Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

We potentially lose Prestia, Graham. Baker out of the midfield rotations. Kmac2 is still a bit green & Sonsie hasn't secured his spot in the 22.

Whoever we draft will be a question mark. Ross can't get on the park.

Dow is perfect moneyball depth. Typical RFC role player that will have Zero interest elsewhere. 22 years old and a RCD body type that will mature at 25.

3 or 4 small forwards will be delisted before Dow.
Dow should be moved to the rookie list for next year

Why would you keep a player on your list if he has zero interest elsewhere? Doesn’t that tell you something? Two kids playing for Preston and Coburg would offer more than this bloke.
I think he's an average player. I also think there's worse on the list that will go around again. Selectors gave him 14 games. They rate him.

It might depend on how many of Martin, Prestia, Baker & Graham stay. Even still, Dow is known depth.

Q How players we taking in the draft? We bringing FAing any players IN?

A 10...but wait and see pick trading.

Naismith, Grimes, Green, Combo, Coulthard out first I reckon

Last edited:
I think he's an average player. I also think there's worse on the list that will go around again. Selectors gave him 14 games. They rate him.

It might depend on how many of Martin, Prestia, Baker & Graham stay. Even still, Dow is known depth.

Colina and Pickett should be added to that list as well.

With the write-ups about Green and Dow in the off season it is disappointing to see no real progression.

Only way I can see Dow really improving to a player that could make 120 odd games would be to take the same pill or angry course that Cotchin took over the 2017 preseason. Attack the ball at all cost mentality is his hail mary.

I think they gave him games bc we had a depleted midfield and now there mostly back he’s back in the VFL. We can’t have a player like this on our list as it’s just heart breaking

We potentially lose Prestia, Graham. Baker out of the midfield rotations. Kmac2 is still a bit green & Sonsie hasn't secured his spot in the 22.

Whoever we draft will be a question mark. Ross can't get on the park.

Dow is perfect moneyball depth. Typical RFC role player that will have Zero interest elsewhere. 22 years old and a RCD body type that will mature at 25.

3 or 4 small forwards will be delisted before Dow.

Quite probably.

Being within a well coached midfield group for years has benefits in and of itself.

By the time he played in finals with us, Grigg had gone from a journeyman, almost entirely outside, barely rated AFL standard player (we swapped him for Andy Collins! :)), to a bloke genuinely winning crucial inside ball in finals as part of the 2nd and 3rd rotations in a champion side.

The hope is that from over a dozen Dow's you eventually end up with a solid core of smart, seasoned vets like Grigga/Lambo/Caddy to compliment a handful of guns once you're ready to push for the ultimate prize.

we forget there needs to be 38-42 players on the list...
He might not be in the top 23 that should get a game every week, but I think he is more than handy, given the turnover our list needs and will get, that he gets at least 1 more year, even if it is as only depth

reckon he's gone. rather keep prestia and play ross or mc2
I've come round to this.

Early in the season I was quite hopeful that he would build on his late season '23, where his games against St.Kilda and Port were very good. So I have been sitting on the fence for a while thinking he could recapture that. But this far into the season he hasn't. He has improved some aspects of his game like his ability to pick a ball up in traffic, but that is about it. He has not developed at all, and even at the VFL level, he just doesn't have the strength or pace to break free. Smith in one quarter in the midfield looked far more exciting and damaging than Dow ever has.

We are going to draft a few very good mids, MacAuliffe is building, there are a few other possibilities such as Campbell and perhaps Smith. Injuries/depth may save him, but he does not look up to it. I thought preseason he had to put on 3kg's to make a difference, which he hasn't, so I think they had a good look and the VFL will be where he stays.

we forget there needs to be 38-42 players on the list...
He might not be in the top 23 that should get a game every week, but I think he is more than handy, given the turnover our list needs and will get, that he gets at least 1 more year, even if it is as only depth
Perhaps, but why really. Unless we get injuries like this year he won't be near the best 23. And you can't really go into a season carrying players for depth when they have been found wanting. He had a good crack.

I'm confident all our first year mids will all be upgrades on him from day one....like even any later picks...hell there's about 6 on our VFL list right now that would easily be better - and I wouldn't even rookie most of of them.... :$

Perhaps, but why really. Unless we get injuries like this year he won't be near the best 23. And you can't really go into a season carrying players for depth when they have been found wanting. He had a good crack.
Well every list has a player that is the 38th best player on the list.

