Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah it’s a compromise we wanted 10,11 they wanted 10,18 for Bolton

We essentially gave Bolton + Baker + a future 3rd for 10,11, 18 in a super draft that we can now make a play for pick 2 with.

These are two players that didn’t even want to play with us anymore.

It’s a massive win.
Plus we gave up pick 14 in the Bolton trade.
I don’t believe we got overs. This years pick 14 2025 F3 could be pick 37.
So those two picks along nearly cancels out pick 10.
Picks 11 and 18 for Bolton? Well unders for me.

Coming on this board to gauge the majority's thoughts.

Both supporter bases thought we could have got a tiny bit better out of it, seems about fair.
Win, win.

Except the Eagles. They were gleaned .. 😂

You got an absolute bargain and half this board doesn't know what they're talking about. His best is in the top 10 players in the competition although reliant on having a supporting cast that can stop the opposition from putting as much time into him as the opposition has been able to do the last two seasons. He is going to thrive playing at optus every second week and we are going to regret letting him go for unders.

After all the Academy and FA picks next year our F3 will be lucky if its inside 50.

Also, we'll trade into extra picks next year so doubt we were ever intending to use our F3.

Picks beyond 30 next year are a waste of time given the pool is a lot weaker

After all the Academy and FA picks next year our F3 will be lucky if its inside 50.

Also, we'll trade into extra picks next year so doubt we were ever intending to use our F3.

Picks beyond 30 next year are a waste of time given the pool is a lot weaker
A F3 starts off at P 37. Even with FA’s and academy players, I doubt whether the F3 gets to P50.multiple picks points brings the latter picks down as well. we still gave our pick 14. The F3 was just a little cream on top.
Pick 14 is still substantial and the potential points means we received the equivalent to P11 and 18.
Completely changes the title of this thread

You got an absolute bargain and half this board doesn't know what they're talking about. His best is in the top 10 players in the competition although reliant on having a supporting cast that can stop the opposition from putting as much time into him as the opposition has been able to do the last two seasons. He is going to thrive playing at optus every second week and we are going to regret letting him go for unders.
'in the top 10 players in the competition'
turn it up...
he's a talented individual, top 10 is a long stretch.

Last edited:
"I grew up supporting Freo, it's a surreal feeling that I'm finally going to be playing in the Purple. With my dad having played for Fremantle, it's even more exciting to keep it in the family. What I love about playing at Optus is going out and playing, knowing that all your family is sitting in the stands. Obviously, I didn't have that when I was playing over here in Melbourne - I really only had my partner and my boy - so it's exciting to know I'll have all my family. I'm very excited. I've always loved playing in front of my family, and I'm just super excited that the trade has finally been done. I want to bring my pressure, speed, and a bit of leadership for the boys. I'm looking forward to playing alongside Freddy. He's a pretty unreal player and he’s super-fast. All the boys to be honest. Freo have a very young list with lots of young boys that are just getting to their 100th game. I just can't wait to learn off them and be in a fresh forward line. I'm just super excited to get back home, play alongside, and get to know all the boys."

- Shai Bolton

Not once did he mention Richmond or thank them for their support. A bit disappointing in my opinion. I wish him well...I really do but usually players when being traded will thank the club they are leaving.

"I grew up supporting Freo, it's a surreal feeling that I'm finally going to be playing in the Purple. With my dad having played for Fremantle, it's even more exciting to keep it in the family. What I love about playing at Optus is going out and playing, knowing that all your family is sitting in the stands. Obviously, I didn't have that when I was playing over here in Melbourne - I really only had my partner and my boy - so it's exciting to know I'll have all my family. I'm very excited. I've always loved playing in front of my family, and I'm just super excited that the trade has finally been done. I want to bring my pressure, speed, and a bit of leadership for the boys. I'm looking forward to playing alongside Freddy. He's a pretty unreal player and he’s super-fast. All the boys to be honest. Freo have a very young list with lots of young boys that are just getting to their 100th game. I just can't wait to learn off them and be in a fresh forward line. I'm just super excited to get back home, play alongside, and get to know all the boys."

- Shai Bolton

Not once did he mention Richmond or thank them for their support. A bit disappointing in my opinion. I wish him well...I really do but usually players when being traded will thank the club they are leaving.
He's doing a quick five minute interview with the Freo media guy who's asking him entirely freo related questions. First about his dad playing for freo, then about playing at Optus, and then about who on the team he's most excited to play withh. It's not a proper presser.

Last edited:

11 probably give us the choice of two of of Hotton, Reid, Travaglia, Lindsay.

Pick 14 probably one of the above or Trainor and Berry.

Is the first option worth a future third in a weaker draft? Depends who drops and who we value.

But I’d prefer we pick the best available at the top of this draft at the cost of a throw away third rounder in a weaker one.

- Shai Bolton

We thank him for the picks. That’s all i care about lol.

- Shai Bolton

1000007387.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Shai Bolton

I swear some of you won't be happy unless he gets a 'Thank you Richmond' tattoo on his forehead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back