#26 Sam Weideman - traded to Essendon. Adieu

Remove this Banner Ad

His turnovers and kicking errors are still horrendous. Yes, he kicked 4 (1 was a cheap one over the top) but he also missed 2 simple ones that are unforgivable. And against good teams you don't get that chance again. You can't giving goods team such big momentum which happens are a bad set shot.

His turnover at the 12 minute mark of the last quarter was game changing too. He had 3 people open inside the forward 50 and he laced out an Essendon defender. Yes, he wasn't alone in this department but the moment was massive.

Right now the conversation for me is can Weids be more valuable to the side than TMAC and after tonight that comparison is back on the table. Weids performance earns him a further 2 games in the ones and I cant see TMAC staying in for those if Brown is good to go.

Nice game from Weid, but he’ll need to back it up and do a role against better defences than Essendon’s to be anywhere near a mainstay over TMac. Deserves the chance to back it up though.

Pretty sure they value Tmac a little higher at the moment, in that he can swing into defense in case there is an injury in the backline on gameday.
Once we get our regular defenders back I'm sure his spot is up for grabs.

Not sure about all the caveats about how bad Essendon’s defence are, IMO the biggest slight on Sam has been that he can’t even do the easy stuff when he gets a chance and so has been unable to build any kind of confidence. Seven shots on goal is no mean feat regardless of the quality of opposition. If he can get three or four shots against the better teams that’ll be decent progress.

Not sure about all the caveats about how bad Essendon’s defence are, IMO the biggest slight on Sam has been that he can’t even do the easy stuff when he gets a chance and so has been unable to build any kind of confidence. Seven shots on goal is no mean feat regardless of the quality of opposition. If he can get three or four shots against the better teams that’ll be decent progress.
And if he doesn’t, the question marks will remain.

Pretty sure they value Tmac a little higher at the moment, in that he can swing into defense in case there is an injury in the backline on gameday.
Once we get our regular defenders back I'm sure his spot is up for grabs.
Agree Tmac’s flexibility is a contingency asset vs. Ben Brown and Weid.

Also wonder if both Weid and Ben Brown are “I’m the main man, kick it to me” forwards, whereas Tmac is more adept at blocking and doing all those things that coaches love but don’t easily show up on the stats sheet or when you watch a game on TV. In other words, does Tmac play a role that is required that neither Weid or Brown play?

Agree Tmac’s flexibility is a contingency asset vs. Ben Brown and Weid.

Also wonder if both Weid and Ben Brown are “I’m the main man, kick it to me” forwards, whereas Tmac is more adept at blocking and doing all those things that coaches love but don’t easily show up on the stats sheet or when you watch a game on TV. In other words, does Tmac play a role that is required that neither Weid or Brown play?

Totally agree but Weids top side hasnt been reached yet and while we dont know if we can reach it. It has to be pursued after his first game of the year kicks 4 goals.

And if he doesn’t, the question marks will remain.
Hopefully he can. Confidence is key in a marking forward. He would surely be feeling better about himself after the last game. Fitness important too - he’s had a sketchy past with injuries.

I’m talking myself into confidence here obviously. I do think it was a good sign that he signed on for a further two years at a time when he couldn’t get a game. Indicates that he believes he can get there. I don’t think he would be too keen to spend the next two seasons at Casey

Hopefully he can. Confidence is key in a marking forward. He would surely be feeling better about himself after the last game. Fitness important too - he’s had a sketchy past with injuries.

I’m talking myself into confidence here obviously. I do think it was a good sign that he signed on for a further two years at a time when he couldn’t get a game. Indicates that he believes he can get there. I don’t think he would be too keen to spend the next two seasons at Casey
Could also spin in that he has no confidence to test himself somewhere else and is happy to make his 200k playing reserves.

Not much point in leaving, he would have known after GF day that he was only one injury to BBB or TMac away from playing in a flag. Not going to get that chance at many other clubs (esp in Victoria), even if they paid him more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People overcomplicate this football stuff, it's real easy, get the ball and kick it through the big sticks.
Tom did that four times in a game ONCE last year. Weid's done it every game he's played this year.

Ergo, Sam Weideman rules and Tom MacDonald sucks.

People overcomplicate this football stuff, it's real easy, get the ball and kick it through the big sticks.
Tom did that four times in a game ONCE last year. Weid's done it every game he's played this year.

Ergo, Sam Weideman rules and Tom MacDonald sucks.

Mate, can you at least spell Tom's name right if youre going to siege him. He's Oscar's brother, not Joel's.

Its starting to drive me mad, like schmuttt did with Mitch Brown(e)

Hopefully his confidence doesnt plummet again if he's dropped this week.
They have sports psychologists at the club right?

Hopefully his confidence doesnt plummet again if he's dropped this week.
They have sports psychologists at the club right?
Petracca once ran a yoga class? Can’t have been too memorable because Gus seemed to think it was mindfulness

I watched most of the game and some of those goals were impressive, but he also spilled a lot more marks (what's new) and North don't really have any KPD. Was often matched up on Hore who's a decent player but probably giving up 5-6cm - and arguably should have kicked closer to 10 with the delivery on offer. Thought Van Rooyen had a more complete game. Still good to put pressure on the seniors though.

Was barely that good at AFL level
Neither was McDonald

Kicked 8 goals in 4 games and then because of Jackson being out with covid he was forced to change roles for the game v Hawthorn and then got dropped off the back of that game

McDonald was pretty average that game too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back