Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m purely talking on field performance lowest ebb in club history and that’s fact , I forecast that when we got players back it’d make little difference to results , that’s how it’s turned out
If we do nothing but turn up with same squad next year we win 0-2w with the bleakest of outlooks and likely requests to leave and nowhere near as good a trades on the table
We need a better plan than sitting on our arses , harvest the draft for talent and produce a base like we did prior to Dimma joining , that’s what works
I dont know if you have fully taken into account that this is also probably the worse year we have ever had injury wise and although we have still fielded a full team two weeks back we played 9 players with under 32 games, add to that rarely being able to have any consistency in the team as soon as we get a player back we lose 3 others, add a new coach/game plan and we were on a hiding to none this year.

Agree that we need to hit the draft hard over the next year or two as we need a good base before the Devils take all the early picks, I just dont think things are quite as bad as they currently appear.

I dont know if you have fully taken into account that this is also probably the worse year we have ever had injury wise and although we have still fielded a full team two weeks back we played 9 players with under 32 games, add to that rarely being able to have any consistency in the team as soon as we get a player back we lose 3 others, add a new coach/game plan and we were on a hiding to none this year.

Agree that we need to hit the draft hard over the next year or two as we need a good base before the Devils take all the early picks, I just dont think things are quite as bad as they currently appear.

Not having a go at you, but when did 32 games become some benchmark.
We had nine players under 32 games.
Next week you will tell me we had nine players under 40 games.
Amazing what such randon numbers people come up with to try and prove something.

Not having a go at you, but when did 32 games become some benchmark.

Next week you will tell me we had nine players under 40 games.
Amazing what such randon numbers people come up with to try and prove something.
The point was its pretty much accepted that you will struggle in certain areas, for example playing out a whole game if a large portion of your team is still in its first year or two playing seniors or as a generalisation having played under 50 games.

By the way I imagine if we had 9 players with under 32 games then we probably also had 9 players with under 40 games:think:

Trading Bolton is foolish. Look at the squad and name one player with his talent or ability. There’s bottoming out then there’s becoming North Melbourne who have been stuck there for a very long time.
Some common sense.

Thank god. I thought everyone on here had gone flipping crazy.

Trading Bolton is foolish. Look at the squad and name one player with his talent or ability. There’s bottoming out then there’s becoming North Melbourne who have been stuck there for a very long time.

It's going to be a fun trade period if Bolton comes out and says he wants to go back home LOL

We'll have:
  • Richmond supporters saying gives us all your picks Freo
  • Richmond supporters saying, no don't do it Richmond its foolish, we'll become North Melbourne
  • Freo supporters going Yes, we want Bolton but here take a 1st rounder or 2, but we want 2nd rounders back so we can get him for a steal and rape you blind.
  • Freo Supporters going no we don't want Bolton at all we have 3 1st round picks.

It's going to be a fun trade period if Bolton comes out and says he wants to go back home LOL

We'll have:
  • Richmond supporters saying, no don't do it Richmond its foolish, we'll become North Melbourne
  • Freo supporters going Yes, we want Bolton but here take a 1st rounder or 2, but we want 2nd rounders back so we can get him for a steal and rape you blind.
  • Freo Supporters going no we don't want Bolton at all we have 3 1st round picks.
If he comes out and says he wants to leave, then that changes things.

Option 4 would be funny. Shai ends up at WCE :tearsofjoy:

Not sure T O O.
The thing is, how much better is pick 3 than pick 7 in this draft?
I am not sold on trading Bolton.
Bakes , Graham Rioli- yes.
Re Bolton if they really want him then they’ll need to get imaginative, ie multiple clubs, future picks etc…
We are talking an elite talent, this bloke could get them the silverware next year.
Yeah I know.its a hard one with draft being so good this year.
But I do like the Draper & Jagga combo.
I'd rather keep Dan.
He looks like he puts in week in week out.
Not sure shai does.

I mentioned about a month ago when our team returned close enough to full strength that our performances would be telling , I feared they wouldn’t change much ,,,and that’s been the case. In order to re build this team we need to take a broad view of what we need first ,,,,blue chip hybrid mid and talented key forward that will hopefully become that f50 threat we desperately lack are both foremost needs Shai role if you were starting with a blank canvas whilst not the last to be filled , not the first either . In which case if we can trade for valuable pics then they can be reinvested focused on our priorities

I agree but for the right price we should entertain it if that what he wants.

If and assuming he does want to go, we just need to make it crystal clear to both him and Freo that there will be no trade whatsoever without amazing compensation. I mean way way way overs. I mean twice his current worth.
If not, suck it up and honour your contract.

When and if the time comes, I'd be shutting Freo and Bolton's manager pretty quickly and telling them not to waste our time unless you can come up with a 'offer too good to refuse'. Thoughts of getting him cheaply are completely delusional.

Yeah I know.its a hard one with draft being so good this year.
But I do like the Draper & Jagga combo.
I'd rather keep Dan.
He looks like he puts in week in week out.
Not sure shai does.
That’s a point , shai really should be winning our bf , won’t finish top 4
Rioli
Vlas
Nank
Baker

We'll have:
I know you're just suggesting it (and it's probably fact) but other than delusional Freo supporters and the moronic AFL media thinking it's right - that just won't happen.
Never in a million years. Why would we do that? We hold all the cards. Every single one.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is a complete idiot. AFL media carnts I'm looking at you, dickheads!

I agree but for the right price we should entertain it if that what he wants.

If and assuming he does want to go, we just need to make it crystal clear to both him and Freo that there will be no trade whatsoever without amazing compensation. I mean way way way overs. I mean twice his current worth.
If not, suck it up and honour your contract.

When and if the time comes, I'd be shutting Freo and Bolton's manager pretty quickly and telling them not to waste our time unless you can come up with a 'offer too good to refuse'. Thoughts of getting him cheaply are completely delusional.

Exactly if Freo decide to **** about as if this is Facebook marketplace they can FRO. 2 firsts and that’s it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you on talent.

But Shai is not he player to drag a bottom team up. He's an offensive weapon of the highest caliber. In a team that can't generate offence he's largely wasted. Losing him will hurt, a lot. But if we can get a really good return we can rebuild much more strongly.

Unfortunately all I can see Shai doing is making us a little less shellgrit before we rebuild and he is towards the end of his period of elite performance. He might get a premiership or w with the Purple haze, and we get a very good dshot at one of two high end players for the next decade plus.

I know it's not definite, but Shai isn't the guy we need whilst at the bottom.

Average deal for us, I’ll be disappointed if that gets done.
Bolton is a contracted player, they’ll need to pay overs.
I just don’t think Freo have enough to get both players done
And would they have celery cap,space or expect us to stump up?

I think the biggest question Yze has to ask both Bolton and Baker at the end of the season, are they willing to commit at all costs for the next 3-5 years to a team rebuilding to mentor the youngsters or do they want out to commit to a team in Freo with a chance at a flag in 2025. If both are honest with themselves it gives absolute clarity and deals can be done if needed. As far as Rioli goes, I hope we can keep him partly because of cousin MRJ who looks up to Daniel as his mentor.
Sadly we are losing all the Brothers ….sigh

Until watching the last few weeks and realising we are light years away off contending again.
Personally. I'm worried when I hear things like 'a quick turnaround or rebound' and 'once we get a few players back' as the cupboard is pretty bare and many of those coming back have huge question marks over them.
As I have said before, we have a few players whose reputations have seemed to have grown while they have been absent.
People forget a lot of our “returning” players are long term injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Trade Requested For Right Deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back