his form, especially given the likelihood that he requests a trade. Give him a game as a sign of good faith and reward for him doing what was asked of him defensively.

That’s the big question. Especially if we bring in mature talent. Does he really have the patience to toil away for another year or two in the vfl? Most likely not, there’s a few teams you would expect to come knocking offering game time.

With Edwards gone, there maybe hope that he becomes that hybrid attacking midfielder that Sheds used to be around stoppages.

With Edwards gone, there maybe hope that he becomes that hybrid attacking midfielder that Sheds used to be around stoppages.
Would be an interesting role for him to play. Not sure he’s quick or sees the game well enough. Yet.

Think he’s more suited to a stoppage or centre clearance heavy based team.

Hopefully we can find a role for him or help him reach his potential

That’s the big question. Especially if we bring in mature talent. Does he really have the patience to toil away for another year or two in the vfl? Most likely not, there’s a few teams you would expect to come knocking offering game time.
I reckon every AFL aligned team has a handful of developing mids on par or better than RCD. He's really not shooting the lights out in the VFL in a manner that would raise a recruiters eyebrow. He's a more realistic chance to be delisted than poached.

I reckon every AFL aligned team has a handful of developing mids on par or better than RCD. He's really not shooting the lights out in the VFL in a manner that would raise a recruiters eyebrow. He's a more realistic chance to be delisted than poached.

The problem is: during his draft year it was well known his good games were very good however his bad was very poor. Quality players don’t dip that dramatically?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s a fair enough opinion based on what he’s produced thus far (apart from his few standout games).

Everyone gets a bit seduced by his size and potential. Myself included.

I’m holding out hope but realistic that he’s very much on the fringe.

That’s a fair enough opinion based on what he’s produced thus far (apart from his few standout games).

Everyone gets a bit seduced by his size and potential. Myself included.

I’m holding out hope but realistic that he’s very much on the fringe.
I held out hope for ages too, don't get me wrong, I'm not death riding the guy. I just can't see him carrying our midfield in the seniors.
If I was a recruiter I'd be looking at the genuine fringe players, the kids smashing it in the VFL who aren't getting an opportunity due to circumstance not the kids who couldn't get a game in a devastated midfield at one point and who look firmly on the chopping block.

He’s stand-alone VFL standard only.
Even on Sunday he still waited for an easy ball to come to him. Won’t be a player if you’re shit scared to go in and hit a contest. His Biggest other deficiency is he can’t read the play and is left looking flat footed. Our biggest risk is I can see him being poached by North Heidelberg.
He’s basically a mobile sack of potatoes and others have already passed him including Brown Banks Bauer and Colina( lol).

His game was very well rounded on the weekend, as it was a few weeks earlier. Yes it was against average midfields, but those two games might give him the confidence he needs.

Not sure any recruiters would be watching him any closer than he gets scrutinised by us lot on here, so I doubt they would be lining up.

If he wants a new start then he might get a rookie spot but he might not. I think Richmond could offer him a similar deal, at least he would know his fate. One more year with so many departures wouldn't hurt us at all.

I liked the way he moved on the weekend. So many times this year he has been flat footed around he ball but this week he really attacked it and hit contest really well. Maybe the penny is dropping. He has to finish off the season well, simple as that.

Hope he can take the next step whenever it may be.
I'd like to keep him around.
The VFL team has been decimated this year - MRJ, Cumbo, Sonsie, HRS, Ross, Juddy, Miller all getting call ups to the seniors. Also Parker and Caddy retiring has left the squad light on. Lets also not forget that the 2s have had to persevere with the likes of aarts and george simultaneously at times too.

Keeping RCD at the club provides the 2s with a bit of experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back