Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he's one of those players that you play just so that he can find his feet. A bit like Melksham who only started playing good consistent football from mid last year. Whether or not we can afford to play him is another question........

I reckon he's one of those players that you play just so that he can find his feet. A bit like Melksham who only started playing good consistent football from mid last year. Whether or not we can afford to play him is another question........

It's probably true and gets back to the reference to the 'good ol' days which had been made previously.

Melksham got games because our midfield depth was appalling and he brought something quite different to the table. Think that he's been ok to solid as an AFL player but that, for his own good, there were times he would have been better served being dropped to the VFL a few weeks here and there just to get his hands on the ball 30+ times but we have not had the depth to justify that sort of thing until now.

Kav, on on the other hand, hasn't been gifted games because three years after Melksham was drafted (allowing for the fact the Kav's year one was always a write off) he's a long term project midfield accumulator in a side with serious midfield depth especially of inside accumulator types.

He's going to have to bide his time and genuinely earn a spot as youngsters used to have to do (both at Essendon and AFL wide). It's not a bad thing and with his contract being extended by 2 years late last year to give him three years to earn his spot we can assume that the club is happy with his development.

I think it is a great sign that a guy like EKav can't 'force' his way into the side.. shows the huge depth we have in the list with real competition for spots. Look at players at Geelong and Hawthorn.. they often have to wait for 4+ years before getting a real shot at it..

Much better than the days when guys like Quinn were getting games..

I think it is a great sign that a guy like EKav can't 'force' his way into the side.. shows the huge depth we have in the list with real competition for spots. Look at players at Geelong and Hawthorn.. they often have to wait for 4+ years before getting a real shot at it..

That's the paradox.

On the one hand there have been several guys that have become excellent footballers through being 'gifted' games early in there careers (Jobe and Melksham just looking at essendon examples), but their sides never had any success while it was happening.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all, it just requires patience from eager fans, and Elliott

Absolutely see the point Jack Package.. and you have to wonder where EKav would be had he been given the games Melky has.. but ultimately if he is good enough then he will push himself into the team.. and then fight hard to stay there.

I love the fact that every single player knows that they need to give 100% to stay in the team...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahah mate you made me laugh...I remember like its yesterday when Quinn would get games, miss his foot with the ball, etc but was best on in every second vfl game

Correct, in 2010...nonetheless was easily the most out of place player I've ever seen in afl

Woah, let's not go overboard.

BootsmaInjuryArticle_620X370.jpg

I wonder whether Kavanagh will make it as an AFL player. I suspect that O'Brien either needs to tag or be a mobile hard working half forward. I'll be interested in the VFL reports in 2014.

I wonder whether Kavanagh will make it as an AFL player. I suspect that O'Brien either needs to tag or be a mobile hard working half forward. I'll be interested in the VFL reports in 2014.

Have argued vehemently that O'Brien in particular is not being given every chance to become an AFL quality player due to his differing roles at the two levels (big bodied onballer at VFL level > half forward at AFL level).

Ive seen bits and pieces of brilliance from kav, like really quick hands/quick decision making/good foot skills, but only glimpses so far. I am confident he's got what it takes, just feel like he needs some regular games in the seniors to find his feet. Its my opinion that kav has a much better skills than NOB, and yes different role players but i think kav has a much higher ceiling than NOB

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back