Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Screenshot 2016-11-25 20.43.51.png
Predictions from today's Herald Sun. The guy he predicted we'd get didn't go until over pick 50! Looks an interesting player. Speedy, which is good coming through the middle. Hopefully he can add some bite in the forward line. Surprised we went for such a small guy but recruiters often talk about getting the best player available at your pick. If he's that, hopefully it's all good!!

In 10 years when he puts on 10 kgs he will be. Get him down the pub eat a parma every night for the next 10 years and he might get somewhere near it. Tiny, Tiny player. Wont be playing senior footy for a gazillion years.
Isnt Rioli about 65kg and played most games this year improved all the way, if your quick like this kid they have to catch you, he also threw off a much bigger player in his highlights, weight doesnt necessarily equal strength,.at least give yhe kid a chance.

Looks exciting but can we turn a lazy player around?
Thats a shocking beep test and 3km time trial. I was super keen before I saw those figures.

Does anyone in the know know if injuries have plagued his fitness to give him such terrible times

nah mate just a downhill skier. Usually the type of player we don't like but somehow this guy has turned into Cyril Rioli

Tackling? Forward pressure?

This is from quigley:

Bolton does some decent defensive work but I would not say it is a big part of his game at the moment. He is a decent tackler for an outside junior and he will mix it up well for a guy who weighs virtually nothing. He does have a bit of a hunter mentality though and I could see him bringing that to his work as a defensive forward. He has the closing speed to shut defenders down as they are trying to exit the defensive 50.

Usually at junior level defensive pressure and tackling are not prioritized, especially for forwards, they're trying to see if they've got skills first. But his pace and agility should mean he can tackle.

I forgot to respond

Go check the jack Riewoldt thread from where he was drafted people were saying the same stuff.. don't judge before you see him play

He was always making it...I wasnt on BF then but anyone that knew Clarence or the league said he was going to be a star

This is from quigley:

Bolton does some decent defensive work but I would not say it is a big part of his game at the moment. He is a decent tackler for an outside junior and he will mix it up well for a guy who weighs virtually nothing. He does have a bit of a hunter mentality though and I could see him bringing that to his work as a defensive forward. He has the closing speed to shut defenders down as they are trying to exit the defensive 50.

Usually at junior level defensive pressure and tackling are not prioritized, especially for forwards, they're trying to see if they've got skills first. But his pace and agility should mean he can tackle.

I dont know who quigley is. But he seems to be saying he needs a significant amount of work and should expect to play quite a bit of footy in the backline to learn the game. Should like it down there with the big boys.

Isnt Rioli about 65kg and played most games this year improved all the way, if your quick like this kid they have to catch you, he also threw off a much bigger player in his highlights, weight doesnt necessarily equal strength,.at least give yhe kid a chance.

I'll give him a chance. He's a tiger now. I just think its a shocking first pick when Begley was available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know who quigley is. But he seems to be saying he needs a significant amount of work and should expect to play quite a bit of footy in the backline to learn the game. Should like it down there with the big boys.

Quigley didn't say he should play backline, nor does he say that he needs significant amount of work. Many indigenous draftees have a poor tank because they don't train as much for it and they're not in a professional team. Once Bolton gets in expect him to improve on endurance which will help him tackle more.

For the record, Quigley picked him for Brisbane in the phantom draft, must have seen something.

What's that got to do with anything? Nothing to do with my point

Well the point you made rather ineloquently was you trust BF as your draft guide. I'm suggesting you might (if you were so inclined) to re-think that policy and find out for yourself.

Looks a bit like Tambling but I do believe will be much better than him, based on the highlights package!

Welcome to Richmond Shai

Read an article where a recruiter said this kid has done things he had never seen before

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-11-15/why-shai-bolton-stands-out

That was this article. States that he has speed, confidence and instinct. Sounds like Tambling - eek. Anyway, welcome to Punt Rd kid. Hoping for a long and successful career in the YnB for you.

Quigley didn't say he should play backline, nor does he say that he needs significant amount of work. Many indigenous draftees have a poor tank because they don't train as much for it and they're not in a professional team. Once Bolton gets in expect him to improve on endurance which will help him tackle more.

For the record, Quigley picked him for Brisbane in the phantom draft, must have seen something.

Again no idea who Quigley is. Cousin of Mr Squiggle?

With the recruitment of Caddy and Prestia and age profile of other kids on the list, the pick makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's one of the guys who writes phantom drafts on the drafts board, you should check it out, most of them have said nice things about Bolton. He's no perfect prospect but at pick 29, Richmond is unlikely to find one.

Oh...I guess I'll check it out at some point if I've run out of rusty nails to stick in my eyeballs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back