Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Unacceptable from Dr Horse.

Of course they'll have scan results to determine the extent of the damage.

"We won't know much more til then"?

C'mon .....
I posted the full press conference in the media thread DQ. He goes into it a bit more there and says McInerney won't need surgery and it'll be just a brace for a few weeks, but that PCL injuries can be unpredictable so he can't say anything definitively until they get to that point and assess how it's going. Genuinely seemed like the club is in the dark for now but just hoping for the best.

I interpret it as: Good news for now, with the potential for it to be bad news, so don't get ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
I posted the full press conference in the media thread DQ. He goes into it a bit more there and says McInerney won't need surgery and it'll be just a brace for a few weeks, but that PCL injuries can be unpredictable so he can't say anything definitively until they get to that point and assess how it's going. Genuinely seemed like the club is in the dark for now but just hoping for the best.

I interpret it as: Good news for now, with the potential for it to be bad news, so don't get ahead of ourselves.
Thanks - just watched the presser.

I'm pretty sure they'd know a bit more than Horse is letting on .... with modern medical science I can't believe they're in the dark about it. But I do concede the point about unpredictability is fair enough.

I loved Horse's comment at the end about the AFL's (unreasonable) need to apportion blame every time an incident occurs involving concussion.

Thanks - just watched the presser.

I'm pretty sure they'd know a bit more than Horse is letting on .... with modern medical science I can't believe they're in the dark about it. But I do concede the point about unpredictability is fair enough.

I loved Horse's comment at the end about the AFL's (unreasonable) need to apportion blame every time an incident occurs involving concussion.
Yeah that was a ripper of a point at the end of the presser. Have said it before - suspending players for accidents will not prevent them from occurring again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is your avatar the bloke who put you down after you broke the mare's leg for the third time?

That diagnosis for JMac is really the glass half something of prognoses.
WTF are you on about? 🤷🏻

R u saying Goodes recovery period when he strained his PCL in his CHB days isn’t a good indicator?

WTF are you on about? 🤷🏻

R u saying Goodes recovery period when he strained his PCL in his CHB days isn’t a good indicator?
Too subtle I guess. I meant the dude with the gun in your photo looking an awful lot like Steve MacQueen. I just wondered if he was there coz he was required to put you down after your third ACL.

I have nothing to add to the ACL/PCL recovery debate, other than I'm delighted for JM it's not an ACL, and I hope a PCL gives him a fighting chance to be sighted again in 2024.

Nothing new in the update:

Justin sustained a posterior cruciate ligament injury on Saturday against North Melbourne. He will go into a brace for at least two weeks before his progress is reassessed.

Too subtle I guess. I meant the dude with the gun in your photo looking an awful lot like Steve MacQueen. I just wondered if he was there coz he was required to put you down after your third ACL.

I have nothing to add to the ACL/PCL recovery debate, other than I'm delighted for JM it's not an ACL, and I hope a PCL gives him a fighting chance to be sighted again in 2024.
Yes you’re right its McQuuenin his first acting job as a bounty hunter.

A ‘Mares Leg’ is a sawn off, cut down Winchester repeating (Lever action) rifle, it was the ‘gimmick’ on the show - looks cool but highly impractical in most scenarios, being neither accurate or easily stowed - a bit like me really.😆

And yes…After the 3rd which re-did the 2nd my ortho did threaten to put me down - but here I am. 😁

Causes - Footy, (Footy/Netball), Ladder

My understanding was that Goodes ruptured his PCL, not merely strained it. Both times.
Thanks Liz.

I just associate his 1st with 6 weeks, but it could have been another player.

Its not a common injury, it requires the shin to be pushed backwards from the knee capsule - which is why it usually effects ruckmen.

Last edited:
Thanks Liz.

I just associate his with 6 weeks, but it coukd have been another player.

Its not a common injury, it requires the shin to be pushed backwards from the knee capsule - which is why it usually effects ruckmen.
I don't think Goodes missed any time, did he? The second one was during the final game of the season, so I guess "weeks missed" wasn't relevant.

I don't think Goodes missed any time, did he? The second one was during the final game of the season, so I guess "weeks missed" wasn't relevant.
Certainly off season the 2nd time - I recollect him playing with a bandage after the 1st. 🤷🏻

My understanding was that Goodes ruptured his PCL, not merely strained it. Both times.

I thought he strained in 04, but did a full rupture in 12.

I still cannot understand how he played 12 with no PCL, mental effort.

(For those who don't know, a strain is still classified as a tear)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back