Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

It stings more when you see a player like Ballard down the other end cutting us to pieces.

We haven't had a decent lockdown defender since makepeace. Pratt was good for a couple of seasons. Marley could at least shut down a player (just don't give him the ball). Hine...moving on (but still probably better than Turner).

Turner was a terrible forward pocket that averaged less than a goal a game and just ran around like a headless chook. Somehow he's gotten even worse down back.

I'm still scratching my head over the leadership thing. Probably the most mind boggling decision I've ever seen in my life. Up there with Prince Harry leaving the royal family for a dime a dozen B grade actress.
No love for Scotty McMahon? That guy could back-pocket.

Yes, also why Archer has been getting named on the emergencies, the cupboard is bare.

Just on Archer, he could probably cover Turner’s 2-3 touches per game if he was to get an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The cupboard isn't bare.

Goater is one of the most naturally talented 18 year olds in the league and has he even been emergency yet as far as I can remember?

I saw enough of him in pre-season to know that he is right up there with the best we've got, his tank is certainly an issue, but how he hasn't at least been a sub, given the amount of roles he can play is absolutely baffling.

As soon as I saw Archer at training, he screamed local footballer to me. Athletically, absolutely miles off the standard required. His VFL performances back that up. The fact he has been an emg so many times is deeply ****ing concerning in all honesty.

When you factor in how much TT has gone backwards after the injury, Simpkin turning into Brock McLean, the JHF smoke, Comben non-selection, Powell out of position, Sleevo turning into Polec 2.0 after looking like we had pulled Collingwoods pants down at the start of last year etc.

Something is seriously seriously wrong down there at the minute.

Last edited:

I can understand having a crack at Turner who manages to somehow get a game every week, but pretty weak having a go at a 18 year old kid who hasn't played a senior game.
The simple fact is he isn’t up to it.

Watch VFL games and it’s clear as day.

It’s a sad state of affairs that as a club we are listing a player as an emergency that is clearly not ready.

You might call it having a go, I call it being a realist.

There are big question marks over if he should even be on the list? Let’s be honest without the Archer surname, he is most likely not on an AFL list.

I honestly thought there was some hope for him after he settled in defence last season and he blanketed a number of half decent small forwards. Thought in an improving team he could be a poor man's nick smith for us but we're 113 games in and seeing the same old skill errors, no longer racking tackle numbers and he's getting routinely rinsed by his direct opponent. I think we've seen enough, can't pick him again based on this week it just sets such a poor precedence, steevo got dropped for way less.

He’s a lockdown small defender or nothing at all
He doesn’t deserve another game at AFL level based on performance.

If you are going to drop Stevo and make him earn his spot, then Kayne can do the same thing.

It’s disgusting that a so called leader of the club had 3 possessions and 0 tackles when fully fit and spending 85% of TOG.

He doesn’t deserve another game at AFL level based on performance.

If you are going to drop Stevo and make him earn his spot, then Kayne can do the same thing.

It’s disgusting that a so called leader of the club had 3 possessions and 0 tackles when fully fit and spending 85% of TOG.
To be fair to him he was playing out of position in a role that he hadn’t been playing all year

But agree he should have still found a way to impact more

He hasn’t even been going great as a small defender. Thanks for your service Kayne but it’s time to part ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is just a nothing player - should have been dropped a long time and if he isn't dropped this week I am going to be seething. STANDARDS need to be set and this bloke getting a game week after week - shows we have zero standards for performance.

I always thought that a lockdown player always has a hand or foot in contact with their opponent. Kayne, and for that matter Atu, just seem to run beside or hover around their opponents. Need more body contact.
Geez I wish Benny Jacobs was able to keep playing. Remember when he was so good at locking down players there was talk of him being All Australian. What about the day he made Cotchin invisible!

I always thought that a lockdown player always has a hand or foot in contact with their opponent. Kayne, and for that matter Atu, just seem to run beside or hover around their opponents. Need more body contact.
Geez I wish Benny Jacobs was able to keep playing. Remember when he was so good at locking down players there was talk of him being All Australian. What about the day he made Cotchin invisible!
#helpfindtrent

The cupboard isn't bare.

Goater is one of the most naturally talented 18 year olds in the league and has he even been emergency yet as far as I can remember?

I saw enough of him in pre-season to know that he is right up there with the best we've got, his tank is certainly an issue, but how he hasn't at least been a sub, given the amount of roles he can play is absolutely baffling.
I'm extremely excited by the prospect of Goater playing but I can absolutely see the logic in letting him get to AFL fitness/conditioning level before bringing him into the current rabble.

I'm extremely excited by the prospect of Goater playing but I can absolutely see the logic in letting him get to AFL fitness/conditioning level before bringing him into the current rabble.

I think you are giving them too much credit blackshadow.

I saw Archer spewing his guts up at the back of every running pack in pre-season.

So it can't be purely tank related.....

Noble with his sharp football eye has spotted something he likes in Turner, now he is just going to keep playing and "developing " him. Good times!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

Back