Past #29: Brent Harvey - drafted w/ #47 in '95 ND - 432 games/518 goals for NM - AFL games record holder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinboners said:
Bookmark July 2005 for when the Carlton fans start posting their "Harvey is unhappy, he'll join Carlton" rumours again.
do they still have whitnall, he can play as a small forward:D

milnedog44 said:
In future don't refer to Brent Harvey as Harvey, when there is a better harvey going around and i dont mean shane.

Yes I believe people are given surnames on the basis of who is better than who these days....stupid of anyone to refer to Brent Harvey as "Harvey", must see to it that its change.

Smart breed down there at St.Kilda.

Go Rooboys.

milnedog44 said:
In future don't refer to Brent Harvey as Harvey, when there is a better harvey going around and i dont mean shane.

I heard that Harvey wanted to go a month or so ago, i am almost certain as well that Dennis Pagan is once again going after a player from his former club. Teague, Digby, i think he might go for David King as well.
He loves tough, corougous players

You're kind of corougous yourself, coming on here with these comments. From now on, just for you, I shall call Brent Harvey "Goddard" as there is no-one better running around with that surname at the moment.

If I ever wander over to the Saints board I will try hard to remember that when people mention the name Harvey they are probably talking about the one that plays for THEIR team.

Hearts to hearts,

It's best just to ignore posters like milnedog44. Just take a look at the user's registration date....September 2004......just another bandwagoning Aints fan who suddenly rediscovered their love of footy in time for the finals. When the Aints crash and burn, they'll disappear back into the woodwork.

yes its been strange on the main board that all saint bagging posts get closed or dissapear whats happening there shinboners

Thought it was interesting that clown who barracks for the saints referred to twice chocolate bownlow as a good footballer!!!!

Have loved watching his short useless kicks which put his team mates under alot of pressure. A very selfish person and should have done the best thing by his tem mates and retired. Never would make my best 22 just an ordinary footballer who got lucky!!!!!!

Its only an umpires medal!!!!

The Urch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Urch said:
Thought it was interesting that clown who barracks for the saints referred to twice chocolate bownlow as a good footballer!!!!

Have loved watching his short useless kicks which put his team mates under alot of pressure. A very selfish person and should have done the best thing by his tem mates and retired. Never would make my best 22 just an ordinary footballer who got lucky!!!!!!

Its only an umpires medal!!!!

The Urch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. Rob Harvey gets 30+ touches a game and I reckon 5 of them actually go forwards. I call him "The Crab" as he's always going sideways.

Just proves how ridiculous the Brownlow is when I think that this bloke has won 2 and Carey none.

When I watch Robert Harvey I remember the day that he racked up 35 odd possies against a Malcolm Blight coached team. (Blight's team won). Reporters ask Blighty why he had not put a tagger on Harvey and Blighty (in is honest way said "well we knew he was getting a lot of possessions but didn't think he was sending the ball forward very much" :)

There must be something about the name "Harvey" that gets Carlton fans all gooey eyed and lost in daydreams. Thinking of the Brent Harvey to Carlton stories has reminded me of the mid 90s when countless Carlton friends would tell me that they knew someone who had inside information saying that Robert Harvey would be joining the Blues - it was an annual story that never came to fruition. It was never any other player, just Robert Harvey.

Brent Harvey's comeback year
23 January 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
By JON RALPH

A SEASON that was sliding into mediocrity for Brent Harvey had officially become ordinary when the wild rumours started surfacing mid-season.

The vice-captain was supposed to be dirty on his coach Dean Laidley. Or hiding a serious injury. And perhaps even upset at his use as a small forward and lack of time in the midfield.

As the Kangaroos slipped from finals calculations, Harvey, too, was on the nose -- at first unable to replicate years of industrious and damaging football, then later hampered by a niggling ankle injury that compounded the problem.

But while the conspiracy theorists might have had a field day, Harvey says the truth was much more straightforward, if a little more mundane.

