Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Was part of his role a negating one last night? It looked like he was gluing himself to his opponent at stoppages, rather than trying to get separation and attack the ball. Definitely lacking confidence - some nice in and under gets with handball release, but it was the execution of the handball that was ineffective - could have created more by taking bigger risks.
He can't kick though, and when he tries it gets turned over. No penetrstion at all in his kicks, just lolly pops up and down.

I don't question his work rate and I think for his size he's quite gutsy but we have to read the tea leaves unfortunately.

He can't kick though, and when he tries it gets turned over. No penetrstion at all in his kicks, just lolly pops up and down.

I don't question his work rate and I think for his size he's quite gutsy but we have to read the tea leaves unfortunately.
Yep, agree, kicking is not a strength. but was part of his role a negating one last night? If it was (and it did look like it to me), then I think it was an okay (average) game. Has he ever been tried on the wing?

Going to get absolutely potted for this no doubt on the basis of Dow being the new whipping boy and still don’t think he makes it, but didn’t think he was too horrendous last night.

Some seem to think that two week in the VFL means he should come back with elite disposal.

In a team that got smashed in contested ball, to have 50% of his possessions contested isn’t something to gloss over.

Likely comes out next week with returnees coming back from injury but nothing has changed my view that in our current position another 12 months on the list to see if he can continue to improve would not be unwarranted.

Yep, agree, kicking is not a strength. but was part of his role a negating one last night? If it was (and it did look like it to me), then I think it was an okay (average) game. Has he ever been tried on the wing?
Maybe I wouldn't have thought it was negating noting we lost Taranto but maybe.... Best to try something different

Talk about over reaction to Dow's game. Generally when he got it, it went to us and was quite constructive in close. That's it in regard to the positives, the negatives are that he can't spread and add anything other than in tight handball.

He was not horrible at all, but he is limited in that he doesn't have a kick of pace or running power. That will be enough to see him out, he has not improved at all this year. The vindictiveness towards him it unnecessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk about over reaction to Dow's game. Generally when he got it, it went to us and was quite constructive in close. That's it in regard to the positives, the negatives are that he can't spread and add anything other than in tight handball.

He was not horrible at all, but he is limited in that he doesn't have a kick of pace or running power. That will be enough to see him out, he has not improved at all this year. The vindictiveness towards him it unnecessary.

This is likely closest to the truth I have read on here.
He is not useless, but bland and hasn't improved and his repertoire is extremely limited.
His work in-tight is actually good.
It is what it is.

This is likely closest to the truth I have read on here.
He is not useless, but bland and hasn't improved and his repertoire is extremely limited.
His work in-tight is actually good.
It is what it is.
Exactly. I’ll admit his stoppage work is fairly decent but that’s where it starts and ends for Dow and in the modern game it just isn’t enough. He hasn’t been able to add anything else to his game which as you said has left him very limited.

I don’t care what anyone says. A player who can get 9 touches with 5 contested in a quarter of footy is worth persevering with. You can talk about metres gained and impact and anything you like … but getting the actual pill is more important than anything else, and he can do that so I hope he gets one more year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back