Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

id rather keep Shai (and Rioli) at all costs, he is one of the few class players we have in an awful team.

We are two - three years behind in development, probably half of our kids make it the other half will fall back to VFL level.

So we need to hit the draft hard, let go of a few players as well.

Just to recap, we are a top tier professional football TEAM with very mediocre players.
Want to argue that then look at the ladder.

I think the biggest question Yze has to ask both Bolton and Baker at the end of the season, are they willing to commit at all costs for the next 3-5 years to a team rebuilding to mentor the youngsters or do they want out to commit to a team in Freo with a chance at a flag in 2025. If both are honest with themselves it gives absolute clarity and deals can be done if needed. As far as Rioli goes, I hope we can keep him partly because of cousin MRJ who looks up to Daniel as his mentor.

I thought Shai has stated that he's not going anywhere?

Until watching the last few weeks and realising we are light years away off contending again.
Personally. I'm worried when I hear things like 'a quick turnaround or rebound' and 'once we get a few players back' as the cupboard is pretty bare and many of those coming back have huge question marks over them.
As I have said before, we have a few players whose reputations have seemed to have grown while they have been absent.

I think the biggest question Yze has to ask both Bolton and Baker at the end of the season, are they willing to commit at all costs for the next 3-5 years to a team rebuilding to mentor the youngsters or do they want out to commit to a team in Freo with a chance at a flag in 2025. If both are honest with themselves it gives absolute clarity and deals can be done if needed. As far as Rioli goes, I hope we can keep him partly because of cousin MRJ who looks up to Daniel as his mentor.

I can see why they wouldn't want to recommit to a rebuild.
Players want success. And especially in this day and age, they want it quickly.

I can see why they wouldn't want to recommit to a rebuild.
Players want success. And especially in this day and age, they want it quickly.
One thing that moving Rioli and Bolton on does is guarantee us a top 2 pick and probably another at around 20 in next year’s draft on top of what we end up with in this year’s.

One thing that moving Rioli and Bolton on does is guarantee us a top 2 pick and probably another at around 20 in next year’s draft on top of what we end up with in this year’s.
Moving on too much class also guarantees that we will completely bottom out.

The youngsters need role models to mentor them.

We do not want to be another North/WCE (don't be fooled by a few good WC games this year).

I don't care what you want to believe. My opinion is different to yours and yours is different to mine.
ok, dont have to be a baby about it.

Confused Little Girl GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Bolton wants to go, we should let a deal get done. Can’t keep players on the list that don’t want to be there.
Papley wanted a trade and swans didn’t do it

No, not even close, yes our position on the ladder is grim but we have struggled to play two weeks in a row without 3 or 4 changes owing to injury, a bit of a normal year with injury next year will show where we are really at, we also have cash and facilities something that we didn't have in our real lowest ebb in the clubs history back when Bartlett was coaching and having to paint the gym in his spare time.
I’m purely talking on field performance lowest ebb in club history and that’s fact , I forecast that when we got players back it’d make little difference to results , that’s how it’s turned out
If we do nothing but turn up with same squad next year we win 0-2w with the bleakest of outlooks and likely requests to leave and nowhere near as good a trades on the table
We need a better plan than sitting on our arses , harvest the draft for talent and produce a base like we did prior to Dimma joining , that’s what works

I’m purely talking on field performance lowest ebb in club history and that’s fact , I forecast that when we got players back it’d make little difference to results , that’s how it’s turned out
If we do nothing but turn up with same squad next year we win 0-2w with the bleakest of outlooks and likely requests to leave and nowhere near as good a trades on the table
We need a better plan than sitting on our arses , harvest the draft for talent and produce a base like we did prior to Dimma joining , that’s what works

Trading Bolton is foolish. Look at the squad and name one player with his talent or ability. There’s bottoming out then there’s becoming North Melbourne who have been stuck there for a very long time.

Apologies, you did say that.

The bit I was railing against was your assertion that the list of 6 small forwards had played better than Bolton over the last 3 years. This imo is just not true.
All good mate.
One thing we can agree on is all of would struggle in our side atm.

Average deal for us, I’ll be disappointed if that gets done.
Bolton is a contracted player, they’ll need to pay overs.
I just don’t think Freo have enough to get both players done
7/12/16 For Bolton & change
Baker & 7 >>>WC>>>3>>us.
1/3/12/16.

Those dweebs talk so much shit.

Dan Houston a major upgrade on Dan Rioli apparently.
Tsatas a perfect fit for us apparently. A pick in the early to mid teens will do it lol flipping clueless

I've haven't heard so much shit since I last listened to Damo Barrett.
good post, a lot on here would despise flogs like cornes, mclure and barrett and rightly so.... but quite a few of those same ones will act in the exact look at me and my footy acumen and wanna be manner with the guessing, speculating and i want to be the storybreaker/scoop/ i told you so annoying, disruptive attitudes. :D

Trading Bolton is foolish. Look at the squad and name one player with his talent or ability. There’s bottoming out then there’s becoming North Melbourne who have been stuck there for a very long time.
Agree
Bolton is probably one of the few players in the league who could win the Coleman, Brownlow, Norm Smith, Mark of the year and Goal of the year all in one season

His talent is immense and hasn’t even hit his prime

It’s not the type of talent you should ever let leave your club without regrets

7/12/16 For Bolton & change
Baker & 7 >>>WC>>>3>>us.
1/3/12/16.
Not sure T O O.
The thing is, how much better is pick 3 than pick 7 in this draft?
I am not sold on trading Bolton.
Bakes , Graham Rioli- yes.
Re Bolton if they really want him then they’ll need to get imaginative, ie multiple clubs, future picks etc…
We are talking an elite talent, this bloke could get them the silverware next year.

My case is that he’s played virtually every game and barely made a difference to our on field performance, I can recall a half v saints where he lit it up apart from that , gone thru the motions ,,, and I rate shai

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back