That early-season form slump meant he was nudged forward as a goalkicker, and when his lack of touch combined with the injury, it resulted in his worst year since 1998.

Simple as that.

It added up to an immensely frustrating year for the newly appointed vice-captain, but he is determined to learn from the experience and emerge as a better player.

"It is funny when you hear (those stories)," he said this week. "People in the media were saying me and Dean had had a fallout, but Dean is a fantastic coach and I think he's heading us in the right direction.

"Supporters were saying, 'What is wrong, are you injured and trying to play it down a bit?'

"Coming off 2003 and having a fairly decent year, to get 12 or 14 possessions a game and not really be doing much for the team and sitting 40 per cent on the bench was really frustrating, but 2005 will be a lot better year for Brent Harvey, I can tell you right now."

Harvey says he made several crucial mistakes last year and these have swiftly been eradicated from his game. The worst, he says, was his failure to lead from the front when his form was at its lowest ebb.

It won't be the last time a new leader struggles with the responsibilities of juggling demanding roles.

"It was disappointing. I didn't get off to a great start and then I had a niggling injury in Round 13, but saying that, I wasn't playing good footy beforehand anyway.

"It was very frustrating. I went back into my shell and I wasn't the confident player I was in 2003.

"Even my leadership (was disappointing). I was made vice-captain of the club last year and once I wasn't playing (good) footy, I fell back into just trying to get a kick when I shouldn't have.

"Even this year I have worked over the pre-season to become a better leader, and Adam Simpson is the perfect role model.

"It's something Dean spoke about, it doesn't matter how I am going, if I am not playing well I have still got to put the team first.

"It is something I have been working on, making sure I get around to as many guys as I can, offering them my assistance."

The downturn in output and impact last season was all the more noticeable because the man known as "Boomer" has scarcely, if ever, disappointed for lengthy periods since his 1996 debut.

In the previous five years he had averaged 462 disposals and 26.8 goals a season. In 2004 he amassed only 335 touches to go with his 30 goals pushing forward.

"I was mentally frustrated last year," he said.

"I was coming to training and couldn't train on the Monday (due to the injury) and to tell you the truth I wasn't enjoying it as much as I should have been.

"This pre-season my body feels the best it has been. It's a cliche, but I am as fit as I have ever been and I am really enjoying training and having a lot of fun and want to have a crack at playing decent footy."

Just as he has banished the excuses, so has coach Dean Laidley.

"Dean actually touched on it this morning," Harvey says.

"We need the younger guys to step up now. We have got some fantastic talent but it's just getting it out of the guys now. I don't think Dean cares too much for 2006, it's 2005.

"If they can step up and take the workload off Glenn Archer and Leigh Colbert, we are going to be a lot better team.

"I came here in 1996 and I was lucky enough to play in a premiership in 1999, and I have played in a hell of a lot of finals and I am a very very jealous person when I am sitting at home in September watching players run around."

That frustration meant he swapped viewing AFL finals for watching friends in the Diamond Valley league as Port Adelaide surged to last year's premiership.

Though the Kangaroos did not take part in the Grand Final, they learned a lesson from the game.

The Kangaroos defeated Port Adelaide in Melbourne last year and also trumped four other finalists, but often slipped against lowly ranked teams.

"On Grand Final day I was sitting there saying, 'We beat this mob by 92 points'," Harvey said.

"They had a lot of injuries that game and it's a different ball game every week, but we are a very competitive team and our mindset is strong when we play against good teams.

"It's not so strong when we play against the bottom four teams."

As for his relationship with coach Laidley, Harvey could not be more enthusiastic in his endorsement of the third-year coach.

"I think he is a fantastic coach and I hope he can be here for, well I don't want to put a figure on it, but hopefully for the next 10 years because he has got all these young guys that he has drafted and they are going to be exceptional players.

"His ideas are all headed in the right direction now."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to hear him admit to his mistakes, and also that Laids has addressed them. Expecting a pretty big year from Boomer. Get him back in the midfield in form with Harro, Wellsy and Simmo and that is pretty dynamic.

