AFL Player #27: Mason Redman 🐕

Remove this Banner Ad

I checked the stat sheet and was surprised that he only had the ball 15 times.

There is something eye-catching about the way he runs with the ball. I think it's the upright posture.

I suppose it is also the quality of his ball use - he's like Fantasia in that it's not just a well weighted accurate kick but its that way he draws the player downfield to the ball - it's like his kick sets up the next phase of play.

I also like that for someone who has been playing in defence for two pre-seasons that he already looks assured when being called on to defend. He found himself on Wood on a few occasions and beat him (and Wood did a lot right yesterday except for his goal kicking which was terrible).

There were also a few errors, definitely one leading to a goal, but that's the usual magnification of errors that occurs when you're in defence (which I am not concerned by at all).

Would love to see Ridley on a wing with Redman and Francis at HB... my god we are spoilt with tallet right now.

I still see this bloke as midfielder/winger. Love his aggression & ability to weave through traffic.
If he eventually moves up the ground then it helps alleviate our logjam on the halfback line.

Strikes me as more of a flanker than midfielder but he’s tracking very nicely regardless.

His great value in defence is that he can cover a variety of types - we have missed that in recent seasons. Always has a good match up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid has go 'it.' Was playing against adults when he was only 15. Will be a star for us.

I'd say it's more the fact he played reserves and seniors at Glenelg while still qualifying for u18s that held him in good stead, the same with Raz at Norwood. Many 15/16 year olds play seniors in the country SA leagues so I wouldn't read too much.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence though :thumbsu:

I still see this bloke as midfielder/winger. Love his aggression & ability to weave through traffic.
If he eventually moves up the ground then it helps alleviate our logjam on the halfback line.
Yep, while he’s probably more suited where he is (and wouldn’t want to mess with that). Buuuuut... it would be amazing if somehow this guy became a gun mid, making room for 2-3 of Ridley, Francis and Gleeson.

One of the few positives against Sydney.

Reckon he had 3 or 4 intercept marks (two contested) taken from him because of others giving free kicks away.

He was pretty good over head while playing VFL and his defence was solid if not a major feature of his game at that level. He' gone to another level in the AFL. He's not just converted eveyrthing thing he was doing, though he's clearly playing a more defensive role so he's not running with the ball as much, he's made significant improvements to his game.

He's defending like a 100 game gun.

Yep, I'd go as far as saying he's the biggest positive to emerge so far this year.

Admittedly there haven't been many of them, but he is becoming a good player very quickly.

He's real competitor, I guy that will have a crack every week, it's a pity we don't have more with this attitude.

Can't wait to watch him develop.

Definitely a big highlight of a ( so far) disappointing season. Has the attitude and spirit so many of his colleagues are not showing.
Could be a future captain. No pressure! Lol

Reminds me of a young Goddard. Hopefully in time transfers into the mifdield. Has the potential to become a genuine A grader. Tough, quick and highly skilled by foot. Got caught htb a few times last night which was frustrating but that happens when the pressure is on. Future looking bright though will be a 200+ gamer.

Massive fan of his. I want to try him through the midfield at some point but I reckon if he stays down back he could eventually reach that Vlastuin/Stewart type level as one of the best mid sized defenders that can shut down a man and rebound. It will probably take a few years but its great to see him getting a decent run with his body for a change.

Its nice to have someone that's strong overhead, is a real competitor, quick and can kick. Really stands out right now in our side.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #27: Mason Redman 🐕

Remove this Banner Ad

Back