AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

I think when Martin went back, Redman's role changed. In previous seasons he had licence to run and distribute by foot. That was when he was kicking the occasional goal from outside 50. Many of us here were positing the idea of him playing on a wing because of how good his field kicking was. With Martin back and asked to play that role, Redman was forced to focus on defending, which he looks much better at when Ridley is there to mark everything - of course he's been injured a lot and not playing with confidence when he came back.

Martin back to a wing, Ridley and Reid/Hayes in the team, + maybe Roberts? El Hawli?

Maybe the old Redders might return.

Not sure he can to be honest
Shouldve let him go to Ade when his stocks were up.
One of a few that we kept saying "once he gets a bit of a few games under his belt is going to be a star" only for them now to be in their prime years and still floating in and out of games/seasons.

then you look at a guy like Darcy Wilmot at the Lions who is 7 years his junior and he's already putting together more consistent performances, is happy to lockdown and also attack when necessary and just played a crucial role in Preliminary final.

Shouldve let him go to Ade when his stocks were up.
One of a few that we kept saying "once he gets a bit of a few games under his belt is going to be a star" only for them now to be in their prime years and still floating in and out of games/seasons.

then you look at a guy like Darcy Wilmot at the Lions who is 7 years his junior and he's already putting together more consistent performances, is happy to lockdown and also attack when necessary and just played a crucial role in Preliminary final.
That's all well and good in hindsight but a game plan of 'let's trade all our players when they start looking good because they're stocks are high' isn't going to get us anywhere

That's all well and good in hindsight but a game plan of 'let's trade all our players when they start looking good because they're stocks are high' isn't going to get us anywhere
Im not saying "trade out players when their stocks are high", im saying stop overrating our C-B grade players.
I think our list management team have had a tendency to hold on to players too long like its a personal failing if players to move.
I like Redman but I dont think he is an elite talent and I dont think he has ever shown more than glimpses of becoming an elite talent.
Its annoying to hear Tim Watson push the line this year that fans need to be patient and accept a few years down the bottom of the ladder because the list needs an overhaul. We had the opportunity to let a couple of B-grade players in Parish/Redman test the market last year when they could've netted us decent draft capital to facilitate the list rebuild. Instead we threw 6 and 5 year contracts at them.

Im not saying "trade out players when their stocks are high", im saying stop overrating our C-B grade players.
I think our list management team have had a tendency to hold on to players too long like its a personal failing if players to move.
I like Redman but I dont think he is an elite talent and I dont think he has ever shown more than glimpses of becoming an elite talent.
Its annoying to hear Tim Watson push the line this year that fans need to be patient and accept a few years down the bottom of the ladder because the list needs an overhaul. We had the opportunity to let a couple of B-grade players in Parish/Redman test the market last year when they could've netted us decent draft capital to facilitate the list rebuild. Instead we threw 6 and 5 year contracts at them.
I understand what you're saying and agree with your point generally, but I don't think it applies to Redman. He showed a lot and looked for all money like he was elevating himself to the upper echelons for his position - and has had a poor year / regressed since. IMO opinion that's very different to holding on to players that have clearly shown their ceiling and overrating them (which I agree we have certainly been guilty of for quite a while).

I'd also say that players who are clearly C-B graders and overrated by EFC aren't going to have high stocks unless the industry is also 'overrating' them, in which case it's more likely us plebs that are wrong about them being C-B graders.

Redman has looked like becoming elite when played to his strengths, which he was not this year. Brad found out a bit about both Martin and Redman; he said he was learning about the capacities of the list. Redman can be that player again. It will just depend on what Brad does with Martin IMO.

I understand what you're saying and agree with your point generally, but I don't think it applies to Redman. He showed a lot and looked for all money like he was elevating himself to the upper echelons for his position - and has had a poor year / regressed since. IMO opinion that's very different to holding on to players that have clearly shown their ceiling and overrating them (which I agree we have certainly been guilty of for quite a while).

I'd also say that players who are clearly C-B graders and overrated by EFC aren't going to have high stocks unless the industry is also 'overrating' them, in which case it's more likely us plebs that are wrong about them being C-B graders.
yeah fair re your first point, difference of opinions and all that :)
re 2nd point, I dont know if thats always the case. Sometimes other teams are also desparate to bring in senior players and overpay. (eg. Rutogalea going to port for a 2nd rounder plus steak knives).

Actually I need to correct myself as just remembered Parish/Redman were both free agents so we wouldnt have got anything from them leaving because we brought in Gresh (another example of teams overpaying to attract senior players) and McKay. But it still doesnt explain why we gave such long contracts.

yeah fair re your first point, difference of opinions and all that :)
re 2nd point, I dont know if thats always the case. Sometimes other teams are also desparate to bring in senior players and overpay. (eg. Rutogalea going to port for a 2nd rounder plus steak knives).

Actually I need to correct myself as just remembered Parish/Redman were both free agents so we wouldnt have got anything from them leaving because we brought in Gresh (another example of teams overpaying to attract senior players) and McKay. But it still doesnt explain why we gave such long contracts.
Because we are Essendon and the players love dodo.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #27: Mason Redman šŸ•

Remove this Banner Ad

Back