Now for his brother........

dus said:
Expecting a pretty big year from Boomer. Get him back in the midfield in form with Harro, Wellsy and Simmo and that is pretty dynamic.

Now for his brother........

There is lots to like about our running midfield...include Junior in that list and perhaps Turtle and I'm sure some teams will notice the difference when we get going. Dynamic indeed. As for Boomers lil' bro...he remains on the outside looking in... if he can get a game and STEP UP then that's a bonus otherwise it's his loss. I'd rather Eddie Sansbury ready to go if Sharvey can't be bothered.

Despite what many supporters think of Dean Laidley's demeanour and the negative way he comes across in after-match press conferences at times, it appears that the players are very supportive of him. In many interviews with players, they generally always make some sort of favourable comments about Laidley as a coach, which is good to see. :)

What do you expect GoNorth - do you really think a player would bag his coach in the media? Of course they will always say nice things - I just hope it is correct.

Lets face it - Boomer needs a big year. Last year can be forgotten because the chat around the club was his injury really affected him.

Boomer at his best is a big plus for the kangas - lets hope he can produce this year.

though their does seem to be a difference between the typically politically correct "coach is headed in the right direction" etc etc and endorsing him for 10 years.

At the very least he definately has boomer on his side.

Its also good to hear that last year was a form slump and an ankle injury - much better than OP that he "is managing well" and "should be ready for round 1".

Poor old Couglan from Richmond has had the kiss of death on him with all the write ups about how well they are managing his OP.

gokangas said:
What do you expect GoNorth - do you really think a player would bag his coach in the media? Of course they will always say nice things - I just hope it is correct.

No, of course, I don't expect that they would bag the coach in the media. However, I would have thought if they weren't supportive of the coach, then they wouldn't bother saying ANYTHING at all! Or they would just give some bland general statement like, 'Yeah, we're all behind the coach. We all get on well with him.' Harvey said that Dean 'is a fantastic coach' and 'he's heading us in the right direction ' And he hopes Laidley can be North's coach for the next TEN YEARS. Why would he bother saying all of that if he didn't really mean it????

whykickamoocow said:
missed it, what got said speedy?

They got a bit rushed towards the end of their show and Boomer didn't come on until about 10 to 8 and the interview went about 90 seconds!
Said he's hoping for a big year after a disappointing one last year. Expects Hale to be a big improver. Asked about his brother he said that this is his first uninterrupted pre-season and,although he's not in the squad for Sunday,is confident that if he gets a chance he'll grab it.

What a waste of time. They got to Boomer about 4 mins to news and gave him short shift really.
Nothing new was said.

Said he had a poor year and couldn't blame the stress fracture - if you declare yourself fit to play then you have to perform.

Aiming for a big 05.

Asked about Shane and said he has had a big preseason and will grab his chance when it comes along. Not in the squad this week because we have a full list of small players inc Boomer, Harro and Grant.

Thinks that Corey McKernan is out of the game as he left the track with a small niggle on Wednesday - no point risking him.

Expects Hale to step up as number one ruck - put on another 5 kilos over the off season and is stronger now.

Likes the look of Perkins but not sure if he will play this weekend - sort of hinted he may not make the cut.

Started to say something along the lines of Browny being tried up forward in the Wizard Cup - stopped himself mid sentence and then said he better not give anything away. (Not sure where he would fit with Petire, Thompson and Sav)

Thats about it - all squeezed into four mins or so.

I was disappointed with the questioning - it lacked depth and just saw the same old recycled questions that all of the Kanags have been asked over the last month. Ordinary performance by the AW team who I think usually do very well.

Simpson
Wells
Grant
Harris
Rawlings
Jones
Stevens

We just about have enough midfield depth to play Brent predominately as the forward pocket. I’m not talking 100% of the time. If he played there 60-65%, I reckon he would be good for 40+ goals a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back