A lot will come down to, who leaves/retires, whos a definite delisting, who we want in the draft, how many picks we have and what sort of player we want/get with those picks.

if our turnover is huge, I can see th value in giving him another year, but, depending on who we recruit, I could also see a list that he's not on.

I don't think it is as black and white as most people want to believe.

Colina and Pickett should be added to that list as well.

With the write-ups about Green and Dow in the off season it is disappointing to see no real progression.

Only way I can see Dow really improving to a player that could make 120 odd games would be to take the same pill or angry course that Cotchin took over the 2017 preseason. Attack the ball at all cost mentality is his hail mary.
When talking about Noodles Dow, keep Trent Cotchin’s name out of your goddam mouth.
Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m expecting Dow to be on the list next year irrespective of how he performs for the remainder of the season. If that is the case I will be really disappointed.

It should be black and white - either dominate in the VFL and earn you spot back at AFL level and show improvement OR pack your bags.

Dow has had 5 years on an AFL list and 14 games in his primary position this year. It’s extremely rare that a midfielder in Dows position gets better especially with his lack of physical attributes.

To put into perspective both Corey Ellis and RCD only got 4 years on our list, and neither got a long run of games in our midfield. Despite that we all knew they weren’t going to make it so we didn’t need to hang onto them for another year to find out. The same needs to happen here, either Dow impresses us in the last few weeks of the year or he’s gone.

I’m expecting Dow to be on the list next year irrespective of how he performs for the remainder of the season. If that is the case I will be really disappointed.

It should be black and white - either dominate in the VFL and earn you spot back at AFL level and show improvement OR pack your bags.

Dow has had 5 years on an AFL list and 14 games in his primary position this year. It’s extremely rare that a midfielder in Dows position gets better especially with his lack of physical attributes.

To put into perspective both Corey Ellis and RCD only got 4 years on our list, and neither got a long run of games in our midfield. Despite that we all knew they weren’t going to make it so we didn’t need to hang onto them for another year to find out. The same needs to happen here, either Dow impresses us in the last few weeks of the year or he’s gone.
The issue for Dow is that he hasn't had a "moment". Neither a game nor a quarter nor a 10 minute patch in a quarter where you could look at his performance and say "Yeah, there is something to work with here".

His competition in Ross did it in his first game. Played a blinder in a injury decimated side and showed he had something.

Good to hear he's back in the side. I'm not sure about his current form, but I reckon he has showed enough over the journey so far. Looking forward to seeing how he responds.
he's on the extended bench.
hasn't made the side yet.

[34] Jack Graham,[38] Noah Cumberland,[48] Steely Green,[41] Sam Banks,[15] Jayden Short,[51] Jacob Blight,[36] James Trezise,[27] Thomson Dow

my guess at the final bench
[34] Jack Graham,[48] Steely Green,[41] Sam Banks,[15] Jayden Short,[51] Jacob Blight or Tresize..... they might give Green a chance to play for his career.

Last edited:
I think they gave him games bc we had a depleted midfield and now there mostly back he’s back in the VFL. We can’t have a player like this on our list as it’s just heart breaking
He got a game ground zero along with Prestia, Hopper & Tarannto. Ross Sub & Bolton fwd. Wasn't dropped at all. Contract AND supporter triggering stuff.

Like JGTI last year.

Last edited:
Good to hear he's back in the side. I'm not sure about his current form, but I reckon he has showed enough over the journey so far. Looking forward to seeing how he responds.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
He's where he belongs. Would be nice to see a 5th year 1st round selection actually dominate in the lower level. Spud local top up players who work full time jobs like Lachie Wilson and Matt Clarkson are performing better than limp noodle arms. Realistically if Dow was any good he should be getting 45 touches, 15 clearances and 5 goals.... wait you need to kick over a jam tin to kick an actual goal.... maybe he can handball it through the big sticks like in Gaelic foosball.

Last edited:
Cannot wait for him to be delisted.

Where were those posters that said he will be better when he’s surrounded by tarranto, hopper and Prestia?

This isn’t how if you surround yourself with good looking people you become better looking, you standout like dogshit!

And that’s what Dow is, dogshit.

Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back