Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

15SyMe20IH577779022.JPG

Justin McInerney
Sydney Swans youngster Justin McInerney is lightning-quick, an endurance machine and a clean user of the footy who’s best used on a wing or at half-back. The Northern Knights product was called up for his AFL debut against Melbourne at the SCG in Round 4, 2019, and although he wouldn’t feature at the top level again in his first year at the club, he was a stand-out in the NEAFL. McInerney is eyeing more opportunities at senior level in 2020.

Justin McInerney
DOB: 18 August 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #44, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Banyule (Vic)/Marcellin College (Vic)/Northern U18

Celebratory Doctor like we have celeb chef w***ers
Little nugget - went to an ortho at Melbourne Ortho Group (Carlton, Melbourne some other team I can’t remember)

Now remember, I was asking questions for a living -

Me - ‘So why did the Physician I saw say it was a bone spur?’

Ortho - ‘He’s not an Orthopedic Surgeon’.

There’s a world of truth in that answer.

I thought he strained in 04, but did a full rupture in 12.

I still cannot understand how he played 12 with no PCL, mental effort.

(For those who don't know, a strain is still classified as a tear)
He went to CHB so he could just run forward and straight

I thought he strained in 04, but did a full rupture in 12.

I still cannot understand how he played 12 with no PCL, mental effort.

(For those who don't know, a strain is still classified as a tear)
And kicked that goal in the last QTR too..what a star!

"Can he wheel it through? HE CAN! Cometh the moment, cometh the champion"

He went to CHB so he could just run forward and straight

With a strain/ grade two tear you can only run forward or move back.

Was only reason I could still do the world cup.

Few articles are calling it a tear, but struggling to find out if it was a partial tear or complete tear (then it gets classified as a rupture).

Could be wrong though.

Also fun fact, he played out the 2012 gf with no pain killers as well, inhuman effort.

So it's essetially an extended break for Jmac until finals - then straight back into it. 8 weeks rest should be plenty
Trouble is, the knee has ‘motive’ nerves - ask anyone who’s been through one.

The knee feels like jelly, like it has a mind of its own, for weeks.

There is a distinct connection between the knee and the brain - this why ACL’s take 12 months back to full fitness.

PCL’s less, but believe me, it doesn’t come quickly, it’s like learning to walk again.

There is a distinct connection between the knee and the brain - this why ACL’s take 12 months back to full fitness.

PCL’s less, but believe me, it doesn’t come quickly, it’s like learning to walk again.
I had to learn to walk again after my MPL surgery (which failed). The knee is quite complex

Believe it or not I did my ACL 12 years ago, had surgery, and during my recovery had a couple of touchy moments where it felt like my knee gave out slightly - lone behold at some point my new ACL graft failed which im assuming happened at one of those moments. Kept playing despite that (because I felt fine) and have not missed a season since to this day and still playing without an ACL alongside my cousin who is also playing without an ACL🤣. I could not tell you the difference between having one and not having one.

Believe it or not I did my ACL 12 years ago, had surgery, and during my recovery had a couple of touchy moments where it felt like my knee gave out slightly - lone behold at some point my new ACL graft failed which im assuming happened at one of those moments. Kept playing despite that (because I felt fine) and have not missed a season since to this day and still playing without an ACL alongside my cousin who is also playing without an ACL🤣. I could not tell you the difference between having one and not having one.
My kneecap is chronically dislocated after my surgery. I felt my kneecap move sideways a day or two after the surgery and the surgeon didn’t believe me when I told him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh god. So it stayed dislocated how long?
Ever since… it’s sitting in the wrong position basically. My trochlear groove (where the kneecap normally sits) is somewhat flat which doesn’t help. But I understand what you went through.

Or is it because people stopped catching you when you crowd-surfed into them?
Nah… 🤣

I actually tore my MPL at a local show in Warrnambool. At least I have a cool story to always tell :p

I think I might have been injured for the last 15-20 years going by that definition

Some peoples knee capsules are much tighter than others, which I understand helps recovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Justin McInerney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back